Author Topic: 2015,5 Ford Escape (Kuga) Long-Term Test  (Read 10139 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
2015,5 Ford Escape (Kuga) Long-Term Test
« on: October 15, 2015, 02:26:36 pm »
"Oh good! Something relevant for the North American market !" You're probably thinking, and you're right :)

As I mentioned, I had to swap cars at the request of Hertz. Alas, I didn't get the diesel subcompact of my dreams. Unlike North America, rental cars are reserved and assigned to customers so by the time they'd told me "Wir haben für Sie ein Ford Kuga bestellt, es kommt nächste Dienstag", it was far too late to ask for a normal 3 pedal car.

And that's the first thing I notice every time I get into the Kuga......the seating position and shifter are perfectly set up for a manual transmission and clutch. Often I want push my left foot down into nothing when I press the start button. Oh well.

So for the remaining 2 months, I will be testing this Frost White (200 € optional paint) 2015,5 Ford Kuga Titanium 4x4. This has the same drivetrain as my previous Ford, a 2 litre TDCi engine paired with the 6-speed DCT driving all 4 wheels, and equipped (by law) with Goodyear Winter tires. The LED parking lights (front and rear) jazz up the looks, otherwise.....why do so many rental cars have to be white?

The interior is the standard fare with the Titanium trim: Black leather/cloth sport seats with adjustable lumbar for both passenger and driver, although no height adjustment for the co-driver this time. I lose the Driver Assist and safety features that I had on the Mondeo (they are available as option packages) so sadly, no more Speed limit recognition, High beam assistant, City Braking Function, Blind Spot Monitoring, or Lane Assist. So a more "normally" equipped vehicle then.

It still has the nice Winter package, a nice touch given it's been dreary and max of 4° the last couple days (enough to prompt the ice warning), and I already like the more compact size and feel versus the CD4 platform (Mondeo/Fusion). However, the blind spot is annoying when backing up. The ergonomics without the dreaded MyFordTouch are improved, and I don't even mind the basic-spec Navi (Sync 2 is optional).

I'll report more on this over the next two months. If you all have any questions on the Kuga/Escape, ask away :)

2015,5 Ford Kuga Titanium
Moteur: 2,0 4-cyl TDCi. 180 PS and 400Nm torque. All-wheel drive (standard)
Transmission: 6-speed DCT
Consumption (official combined) 5,5 l/100km; 140 g/km CO²
Acceleration 0-100km/h: 10,0 s
Top Speed: 200km/h
Final Assembly Plant: Valencia, (ES)

Notable features equipped:
Winter package, inclusiv heated seats front, heated windshield, heated exterior mirrors
Parking Assistant, front & rear PDC, camera
Xenon headlamps with cornering lights
Comfort Access. And yes, the hands-free bootlid release works.

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: 2015,5 Ford Escape (Kuga) Long-Term Test
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »
What an ugly interior

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:39:18 pm »
What an ugly interior

Sort of. I'm actually sort of okay with it. Its trying to be cool in a cheap and cheerful sort of way which befits the car itself. So I think its fine.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »
I rented an Escape a few years ago, and agree the interior is horrid. The trucklet was okay overall, but there's nothing special enough about it to make me want to put up with the interior.

Fiat 500 is a good example of cheap and cheerful, IMO. This is just ugly.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »
I am not a big fan of the non-NAV interior...this looks very rich to me though:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:38:34 pm »
^I don't ever want to see that big screen Sync 2 pictured above again. That hateful, slow, distracting system.  :stfu: Looks pretty, totally aggravating. And dangerous.

I took an unplanned trip to Berlin this weekend. Was planning on taking the train, but between me waking up late and the timetable not working out right, it was better to drive.

The interior may not "look" fancy, but it works well. Much moreso than the Mondeo/Fusion, all the switches and buttons fall to hand perfectly. With the CD4 platform, I was reaching for the window switches and a lot of the buttons were "after thoughts" for functions not used in the US/Canada, like the power folding mirrors or the terrible vents that blasted air at passengers' heads. With the Kuga/Escape, I can switch between audio modes with dedicated buttons, cancel/adjust nav with a simple push of a button, etc....instead of wading thru menus on a touchscreen. Also, although it has very limited Voice Control, the Voice Guidance is available in a variety of langauges now so it's thoroughly intuitive for me (by default, in french). Unfortunately, my vehicle doesn't have the 230V charger in the back row (optional).

There's also nice details, like a sliding armrest and even a clever CD tray that I didn't previously have ! The board computer also displays the navi guidance at a glance and reacts a lot faster than the Sync 2 system does. Also, the driver's always able to see the position of the light switch thru the steering wheel spoke, a nice touch when you want to check whether you've left it in Auto or Off.

Unfortunately, I've got "too much engine" for this car. The 2.0 litre diesel in 180 PS tune makes a lot of power but combined with the taller body, it also increases consumption to pretty high levels. For a stretch of 150km, I averaged 132 km/h and a thirsty 8,3 l/100km. However, the engine is brand new so it's not broken in yet; thus I'm limiting my maximum speed to 160km/h until approx 2000km.

So far, so good then  :thumbup:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:47:19 pm by mlin32 »

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »
That armrest looks pretty well identical to what I have in the focus

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:34:21 pm »
USB things that stick straight up and outwards always freak me out. A poor USB key could snap and leave its front end in the port!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:07:44 pm »

Ford's gone down the overstyled path with their interiors, but yeah, this is better looking than the other interior. I've never had issues with MFT, but I don't feel the need to endlessly mess with controls while driving.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 12:15:55 pm »

Ford's gone down the overstyled path with their interiors, but yeah, this is better looking than the other interior. I've never had issues with MFT, but I don't feel the need to endlessly mess with controls while driving.
I tend to switch between radio/CD/AUX quite a bit. If there's something good on FM (there often is, in Europe), I stick to that. Get bored? Swap to CD or AUX. During longer drives where congestion is a concern, TP will switch to any traffic reports on FM automatically if I switch it on. With this interior, I just push the button for the radio, CD, or AUX, easy.

The other plus point with the basic/standard navi is that it operates much faster, allowing destination input on the go and the screen is close enough to the horizon that the road and signs are in periphery vision. The graphics aren't rich but well, I wasn't expecting that. It's easy to use, fast, and intuitive (to me). Having the arrow display with clear graphics on roundabout exits is always a bonus too, plus it also has colour-coded lane guidage, with road signage as well.

The voice guidance is also more informative in the sense it provides/speaks about the traffic obstruction. For example, mine stated "Attention ! Travaux à la voie gauche, circulation pertubée." (Caution, construction in the left lane, slow traffic) In contrast, the system in the Ford Mondeo/Fusion stated simply "Traffic obstruction ahead!" for every situation. I don't know if this is system-based or vehicle-based; haven't tried the Sync2 system in the Escape.

So I like the logic behind this car a lot better, a lot less frustrating. The shorter feature list is a small price to pay for a layout and Operating System that's more logicial.

Thus far, the only notable complaint, aside from the consumption, is the tire noise from the winter tires. The car isn't as quiet as the Mondeo/Fusion, more wind noise above 130km/h, although that could be attributed to the crossover/SUV profile. Also, I wonder why Ford moved the central locking button to the doors......it used to be properly located in the centre console (duh! Central locking button) but now it's on the doors. I don't use this button much at all but was trying to find it when driving through Kreuzberg.....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:20:03 pm by mlin32 »

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 12:17:45 pm »
If I had an Escape, I would have to rebadge it a Kuga.....thats just fun to say  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 01:27:11 pm »
If I had an Escape, I would have to rebadge it a Kuga.....thats just fun to say  ;D

Ku-ga....koo-gah....Cougar!

...and a pc pic for that other use of the name:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 03:28:28 pm »

Ku-ga....koo-gah....Cougar!

...and a pc pic for that other use of the name:

I never even thought about it.....hahahahahha

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
Update @ 2100km

The last couple weekends have been a bit driving-intensive. Each Saturday I did day-trips in effort to cut down on accomodation costs and well, I'm kind of tired of sleeping in hôtels every weekend.

On 24 Nov I drove 2h to Hambourg, just 150km. This consisted mostly of flat country roads as seen below. I'll try to upload a short video or two next week when my internet is faster. While ideal for fuel consumption purposes, the Kuga continues to fall short. The average over such "perfect" conditions was 6,6 l/100km, a good 20% variance from the 5,5 l/100km combined ECE cycle figure. I think the winter tires (Goodyear Ultragrip V-rated Performance) are partly to blame, as is the standard AWD, but the throttle is noticeably aggressive, judging by how fast the instant consumption numbers jump.

Still not bad though; the 355km roundtrip only consumed less than half a tank, about 26 litres or so and that included about 80km of autobahn (I get it already, you guys think I'm a psycopath on the autobahn when I'm really only 60th percentile in reality).

However, I think this 180PS engine is too much "motor" for the Kuga, and the fact it comes standard with AWD doesn't help (although it quells the torque steer problem from the Mondeo). I recommend people stick with the 150PS version of the 2.0 TDCi; that way you can get the front-drive version and fewer CO² emissions, both of which save €€€€ on upfront and tax cost.

Consumption aside, there's surprisingly little that irritates me about this car. Usually I find something glaring that I gripe about forever and ever, but the Escape/Kuga is generally beyond reproach. The euro-narrow seats are comfortable with good lateral and adjustable lumbar support for long drives, the DCT shifts seamlessly, and the engine is quieter here than in the Mondeo. Brakes are strong and easy to modulate, the chassis is well-controlled, though the extra height over a Focus goes noticed in the same way a Tiguan feels taller than a Golf. The steering is a tad light. The wind noise could be better isolated against, but again, this is a crossover so physics is not in its favour.

The sat nav and audio system is bang-on, clear, and concise while being easy to use on the move. The xenons are not bi-xenons but the halogen full beams are more than sufficient, and the headlamp controls are way better than in the North American version- the knobs are better shaped and the backlighting strength is easily adjusted by a knob. The board computer brightness is still a bit too strong at night and the centre display cannot be turned off- stick with the amber lighting Ford; it's easier on the eyes. The details extend to the cruise control and Speed Limiter, which can be completely operated by feel due the different shape/angle of the rocker switches; I also love the "pull in case of panic" cancel switch  :thumbup:.....designed by people who know what they're doing.

Assuming the North American Escape isn't watered down too much, I think this is tops in class. It's a good drive, clear and intuitive interior details, and has a no-nonsense attitude to things. I like that; all goodness in the basics, no excess frills to distract. Priced right too; this one lands right around 30 k€ (inkl. 19% VAT, registration, fees in Germany).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:44:53 pm by mlin32 »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 04:24:28 pm »
^^^ wondering what you'd say of the 2.0T with 240hp, 0-60mph in 7s! The 1.6T has about 178hp and I find it sluggish in the Escape.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »
On 24 Nov I drove 2h to Hambourg, just 150km.

Is this a back to future review  ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 03:59:01 am »
^^^ wondering what you'd say of the 2.0T with 240hp, 0-60mph in 7s! The 1.6T has about 178hp and I find it sluggish in the Escape.
That may be true, but the 2.0 TDCi in 180PS tune also produces 400Nm of torque @ 2000-2500rpm, so there's a lot of woah when one dips more than halfway down the throttle pedal. Overtaking 80-120km/h is done quickly in 4th, and I often use the speed limiter around town, lest I quickly exceed 50km/h. Top speed is 200km/h but the lower tune only loses 10km/h off the top end.

The only petrol versions (Benziner auf deutsch) are the 1,5 litre with either 150PS (6-speed manual only) or 182 PS (6-speed automatic only), but given the marketedly higher consumption, I cannot imagine many people buying those here.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »
I didn't expect it to snow during my time in Germany, but it did, especially in the Harz Mountains, so this is a nice bonus AWD/snow review with the update.

Since snow was in the forecast for Sunday, up to 15cm for locations in the Harz above 700m, I did what every other German did......and spent the Sunday driving there to explore  :P. I'm used to more snow removal/road treatment (Germany uses no salt/sand), so the mountain roads were on the tricky side. But no fear! I have all-wheel drive and snow tires !  :skid:

Well, here's the annoying bit about the AWD part. It's still one of those more related to slip-and-grip types....it's somewhat proactive. If the car thinks it's going up a hill, it tosses some power back. If there's some sharper corners, it sends some power back. But after things level out and assuming there's no slippage, the power goes back only to the front wheels. I'm not sure I really want something that simplistic when driving 70km/h on a snow-covered road. As with every diesel car, there's going to be wheelspin starting off but like every other German, I don't give a damn and just let the wheels scrabble and the AWD sort itself out, countersteering when needed. So functionally the AWD system is fine, if not advanced or spectacular as say, BMW's xDrive system.

The steering, while accurate, could talk a little better so I know the amount of traction left up front. I was a little more careful than usual because it's not my car and I didn't want to be the only one in the ditch (despite the slick conditions, I saw no incidents) facing the wrong way. The heating and defrost system works great and the seats are plenty hot in step 1 of 5; don't care for the roller switches but that's a tiny nitpick.

I also found yesterday the speed limit info option in the sat nav....awesome! I've really come to appreciate the Entertainment system in general; it's really precise and clear even at complex junctions. "Prenez la prochaine sortie, et suivrez la route parellel. Puis, prenez la 2e sortie" (Take the next exit, and follow the parallel ramp, then take the 2nd exit). It's also displayed this way in the arrow guidance too. No getting lost with this one. Way better than the system in the Mondeo/Fusion. It also redirected me around congestion on the A2 yesterday.......the way it supposed to :)

So far, the only real failing of this car is the consumption. It's a combination of aggressive throttle calibration and the fact it's an SUV, but this is no green, efficient car. Even instant consumption readings rarely fall below 6 l/100km at subdued speeds. Realistically you will experience 7-8 l/100km in everyday driving. I've given up trying to do better. The power is great though (hit 190 Saturday in the dry), and the DCT transmission quick and smooth. One of the best-behaved transmissions.

----------------------So that's it for the "car" part. The rest of my day trip follows......

After the lovely Sunday afternoon, it began to snow again as the sun went down at 16:00 so I thought I'd better head home lest conditions worsen. As it got dark, I hit the snow squall right as I was back at the top beginning the descent. Sure enough, we all crawled down the steep snow-covered, winding descent, a 10% gradient for 4km with 25m visibility in the dark. I held in 3rd @ 50-60km/h most of the way, prudent use of brakes, and the Kuga/Escape held true. The xenon headlights and foglights provided good visibility, rain sensor in check, and headlamp washers cleared the accumulating snow. In critical situations, every switch and display provided the information I needed at a glance. Really good marks there; one of the longest 4km I've ever driven.

At the bottom things got real bad. Whiteout conditions, literally zero visibility through town. I feared hitting a lamppost or one of those pedestrian medians, as everything was under snow and the wind was whipping the snowflakes everywhere. Even at 30km/h I was nearly blind (the bloke behind just followed my rear foglights). Briefly thought about pulling over at the petrol station, but plowed on. As the road became an autoroute leaving town, things improved. The rest of the way home was better, slushy medians but no problems at 110-120 given visibility conditions.

So my Sunday trip to the mountains was more than I bargained for. But the Kuga/Escape passed the test, and given the fact I never had to swear at it, this crossover has its stuff figured out, well-engineered  :thumbup: :thumbup: to Ford Europe there.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:10:07 pm by mlin32 »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 04:36:53 pm »
^^^ Terrain Management would have helped address some of your concerns with the AWD...sadly Ford doesn't offer it in the Escape.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 05:04:24 pm »
^^^ Terrain Management would have helped address some of your concerns with the AWD...sadly Ford doesn't offer it in the Escape.
Honestly, I don't know if AWD is needed.....if it's not going to be there most all the time, why bother? Everyone else here gets around fine with front or rear-wheel drive. Everyone behaved, like I said, I saw no wrecks or people stuck. But AWD comes standard with the Titanium trim and bigger diesel. Maybe that's I never see another Kuga on the road in such a high spec. The others I see have the smaller diesel. Even Tiguans I see are seldom 4Motion.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:00:47 am by mlin32 »