Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:05:31 am »

The new Ford Fusion Hybrid's worst enemy might be its own conventionally-powered siblings.

Read More...

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:47:28 am »
Nice design.  Looks like the steering wheel is suffering from Acura syndrome.  Too many buttons.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »
Jonathan bang on man  :rofl:

the Fusion Hybrid will remain in the shadows.
Fusion Hybrid struggles to get up to speed
Fords struggle to achieve even the easier US EPA estimates
The combined 188 hp is routed through a CVT to the front wheels and provides modest acceleration
You will notice when the gas engine cuts in, with a slight grumble,
You might also notice a bit of a lurch as the gas engine sets its power to the wheels,
the engine’s power delivery and brakes are not as mild and seamless as the Camry Hybrid
the Camry looks handsome
The Fusion, though, I find to be one of the best designs
Is it good-looking enough to overcome sticky brakes and slightly gruff engine?
It will take some serious discounts to the Fusion Hybrid for Ford to match this well-priced Camry Hybrid sedan.
Toyota has spent generations  aligning themselves with hybrid technology, and they execute it to perfection, especially in the Camry Hybrid
The Fusion’s image as a sporty sedan might even work against the Hybrid model,
for my money, I’ll take the Camry.

What a failure this new hybrid from Ford. Look forward to your C-Max Hybrid review. Hope it's soon so buyers considering it can be fore warned.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:10:50 pm »
Failure?  Little harsh, no?  I'll reserve judgement 'til I can drive both of them (or Car & Driver does a side by side).  For the record, or off the record, and with a grain of salt...'cause pretty sure this isn't an unbiased opinion, but my Ford dealer (owner) went to the ride & drive where the sales staff goes to Wpg and they all drive the current crop of cars plus a few of the competition, and he said "Camry! What a POS!"  I said, "c'mon", he said no, easily at the bottom of his list.  Malibu, Hyundai, etc - didn't get into details, all WAY better than Camry. (really?  Find that hard to swallow even though I've never driven any of them - I said he could take me along next time, as a new salesman  ;D )

I thought other reviews were less harsh than what you're making this one out to be (haven't read it yet myself, other than your highlights, no time at the present), it's like quoting Party A when you're a Party B - pick only what you want to hear.   

Though I don't doubt the mileage claims (being overly optimistic)...I oughta know about that stuff.

Why wouldn't he call it a POS the camry would be this ford guys main competition? ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:05 pm »
Failure?  Little harsh, no?  I'll reserve judgement 'til I can drive both of them (or Car & Driver does a side by side).  For the record, or off the record, and with a grain of salt...'cause pretty sure this isn't an unbiased opinion, but my Ford dealer (owner) went to the ride & drive where the sales staff goes to Wpg and they all drive the current crop of cars plus a few of the competition, and he said "Camry! What a POS!"  I said, "c'mon", he said no, easily at the bottom of his list.  Malibu, Hyundai, etc - didn't get into details, all WAY better than Camry. (really?  Find that hard to swallow even though I've never driven any of them - I said he could take me along next time, as a new salesman  ;D )

I thought other reviews were less harsh than what you're making this one out to be (haven't read it yet myself, other than your highlights, no time at the present), it's like quoting Party A when you're a Party B - pick only what you want to hear.   

Though I don't doubt the mileage claims (being overly optimistic)...I oughta know about that stuff.

Why wouldn't he call it a POS the camry would be this ford guys main competition? ;)

Of course, there aren't many people that would place a Camry at the top of the heap in any kind of driving comparison. Maybe if it was a symposium on fuel economy, perceived reliability, and resale values. But driving? No.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:01:11 am »
One more contender of non Toyota league - from Accord Hybrid, through Altima Hybrid to Kia/Sonata hybrids - all mentioned in this line excluding Toyota's products are with mediocre fuel economy and questionable reliability and as a result resale value!

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:39 am »
Fuel efficiency is but one part of total cost of ownership for a new car.

If you are a point A to B no frills driver looking for a brand new car look no further than the 2013 Nissan Versa Sedan base model starting at $11,878.00.
5.2 hwy / 7.5 city L per 100kms
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:38 am »

Of course, there aren't many people that would place a Camry at the top of the heap in any kind of driving comparison. Maybe if it was a symposium on fuel economy, perceived reliability, and resale values. But driving? No.

Depends what you are comparing I guess. They do sell a lot of camry's. The fusion may drive better  from a performance perspective but that isn't everything. Every manufacturer makes good product these days. My point was that the ford guy is going to trash a competitors car in these ride and drive comparison because it's his job.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:51:45 am »
Hybrids are for the 5% huggers with more money than sense,in the main.

Get to the REAL MEAT.......review the Regular gas Fusions in all their great looks...............Jim Kenzie trashed it in the Star because of the centre stack not wowing him..............eccentric NOT... :think: :shuffle: ..Maybe Kenzie woz "cornered" by a Toyota enthusiast on DRIVING 2012.... :rofl:

..Now who is a Li-ON bastard eh   give me a nickel hydride for that one eh !!!!! ;D :P ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:53:32 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once