Author Topic: New Tires (18 inch) for the Focus Is AS3 the clear choice?  (Read 4507 times)

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
New Tires (18 inch) for the Focus Is AS3 the clear choice?
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:00:12 pm »
The factory summer only Pilot Sports are already down to 4/32 after 30,000 KM (and I had winters on this year..yikes)They did grip really well but I wouldn't let them anywhere near cold temperatures and burning through tires at that rate on a 160 hp Focus is just silly.

I've decided to switch to All Seasons to use from April till November going forward. I have X Ice for the winter but fell All Seasons are better for the other months so I don't have to put the winters on in October to avoid any issues and all season will likely last longer.

i would like to preserve much of the handling I get from the 18 inch tires and the suspension on the Titanium Handling Pack.

I read nothing but rave reviews about the Pilot As3. They are a little pricey at over 1100 taxes in but is there anything that's either clearly better or close to the same buy meaningfully less expensive?

I had good experience with the Continental DWS but it was a bit on the softer side. the new DWS 06 came out in may but there isn't much evidence how it might compare to the As3 and I don't even see it available in many places yet

I think i know the answer but maybe someone has something to say that will change my mind?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: New Tires (18 inch) for the Focus Is AS3 the clear choice?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:32 pm »
TireRack has tested the DWS06 already and it is apparently better than the DWS in regard to sidewall stiffness. But you probably can't go wrong with A/S3 if you really want an all season.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92840
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:42:53 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:54 pm »
TireRack has tested the DWS06 already and it is apparently better than the DWS in regard to sidewall stiffness. But you probably can't go wrong with A/S3 if you really want an all season.

Just to be clear I don't really want an All Season. i have every intention of using the XICE for the "winter months" but summer only tires are just that and "summer" in Nova Scotia lasts about 3 months ;-) I hated having the drive the Xice into May and hated feeling "fear" in October that the temperature would drop ,turn the Pilot Sports to rocks and send my wife and kids into the ditch. The DWS is often praised for its snow traction but that's really not a big selling point for me.The 18s would only see snow in a freak occurrence where it was nice when i left home but a freak snow happened.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:05:30 pm »
Oh, I hear you, I've had the same debate with myself. I usually have the winters on from Nov. 1 to May 1. With all seasons, maybe I could get away with winters from Dec. 1 to Apr. 1.

Still haven't convinced myself that the trade off would be worth it, though. I've never had an issue with summer tires on bare pavement in cold temperatures, just if it's icy/snowy.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:14:37 am »
I bought the all season pilot sport a few months back for my zoom zoom and they are awesome in every aspect.
I had kaltire match Costco and my final bill was 700 and got 70 back from Michelin. My tires are 16 inch.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:25:44 am by ssarachie »

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:35:38 am »
I bought the all season pilot sport a few months back for my zoom zoom and they are awesome in every aspect.
I had kaltire match Costco and my final bill was 700 and got 70 back from Michelin. My tires are 16 inch.

Thanks for this.
Is there a reason you bought from Kaltire with them matching the Costco price?
IS the Costco price the best out there?
I did have my Ford Dealer match Costco before since the car was already in for service it was just more convenient.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:48:56 am »
Paging Quad.  Paging Quad.

He recently went through this and settled on the A/S 3's.

I haven't driven on them but I have to think if you are OK with the cost then it's probably a no-brainer. 

Those new Conti's look really good but I have twice bought the latest models and been a little underwhelmed.  Tire reviews for the first 10k are meaningless since they are almost universally positive.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:53:03 am »

Thanks for this.
Is there a reason you bought from Kaltire with them matching the Costco price?
IS the Costco price the best out there?
I did have my Ford Dealer match Costco before since the car was already in for service it was just more convenient.
I live in the city where kaltire is from and I like to support local businesses and also I think kaltire offers some % off from the competition price but not really sure about it
I think you'll really like the tires and they have good warranty. Mine are made in USA so that's kinda local too

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:03 pm »
235 40 18 Y AS3 ordered from my local ford Dealer. They matched as close as they could to costco but at $1080 installed its about $30 more. I am OK since I can have it done with my regular service so the $30 is worth the convenience to me.
Plan to have an Alignment done at the same time. i always find that its worth the investment to get the most life out of new tires especially with th potholes we had after this brutal winter.

Not scheduled to the 15th but I'll be sure to post some impressions once they are on.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 08:58:27 pm »
235 40 18 Y AS3 ordered from my local ford Dealer. They matched as close as they could to costco but at $1080 installed its about $30 more. I am OK since I can have it done with my regular service so the $30 is worth the convenience to me.
Plan to have an Alignment done at the same time. i always find that its worth the investment to get the most life out of new tires especially with th potholes we had after this brutal winter.

Not scheduled to the 15th but I'll be sure to post some impressions once they are on.

Awesome. You made the right choice and I hear you with the convenience. I wish my Mazda dealer could match Costco or kaltire or at least come close but they didn't. They did match when I bought my XiCe.
Let me know how you find them after you test them.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »

Awesome. You made the right choice and I hear you with the convenience. I wish my Mazda dealer could match Costco or kaltire or at least come close but they didn't. They did match when I bought my XiCe.

I noticed that too.  Depends on the tire.  I bought my Michelin Pilot AS3 at Costco...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 12:51:30 am »
235 40 18 Y AS3 ordered from my local ford Dealer.

Will be interested in your thoughts. I'm still liking mine. Once they overcome the nose heavy weight of the car the grip is great.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 07:28:04 am »

I noticed that too.  Depends on the tire.  I bought my Michelin Pilot AS3 at Costco...

I bought my Xice from my dealer. They couldn't quite match Costco but IIRC you couldn't get the 70 mail in rebate from Costco so after the rebate the dealer was slightly cheaper.

This is what the dealer told me (and this is after the salesperson got the parts manager to come out)
"costco is the hardest to match. They do not have a tire warranty from the manufacturer. They don't pay for that they warranty the tires themselves through costco. That is where the extra XX$ a tire we are charging comes from. " I find this believable.  I did try to get them to close the gap slightly more because their install price is $20 bucks more than Costco  but they politely declined.

As I said the convenience of only being without the car for one day while its serviced and tires installed plus getting shuttle to my house (which is closer than the Costco) has to be worth something. When I got my winters I didn't have my rims with me. They actually drove to the house picked up the rims and took them back to install. Oh and paying with my points Visa vs having to pay cash at Costco is always a help.

If its a local business (even a dealer) I can stomach paying 3% more if there are service benefits.

BTW: The car now has 31,000 km. I drove on the snows from November until May so I'm guessing I put between 5-7 KM on the snows. The OEM Pilot sport 3s I had rotted when I installed them in ,ay. The back 2 are now down to the wear bars( I could hear it on the weekend) and the fronts are between 3-4 32nds. Given that its a 2.0l focus with the heavier 18 inch tires its not like I was doing burnouts. That means that even if I drove them right down to the war bars I'd probably be lucky to get 30KM out of them. Replacing your tires at 1000 + every year and a half on an economy car doesn't sound very appealing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:35:22 am by toolatecrew »

Offline roseann908z

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: na
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:49 am »