Author Topic: Comparison Test: Five compact CUVs  (Read 44505 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Comparison Test: Five compact CUVs
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »
Great write up guys, took awhile to read all that, and go through the pictures and comments.  But it's worth it.  I forgot to sit in the new Honda CR-V at the Autoshow, I was too interested in the CX-5.  Maybe it's because I don't sit in enough of these CUV's but the interior in the CX-5 just looked average for me.  The Equinox felt better, although bigger as noted by the reviewers.  But the LT AWD is the same price as the CX-5 GS AWD.  Impressive exterior looks and fuel economy on the Mazda.  To replace my 2008 Mazda6, I will be looking at the Mazda CX-5, the Equinox, CR-V, and VW Golf Wagon TDI. Not the new Escape, new interior is just too radical for me (and I'm young!), I like it simple, and the new Ford's stuff way too much crap in there.

With the CR-V not sure how the new one compares to the old one.  I think that would be an interesting comparision, old generation vs new: CR-V, Escape, Civic, Camry.  These big volume sellers, that sometimes don't have a lot of changes, so is it worth spending the extra money, or getting huge rebates and better financing and the older generations they are clearing out!
Just like the CX-7, with the base GX model, you don't have to get that darn 2.3 turbo, and it comes well equipped.  So for about $6000 less than the CX-5, you get about 15% worse fuel economy and no stick, but it's a decent ride.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 01:43:40 pm »
Understanding that you good ppl have little choice in trims levels, lets hope one day the mold can be broken and tested cars are more representative of what ppl actual buy which are the volume units in 2wd (base and medium trim).

And what's with this stock tire vs snow tire business.  That's a first.  :)

I didn't even need to read the results to know the Rogue finished last.  ;D

I've been saying on this forum for months that the new CRV is the best in class (base trim).

As far as the Rav V6 is concerned:  It's a hauler none of the others can match if you need that sort of thing.

Which brings me back to my original issue:  let's try for a comparo in base trims (2wd) where the vehicles are much less likable that are likely to come with crappy tires like snows.  :) 

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »
Great, well-written article. Think you ranked them the same way I would, although I'd personally get the CX-5 if the engine performance is liveable (or Tiguan).

I found the interior impression somewhat different between a CR-V EX and Touring, which is where trim levels can really come into play. That said, it still covers nearly all the bases well as the article emphasizes.

Looking forward to future comparos.

AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »
Understanding that you good ppl have little choice in trims levels, lets hope one day the mold can be broken and tested cars are more representative of what ppl actual buy which are the volume units in 2wd (base and medium trim).

I didn't even need to read the results to know the Rogue finished last.  ;D

I've been saying on this forum for months that the new CRV is the best in class (base trim).

As far as the Rav V6 is concerned:  It's a hauler none of the others can match if you need that sort of thing.

Which brings me back to my original issue:  let's try for a comparo in base trims (2wd) where the vehicles are much less likable that are likely to come with crappy tires like snows.  :) 

We just get what was supplied and were expecting them all to come with snows.  But your RAV4 comment echo's ours, it is a great hauler if you need that capability.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
No wonder you needed more room for your gear. If you buy anymore, you might be upgrading to a Suburban :P

Well, and here's the thing.  I was interested in making sure that a small CUV wasn't what I needed, and it was confirmed.  Just that gear really filled up the cargo area, in every model (and that wasn't even all of it - missing were clothing, cooking equipment, separate beverage cooler, etc.)  Add a carpool with one other person and their camping gear in one of those, and you end up having to put the seats down.  I can do that in the Jetta (and I have).  To me, these were more like fun, slightly-oversized hatches.

Obviously, my cargo needs are different from the average person.  I'm glad I went one size up in my choice of new vehicle.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »
Some random pics from the test in non-random order:

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:26 pm »

One of my comments, which didn't make it into the final article:  "Oh, my God.  Steve was right.  Should we tell him?"   :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »

One of my comments, which didn't make it to the final article:  "Oh, my God.  Steve was right.  Should we tell him?"   :rofl2:

LOL.....How painful was THAT to say??   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:14 pm »

One of my comments, which didn't make it into the final article:  "Oh, my God.  Steve was right.  Should we tell him?"   :rofl2:

Classic.  :rofl2:

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:38 pm »

The winter tires decision is made by the PR branch of each individual manufacturer and as you can imagine, we can't dictate their tire choices. Unfortunately for Mazda, mother nature didn't bless us with a snow storm in which to test the AWD systems, which we were initially hoping for when we arranged the test, and it could very well have changed the results as it would have given us some extra measure of testing that we would have applied to the scoring.

Same goes for model selection—we can't dictate that they should have a FWD model on fleet, but I agree that for the rematch, it would be ideal to have FWD model and test for best efficiency, since we likely won't have conditions that present any need for AWD if we can get it done this summer-fall. Cross your fingers.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:24 pm »

Then again, many might not know who this 'Roger' guy is ;D

I dunno...but I heard he was a tool.... ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »

Then again, many might not know who this 'Roger' guy is ;D

I dunno...but I heard he was a tool.... ;D

You haven't seen my dimples.  :P

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »
I really like the CRV's I crawled through at the auto show.  Very nice layout, decent materials.  It seems Honda was listening to what was being said about the Civic re-do and made sure they didn't make the same mistakes in the interior of the CRV.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »

One of my comments, which didn't make it to the final article:  "Oh, my God.  Steve was right.  Should we tell him?"   :rofl2:

LOL.....How painful was THAT to say??   :rofl:

I heard it, wasn't sure if I should include it, lol

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 02:08:54 pm »

I heard it, wasn't sure if I should include it, lol

You heard it...but you said "Nah, that's not what I just heard, was it?"  :rofl:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:20 pm »
We just get what was supplied and were expecting them all to come with snows.  But your RAV4 comment echo's ours, it is a great hauler if you need that capability.

Obviously there's nothing you can say to the companies.  Free is free.

Universally it appears that they always insist on putting their full jammers out for testing and sometimes for good reason.   In some models there is a huge disconnect between the base and loaded trims.

The lower trims express more of the "stark reality" of the vehicle:  more noise, thiner tires, crappier seats, wearing "radio" performance.  A little closer to real LIFE.  :D   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »
Did I mention that CRV in base trim is the best in class?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »
Here are my thoughts on fifth through third:

Nissan Rogue

The first surprise – and a pleasant one at that – came upon entering the vehicle – I did not remember the Rogue being so nice inside.  The seats are really terrific – a pleaasing combination of soft comfort and support – and the contrasting stitching on the leather lent an upscale touch.  While the conservative dash layout may border on the dull for some, the quality of materials and the fitment were beyond reproach.    It was one of only two entrants with soft-touch dash materials.  Even the lovely CR-V layout is hard as a rock to the touch.  Given  the comparable level of equipment, the minimalist layout of the dash presents as something of an ergonomic accomplishment to me.

A few interior foibles stood out, however.  Despite equipping the Rogue with a smart key, Nissan saw fit to retain a vestigial ignition switch which one has to actually twist to start the motor.  It’s not like Nissan hasn’t heard of the whole push-button thing, they just inexplicably left it off this model.  As mentioned in the review, the lack of a telescoping steering wheel made it difficult for some (not me) to find a comfortable driving position.

The Rogue also proved a capable, if not quite nimble, handler.  I felt like I was riding higher in this (and the Rav) versus the others, but the limits presented clearly and the Rogue felt entirely composed within them.  I had no difficulty keeping pace through some of the more demanding sections.

But that doesn’t mean the experience was entirely pleasant.  The Achilles heel for the Rogue is it’s powertrain – a comparatively coarse an raucous motor coupled to a CVT transmission that tended to exacerbate those qualities.  Hard acceleration brings an unrelenting din of NVH as the transmission sends the revs up and keeps them there.  And while power is entirely adequate, the thrust doesn’t seem  quite commensurate with the thrash.  Driven sedately, the powertrain doesn’t call much attention to itself.  But if your driving experience embraces the occasional highway merge, the Rogue will have you gritting your teeth until you get up to cruising speed.

Toyota RAV 4

I rented almost the exact equivalent of our test car for a week when in vacation in Florida 3-4 years ago.  I came away from that with a lot of respect and admiration for the vehicle – strong, smooth power, massive cargo space.  The RAV 4 didn’t get any worse, but the segment competitors are all significantly improved.  Amongst this new lot, it was a bottom feeder.

Once past the twin virtues of space and pace, there is little else to recommend.  The design looks and feels dated – both inside and out.  I could never get fully comfortable in the driver’s seat despite constant fiddling.  And while ample power is always good, in this case the extra helping under the hood only served to underscore the limitations of the chassis.  This car was by far the most discomposed by the twisty bits.

If I had to do airport runs as a daily chore, this one would get the nod.  As an everyday conveyance over years of ownership, however, it would come in last on my purchase scorecard.

Hyundai Tucson

The biggest surprise of the group to me was the Hyundai Tucson.  Not because of its mid-pack finish (which I more or less expected) but because it was clearly the sports car of the group.  That’s right – not the zoom-zoom Mazda, but the Hyundai.  I did not see that coming.  And what a pleasant surprise it was.  This was the best handling ride of the bunch in the twisties – lots of grip, minimal lean and an eagerness for the corners that was downright entertaining.  One memorable 4-wheel drift around a slow, sandy curve still makes me grin.

The downside of the crisp handling is that it came at the clear expense of ride comfort, as the stiff-kneed Tucson also jiggled, bumped and crashed over broken pavement more than most, making the ride seem altogether too busy when you weren’t caning it.

The powertrain was pleasant enough – never leaving me wanting for more (power) or less (noise).

I’m not sure how the interior dimensions compare, but the Tucson interior did impress as being somewhere between intimate and slightly claustrophobic.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »
Jaeger

Call me crazy, but of those, the CR-V is the best looking of the bunch. I always do a double-take when I see one of the new CR-V's on the road. Beautiful design.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:37 pm »

Jaeger
*sigh*  Not a looker in the bunch.  :(