Author Topic: Road Trip: 2015 Subaru Impreza 5-door  (Read 11148 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Road Trip: 2015 Subaru Impreza 5-door
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 12:34:38 pm »
Fuel economy averaged ~7L/100kms, which isn't bad considering hills and load.
I'd say that's pretty damn good fuel economy given the load and the 'towering mountains...' and the gravel road.

Shame about the poutine.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 12:47:46 am »
Fuel economy averaged ~7L/100kms, which isn't bad considering hills and load.
I'd say that's pretty damn good fuel economy given the load and the 'towering mountains...' and the gravel road.
AND it's AWD...that is impressive.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:14 am »
According to listed specs the 2015 2.0L Impreza gets 2.5L better per 100Km vs the 2016 2.5L Legacy (both auto CVT) but consider that the Legacy is 253Kg (557.77lbs) heavier than the Impreza.
:think:

Model:                              City/Highway in L/100km
2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i:   9.0 / 6.5
2015 Subaru Impreza 2.0i:  8.5 / 6.4

Not sure where you get 2.5L/100km better...
Used US 2016 Legacy vs 2015 Impreza  converted specs which are more accurate than our current FE listed specs
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Mongo McMongo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 11:10:42 pm »
There is just one thing missing: more power for those who want it. The Impreza hatch is enough in almost all its aspects, but for this family, a little extra punch would go a long way. It doesn’t need to go to plaid – it just needs to get past the slowpokes.

Totally agree. When approaching an on-ramp to the highway I put the CVT into manual mode and keep it in 3rd gear until the engine winds up to 4000 rpm, I find that's the quickest way to get up to merging speed or 100 km/h. In fact, the CVT is surprisingly responsive in manual mode and you can quickly change gears with the paddle shifters. The weird thing about the CVT in auto-mode is the tachometer needle won't move much while you're accelerating, sometimes it might even drop if you're not pressing down hard enough on the accelerator, so to pass someone on the highway it's better to pop it into manual mode and downshift to 4th to get the engine into it's peak torque range around 4000 rpm, and then after you pass that 911 GT3 RS with the SharkWerks exhaust, you can put it back into auto mode and let it upshift all by itself, no problem.

On my last road trip I was getting 5.4L/100km through rural roads with little traffic. So far I've been averaging 6.4L/100km with mostly city driving. I can't remember the last time I got more than 7.0L/100km with over 20,000 kms on the odometer. Of course I don't really know if these numbers are real since there's no way to verify if the car's computer is accurate when calculating the fuel economy, for all I know I could be averaging 12.8L/100km.

One thing that may be a real problem is I find the windshield washer pressure is too low when driving on the highway. At a stop light the washer sprays fluid all over the windshield, but on the highway it barely reaches the bottom third of the windshield on the driver's side. After talking to two Subaru dealers about it I've come to the conclusion that Subaru's service is terrible, in fact, I've had my vehicle serviced twice by a Subaru dealer for scheduled maintenance and they've gotten the tire pressure wrong both times on the "Multi-Point Inspection Report", which means I dropped my vehicle off with the correct tire pressure and they deflated the front tire by 3 psi and the rear tire by 1 psi… it's like I'm paying for the exact opposite of service, it's like anti-service! When I told the service advisor over the phone that they got the tire pressure wrong he didn't believe me, so I told him to read the placard, so he put me on hold while he checked one of the vehicles on the lot. Of course I was right and they apologized for the mistake, but this wasn't a mistake, this is systematic incompetence where a Subaru technician and the service advisor doesn't know the correct tire pressure for a 2012–2015 Impreza, who knows if they used the correct type of oil? Needless to say that they gave me some bull*** reason why the windshield washer pressure drops on the highway… sigh.

Anyway, still like the car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 01:06:02 am »
Needless to say that they gave me some bull*** reason why the windshield washer pressure drops on the highway… sigh.
i highly doubt your washer pressure drops while driving on the highway...what is most likely happening is there is substantially more wind (air pressure) pressing against that plane of the vehicle...so instead of the washer fluid spraying out across the windshield at low speeds, it gets blown onto the windshield shortly after coming out the nozzle, so it isn't able to reach the entire surface as easily...this is common with pretty much any car...less so if the fluid comes out in a stream rather than a spray...but sprays cover the windshield better (at lower speeds).

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Road Trip: 2015 Subaru Impreza 5-door
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 06:22:42 am »
Why not just adjust the aim of the nozzles for the best compromise, like everyone else in the world does?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:20 am »
Why not just adjust the aim of the nozzles for the best compromise, like everyone else in the world does?
because then in the city, the spray is likely too high (top of windshield).

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 10:52:31 am »
there's no way to verify if the car's computer is accurate when calculating the fuel economy,

I've been calculating fuel economy with high accuracy on my cars and motorcycles for 38 years and almost none of them had/have a fuel economy gauge/computer.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 12:57:32 pm »
there's no way to verify if the car's computer is accurate when calculating the fuel economy,

I've been calculating fuel economy with high accuracy on my cars and motorcycles for 38 years and almost none of them had/have a fuel economy gauge/computer.

Ditto.

I remember keeping log books for my cars until I got a sense of what to expect for each vehicle.  Simple and useful.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"