Author Topic: House lighting options  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
House lighting options
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:25:12 am »
Been thinking of changing some light bulbs in the house.  Looking for some feedback.

Table lamps / Enclosed Ceiling Lights

Currently using the CFL, the décor style, so I don't see the spiral.  These are fine, don't need them to dim, and produce sufficient light.

2 Bedrooms - with ceiling fan & 4 x 40w incandescent each.  The way it's wired now, there is on/off switch for fan.  on/off switch for light, with dimmer.  When I first bought this fixture (a few years ago), I bought dimmable CFL bulbs, and found the made a humming noise when dimmed.  Only does this with the CFL.  So I went back to incandescent.

Bathrooms - upstairs - above the vanity, 3 x 40w incandescent bulbs.  Had A-line CFLs before, but didn't like how they took 30-45 seconds to get to their full brightness.  Sometimes your in there for a short period, and it's not bright enough.

Dining room - Light fixture has 5 x 40w incandescent bulbs that aim down.  These are on a dimmer.  Same problem as bedroom, I use the CFL, and the dimmer makes a high pitch noise.

Living Room - 6 GU10 Halogens.  25w each.  Not on a dimmer.  Concerned with changing to LED, they maybe too bright.  I know there are several colors, guess I will have to try one.  Maybe the soft white will look ok.  These are only 150w total, the LEDs are 3 times the cost (range from $13 to $25 a piece).  Not sure if it's really worth it.  The LEDs are 4w each.  So going from 150W to 24W. At a cost of approx $120.  In the approx 3 years the fixtures have been up, I have replaced 4 out of 6.  Under $8 per bulb. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
House lighting options
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:32:14 pm »
LED for everything, it will cost you at first but the pay off is huge. IKEA has their own brand of LED bulbs, when I bought they were $5.99! I saw an ad yesterday where they were selling the 6.3W in 2 packs for $6.99...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: House lighting options
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »
LED for everything, it will cost you at first but the pay off is huge. IKEA has their own brand of LED bulbs, when I bought they were $5.99! I saw an ad yesterday where they were selling the 6.3W in 2 packs for $6.99...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The $5 off coupons are still valid in Ontario, you download them and print them yourself now.

Ikea LED bulbs also come in some useful small sizes for odd lighting fittings which is good.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
House lighting options
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:32:44 pm »
Yup.   Led but I don't like ikea bulbs they are too low wattage but they give you a yellower light.   Depends what you prefer.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:42:29 pm »
I think what you are using is fine, I wouldn't change a thing. Lighting quality as you perceive it is by far the most important thing, in my opinion. I know that isn't the "in thing" to say, but it is reality. And it seems you are happy with everywhere except the living room perhaps. I have tried all sorts of alternatives and usually find I'm disappointed by the heat omitted, lighting quality, color and/or intensity. Then I go out and repeat the spending cycle on the "next new (expensive) thing". Companies love this and marketing is geared to suit.

The following is an interesting article about heat and longevity which may apply to your decision making in a number of the locations you described.

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/led-luminaries/uncategorized/led-life-expectancy-2009-02/

With regard to cost and eventual payoff, has anyone ever kept a receipt for buying a light bulb and remembered where that receipt was when a long life bulb has blown way prematurely? In other words, I wonder what percentage of bulbs that blow out before the lifespan they have been advertised with ever get returned successfully for a refund! or do they just end up in a garbage pail.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:35 am »
I have the link for the $5 off.  The light that seems to be on the most is the dining room light with 5 bulbs.  I will replace them with LED. Philips seems to be ok with older (non LED) approved dimmers, so we will see how it goes. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:46:14 pm »
I have changed out the house and the cottage completely to LED's about 2 years ago. Have'nt changed a bulb since. Not sure if the electricity saving is really worth it but never changing a bulb again, especially in hard to reach locations, is certainly worth it.