Author Topic: Jaguar XE to Debut All-New Connected Car Technology  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Jaguar XE to Debut All-New Connected Car Technology
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:44:18 am »

Jaguar joins the connected-car party with all-new XE.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Jaguar XE to Debut All-New Connected Car Technology
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
Lolz, the HUD in the image shows that the speed limit is 60km/h, the cruise-control is set to 60km/h, and the Jag is 'currently travelling' at 65km/h.

JB, where was the humour in this article?!  Fine, it's a press release, you are forgiven...

The pre-heating/cooling is interesting, but I'm assuming that will require a remote engine start and a waste of gas.  As far as the 'locating stolen vehicle' is concerned, if my vehicle is stolen, I don't want it back.

My colleague's Camry was just stolen.  It was involved in 2 hit and runs before being ditched in a...ditch.  It was recovered and won't start.  Despite all the damage (front and back end), the insurer wants to repair it.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:37:31 pm »
Lolz, the HUD in the image shows that the speed limit is 60km/h, the cruise-control is set to 60km/h, and the Jag is 'currently travelling' at 65km/h.

JB, where was the humour in this article?!  Fine, it's a press release, you are forgiven...

The pre-heating/cooling is interesting, but I'm assuming that will require a remote engine start and a waste of gas.  As far as the 'locating stolen vehicle' is concerned, if my vehicle is stolen, I don't want it back.

My colleague's Camry was just stolen.  It was involved in 2 hit and runs before being ditched in a...ditch.  It was recovered and won't start.  Despite all the damage (front and back end), the insurer wants to repair it.

no kidding!   same here.

I'm not a fan of all this technology... just more stuff to breakdown.

"roaming wi-fi hotspot"  ...... seriously?   can people not live online for 5 freakin minutes?
and if you need a GPS to find you're car in a parklot (in which YOU parked it) maybe it's time to give up driving.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:43:56 pm »

no kidding!   same here.

I'm not a fan of all this technology... just more stuff to breakdown.

"roaming wi-fi hotspot"  ...... seriously?   can people not live online for 5 freakin minutes?
and if you need a GPS to find you're car in a parklot (in which YOU parked it) maybe it's time to give up driving.

I've used roaming wi-fi hotspots and so has my wife (as passengers) when we have work to do but also need to travel to something. Let's say you have an urgent report to finish by 6pm, but you also have dinner with the in-laws at 6pm and you'll be in traffic for 1.5 hours - while I'm driving she can work, and vice-versa. It's incredibly helpful for busy people.

GPS might be useful if for example you parked on a Saturday morning, drove off, came back at lunch, met your wife, and then gave her the keys while you went in for your haircut. She might need to find the car to dump shopping/get the wallet you accidentally left in the car etc etc.

As for tracking the car - it's not necessarily so you can get it back. I had a GPS locator on one of my old motorbikes, If it was stolen I didn't want it back, but I wanted to be able to catch the worthless sack of crap that stole it.

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »
+1 on not wanting my stolen car back. If it did get stolen I'd give the bad guys a head start before reporting it. Secretly I'd be hoping to begin car shopping.   :banana:

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »
Secretly I'd be hoping to begin car shopping.   :banana:

I hope everyday I'll walk up and look in the driveway to see a white Toyota Matrix has gone missing!
 :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »

I've used roaming wi-fi hotspots and so has my wife (as passengers) when we have work to do but also need to travel to something. Let's say you have an urgent report to finish by 6pm, but you also have dinner with the in-laws at 6pm and you'll be in traffic for 1.5 hours - while I'm driving she can work, and vice-versa. It's incredibly helpful for busy people.

GPS might be useful if for example you parked on a Saturday morning, drove off, came back at lunch, met your wife, and then gave her the keys while you went in for your haircut. She might need to find the car to dump shopping/get the wallet you accidentally left in the car etc etc.

As for tracking the car - it's not necessarily so you can get it back. I had a GPS locator on one of my old motorbikes, If it was stolen I didn't want it back, but I wanted to be able to catch the worthless sack of crap that stole it.
[/quote]
I can't argue with your hotspot statement but to say that if I try to work in a moving vehicle, it better have vomit-resistant seats and plenty of air fresheners...

You raise a good point about when leaving the car for another family member to pick up.  Papa Noto and I do that ALL the time.  I'll be at work and leave it in the parking lot, but it's a big parking lot and I don't always get the same parking spot (or parking area) depending on how busy it is.

...then again, my dad wouldn't be the one to use the app any way :P

As for catching the worthless-sack-of-crap, as gratifying as that may be, typically, the car is found and cannot be linked to said sack-of-crap, after which, your vehicle is returned to you with numerous bodily fluids that you do not want in your car.  See:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/18/selfie-incrimination--stolen-car-victim-tracks-x-rated-clues-on-camera-memory-card

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »
The disturbing part of that is that the manager knows who the woman is, but the Police haven't yet arrested them...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »
The disturbing part of that is that the manager knows who the woman is, but the Police haven't yet arrested them...
In a world lacking loyalty, you'll find loyalty in the strangest of places.  Case-in-point, we have one client who was walking along a side-walk (older lady, walks slowly) and she was struck by a car reversing.  We found the driver (because it was her house), but she was driving her friend's car.  Normally we'd just sue the driver, but she was driving without insurance and the owner of the vehicle was also not insured.  In that case, we have to sue both of them, and so we did.  When it came time to serve them with the claim, we served the driver, but she won't tell us where her friend is so we can serve him.  In the end, we just got a court order to substitute service on her instead, so she had to cover both her and his portions of the claim ;D  sucka.

...except as soon as she got that court Order, she quickly provided us with his address, phone number, e-mail address, and everything else we wanted to know about him.

There are some real winners in this world.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 02:42:37 pm »
Rats always squeak when you begin to squeeze them, its their nature.
while I appreciate (and agree with) the sentiment, that woman is no rat (because rats are cute and fuzzy, she's more of a witch with green skin, warts, and mappy hair).

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »
Rats always squeak when you begin to squeeze them, its their nature.
while I appreciate (and agree with) the sentiment, that woman is no rat (because rats are cute and fuzzy, she's more of a witch with green skin, warts, and mappy hair).

do you have a pet rat?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
do you have a pet rat?
I had 3.  Bitey, Bitey Jr., and Chompsky.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »
do you have a pet rat?

A lawyer with rats?   :-X :-X :-X :-X  :stick: ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 03:23:58 pm »
do you have a pet rat?

I was doing my Master's at that time (in Science, not law).  "Someone adopt these rats or they will be destroyed."
OH NO, NOT BITEY!!!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »
The attached image is a list of things that are good about rats:  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »
The attached image is a list of things that are good about rats:  :rofl2:
The list is empty.

...oh wait...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 03:47:25 pm »
do you have a pet rat?

I was doing my Master's at that time (in Science, not law).  "Someone adopt these rats or they will be destroyed."
OH NO, NOT BITEY!!!

You're a good guy Noto. Especially for a lawyer.  ;D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 05:02:37 pm »
I'd expect the screen to be bigger...being a 'new' system. 8in screens made their way to mainstream cars and it just doesn't feel premium anymore. My 2 cents.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »
You're a good guy Noto. Especially for a lawyer.  ;D
I am to the legal profession as tooscoops is to the automotive sales industry  :rofl2: