Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport Package  (Read 16308 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport Package
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:29:04 am »

Subaru's CVT will change your attitude about the much-maligned transmission.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport Package
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:12 am »
Nice to see automotive writers dropping their war on the CVT.   I've enjoyed every CVT I've driven (4) but have to say it seems the more power you have, the better they work.

The Impreza would seem to have a very high noise level which is amazing and unacceptable to me at least.   Quiet is luxury and undue noise is a real killer for any lengthy drive.  Has anyone else driven one of these?  How bad is it really?

Cheers,
John M.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:58:45 am »
I wonder what percentage of the car buying public use android phones? Seems like a lot of potential buyers to blow off. ???

I wonder how many people actually try and pair their phone as part of the test drive. It seems like maybe it should be part of the process these days.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:00:19 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport Package
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:13:36 am »
I wonder what percentage of the car buying public use android phones? Seems like a lot of potential buyers to blow off. ???

I would think that Subaru drivers would be more likely to have android devices, so this seems really stupid on their part.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:34 am »
I would think that Subaru drivers would be more likely to have android devices, so this seems really stupid on their part.

How do you figure?

Would much rather have this instead of a Crosstek.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:51:21 am »
In low light the Xenon HID headlights and fog lights give great visibility and make sure nobody misses you rolling towards them out of the mist.

Is this correct? According to the Subie site you need to step up to the Limited to get HIDs.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:00:11 am »
In low light the Xenon HID headlights and fog lights give great visibility and make sure nobody misses you rolling towards them out of the mist.

Is this correct? According to the Subie site you need to step up to the Limited to get HIDs.

Woops! I misread the spec sheet provided to me, HIDs are not in this model, they're in the Limited as you say. I'll update the article now. Good catch!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:52 am »
Where the Subaru Impreza fails is on price for an entry level vehicle. This particular unit approaches 28K !!!. We looked at the Impreza when car shopping last year but the Mazda 3 was just the right vehicle at the right price for mom. Subaru needs to get more aggressive on price if they want to compete with the other Japanese manufactures.

Like the new oil filter on top :
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:12:48 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:05:49 am »
BTW, good article. I've always liked the Impreza and would put it on my shopping list if buying a new car.

Noticed Subie has "Other Fees" when doing a build and price but doesn't explain what those fees are, or I just can't find them. Anybody know?

Other Fees $332.45

The monthly finance estimate includes freight, pre-delivery inspection, taxes, and other fees and levies. Dealer administration and documentation fees are also included where applicable. Please contact your Subaru dealer for full details. Cash down payments are due upon vehicle delivery. All applicable taxes are calculated on the total vehicle amount prior to deduction of the down payment. Amounts shown do not include license fees, registration fees, insurance and certain other fees (for example, any additional products or services that may be made available to you through your selected Subaru dealership). Estimates are based upon a representative transaction and actual dealer price and monthly payments may vary. Dealer may sell for less. A Subaru dealer is free to set its own selling price. Contact your dealer for current details, including details of any special programs.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 09:16:39 am »
It's "we wanted to charge you more, but don't want to raise the MSRP" fees.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 09:28:09 am »
It's "we wanted to charge you more, but don't want to raise the MSRP" fees.

:rofl2:  Ain't that the truth.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:29:40 am »
Where the Subaru Impreza fails is on price for an entry level vehicle. This particular unit approaches 28K !!!. We looked at the Impreza when car shopping last year but the Mazda 3 was just the right vehicle at the right price for mom. Subaru needs to get more aggressive on price if they want to compete with the other Japanese manufactures.

A Mazda 3 GT isn't cheap either, and lacks AWD. I think the pricing of the Impreza is fine, especially based on how many I see around here.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
i skimmed the article, didn't see what's actually in sports package.

doesn't look like much though, seeing that flat seat.  how can they call something "sports package" without including sports seats.  (more robust bolsters, cooler shape or something) 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 10:05:07 am »
BTW, good article. I've always liked the Impreza and would put it on my shopping list if buying a new car.

Noticed Subie has "Other Fees" when doing a build and price but doesn't explain what those fees are, or I just can't find them. Anybody know?

Other Fees $332.45

The monthly finance estimate includes freight, pre-delivery inspection, taxes, and other fees and levies. Dealer administration and documentation fees are also included where applicable. Please contact your Subaru dealer for full details. Cash down payments are due upon vehicle delivery. All applicable taxes are calculated on the total vehicle amount prior to deduction of the down payment. Amounts shown do not include license fees, registration fees, insurance and certain other fees (for example, any additional products or services that may be made available to you through your selected Subaru dealership). Estimates are based upon a representative transaction and actual dealer price and monthly payments may vary. Dealer may sell for less. A Subaru dealer is free to set its own selling price. Contact your dealer for current details, including details of any special programs.

I was also surprise to see this "other fees" posted right on Subaru Canada's website, however it appears that it will differ from dealer to dealer.  I just got a quote from Budd's in Oakville for an Outback and their "other fee" is $199.

Offline Sammy70

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:05 am »

Like the new oil filter on top :

Subaru is one of the bigger offenders in terms of the price disparity of their cars between Canada and the US. Last time I checked, it was several thousands of dollars on average, which is a lot! I can (grudgingly) accept to pay several thousands more for a $50k+ car compared to the US, but it's much harder to accept when the price of the car is $25k.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:43:36 am »
i skimmed the article, didn't see what's actually in sports package.

doesn't look like much though, seeing that flat seat.  how can they call something "sports package" without including sports seats.  (more robust bolsters, cooler shape or something)

Same way some manufacturers put on a $100 stripe kit and call it a "sport package"  ;D

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:41 am »

Woops! I misread the spec sheet provided to me, HIDs are not in this model, they're in the Limited as you say. I'll update the article now. Good catch!

So if you didn't  drive a car equipped with xenon lights how do you actually know that........

"In low light the Xenon HID headlights and fog lights give great visibility and make sure nobody misses you rolling towards them out of the mist."

;D :stick:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 10:47:07 am »
Pretty much everything in the review applies to the XV as well, apart from the noise, apparently the XV gets a more liberal application of sound deadening.

Pairing my Galaxy S3 to my car only took a few seconds, and I didn't have to refer to the manual to do it. I streamed my Grooveshark playlists over BT for our trip to North Dakota and back, and it worked flawlessly. Making and receiving calls over BT also works fine. It doesn't recognize the phone using the USB, so it just treats it as a flash drive. Not optimal, but I can live with it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 10:59:54 am »
  "Sport" should have 2.5L with 6 spd manual, better hop to it Subaru before I purchase my new car in the next year!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:03:05 am »

So if you didn't  drive a car equipped with xenon lights how do you actually know that........

"In low light the Xenon HID headlights and fog lights give great visibility and make sure nobody misses you rolling towards them out of the mist."

;D :stick:

:surrend: :run: