Author Topic: Chevrolet BOLT  (Read 132885 times)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet BOLT
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
Reliability is not the issue at all!.

I think it is.  My Lexus will make it to 500K easily with just usual maintenance.

I'm not convinced an EV would do the same...

At least, most comes with a 8 years / 160,000 km warranty on battery, electric motor & powertrain, etc

Many people keep their cars well in excess of that now.  And these days, it's very rare for an ICE to give up the ghost within 250,000kms.  I'm not so sure about an EV.  Maybe it's too early to tell..need more data.

I agree, need more data to graph a trend.

Btw, Sparkie with his 2012 Volt @ 500,712 km if 35% were electric, it means 65% were in range extender mode (ICE), 65% x 500,000 = 325,000 km
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2016, 07:40:19 am »
   If these are for local use mainly; then 500,000 km is an enormous distance that will take a half lifetime to accomplish for the vast majority of people. Certainly for me and most seniors. Heck 50,000 km is more than enough. Electric motors are much simpler than ICEs, so that reliability surely can not be an issue. The batteries however are a different matter. If like my battery appliance's that start to dwindle in power before discharged...well, we need more experience as stated here. What is an 80% charge?  Is that 80% of mileage capability?

For major usage a role has to be developed and laying rubber should not be a priority feature IMO.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:20 pm »
Reliability is not the issue at all!.

I think it is.  My Lexus will make it to 500K easily with just usual maintenance.

I'm not convinced an EV would do the same...

Neither a Fiat 500...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2016, 12:21:58 am »
If like my battery appliance's that start to dwindle in power before discharged...well, we need more experience as stated here. What is an 80% charge?  Is that 80% of mileage capability?

I just updated my blog post on the quality and longevity of my Smart Electric Drive's battery pack:
http://mysmartelectricdrive.blogspot.ca/2014/06/fortunately-world-class-engineers-are.html

Briefly, I own two EV's total distance travelled >90000 km, and they both charge up to 96% or more of original capacity.  That is >400 km of range in the Tesla, and >100 km of range in my Smart ED.

Read my blog post for details on the technologies implemented in the battery packs to manage the individual cells so they last.

The Tesla has an 8 year unlimited distance warranty on the drivetrain and battery.  That takes our EV well into 2021 and likely more than 260,000 km driven based on our current yearly travel.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2016, 07:45:35 am »
you seem to have adapted your daily life to that of the cars.................i prefer the opposite.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2016, 08:00:21 am »
you seem to have adapted your daily life to that of the cars.................i prefer the opposite.

Finally... i can understand one of SAF's posts. Congratulations to me..  ;D ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2016, 10:33:08 am »

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2016, 06:53:18 pm »

Well, having two electric cars is a choice for sure.   It's easy to justify when you are out in the road in either of the cars, my Smart ED is $0 to operate and like running on $0.20 gas, and my wife's car is pretty easy to live with day to day, cheap as the Smart ED to run, lots of room and practicality, and as much fun to thrash around on the road as any muscle car I've every owned.

It won't be long before EV's will be common.   While that may not suit you, and that's ok, it will put lots of smiles on those owners faces.

Just talked to a friend today about the Audi A3 etron sportback in their driveway, she commented on how quiet that car is ... these plug in hybrids are just the stepping stone for some to move to EV , they just don't realize it till they drive on electric only for a while.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2016, 08:55:32 am »
   If all cars were electric, then there would have to be six times the number of charging stations as there were gas pumps. This would be to have the same kind of immediate access to one as to a gas pump now. So a station that now has say 12 pumps would need 72 charging stations. This is only to have the same 'ready' access...the 30 minutes charging time to have 80% of charge (whatever that means) is on top of this.

I remember when we were driving in BC that we always kept our gas tank at least half full for fear of being stranded. They have strange 'pay before pumping' there which caused a horrendous jam at a station that did not have pay pumps and to top it off one person filled a VW van with diesel by mistake and was afraid to start it up and move out of the way effectively taking two pumps out of service till it was pushed out of the way. Anyway, this would mean more stops for an EV there for security of supply.

Hmm...you would also need more stations depending on range deficit to offer the same security of operation as now with gasoline powered vehicles.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:20:38 am by Rupert »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2016, 09:41:42 am »
   If all cars were electric, then there would have to be six times the number of charging stations as there were gas pumps. This would be to have the same kind of immediate access to one as to a gas pump now. So a station that now has say 12 pumps would need 72 charging stations. This is only to have the same 'ready' access...the 30 minutes charging time to have 80% of charge (whatever that means) is on top of this.

I remember when we were driving in BC that we always kept our gas tank at least half full for fear of being stranded. They have strange 'pay before pumping' there which caused a horrendous jam at a station that did not have pay pumps and to top it off one person filled a VW van with diesel by mistake and was afraid to start it up and move out of the way effectively taking two pumps out of service till it was pushed out of the way. Anyway, this would mean more stops for an EV there for security of supply.

Hmm...you would also need more stations depending on range deficit to offer the same security of operation as now with gasoline powered vehicles.

Sure, the more DCFC pints the better. But do you know why they are constant line-ups at gas stations? It's because no one fuels at home  ;)
I wouldn't take a mainstream 100 mile EV for a road trip either...
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2016, 11:33:07 am »
Sure, there are other aspects to this and yes in city and suburbs fueling at home is one of them. Still, travel would take planning and nuisance would be a big negative; once away from home.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:38:03 am by Rupert »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2016, 05:33:13 pm »

The Tesla has an 8 year unlimited distance warranty on the drivetrain and battery.  That takes our EV well into 2021 and likely more than 260,000 km driven based on our current yearly travel.

Good thing!  Because there were plenty of powertrain failures even before 4 years...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2016, 11:31:10 pm »
Good thing!  Because there were plenty of powertrain failures even before 4 years...

The vast majority of power train issues that Tesla fixes are nuisance, noise issues, not failures.  You know that right?   ;)

With 80000 km on our car, I'll keep you posted on any problems, none so far tho.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45:31 pm »

The vast majority of power train issues that Tesla fixes are nuisance, noise issues, not failures.  You know that right?   ;)

With 80000 km on our car, I'll keep you posted on any problems, none so far tho.

Flat out failures.  Not noises.

Also, I read the blogs.  There are many owner failures...though I have no idea what the exact number is.  I'm guessing Tesla wouldn't divulge anyways.  Then there's the battery "bricking" problem too..

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101153_two-thirds-of-earliest-tesla-drive-trains-to-fail-in-60000-miles-owner-data-suggests
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:51:11 pm by rrocket »

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2016, 06:51:27 am »
If you build a car so powerful you can expect some folk to use the power and roughly. For acceleration purposes only. Most wear here. Steady high speed is ok but forbidden. The driveline is simple mechanics.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:34 am »
battery "bricking" problem

You mean the small number of 2008 Tesla Roadster owners whose battery packs refused to accept charge when they were run down to zero?   Tesla solved that in 2009.   It's 2016...  7 years and a lot of engineering later, no bricked Model S battery packs that I've heard of.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet BOLT - a fully autonomous "taxi"
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2016, 07:38:12 pm »
Chevy Bolt Will Be Used As An Autonomous Taxi In Selected Cities
May 8th, 2016 by Steve Hanley

When Chevrolet invested half a billion dollars in Lyft earlier this year, people wondered how it would use the ride sharing app in its business. This week, the company gave us the answer. It says it will introduce a taxi service using autonomous driving Chevy Bolt electric cars in an undisclosed US cities in 2017. The Chevy Bolt is expected to go into production before the end of this year. Lyft users will be able to opt out of the autonomous trial if they wish. Sitting in the back seat while the car drives itself may be a little too close to science fiction for some.

Chevrolet has always said that the Bolt, which has more interior space than its small size suggests, will be ideal for taxi service. Its investment in Lyft signifies its willingness to be an active participant in the ride sharing market. The Chevy Bolt is expected to appeal to people looking to earn a living driving for Lyft. It remains to be seen, however, whether people will embrace self-driving cars that have no human operator behind the wheel.

General Motors is also in the process of acquiring Cruise, a San Francisco based tech start-up that designs and builds autonomous driving systems. The General is betting there is money to be made from the synergy between its manufacturing skill, Lyft’s car sharing app, and Cruise’s technological skill.

Tesla Motors is known to be very interested in that market, as is Google. It is possible that Apple also has its eye on producing driverless cars that will be shared rather than owned outright. Car sharing is seen as a potentially lucrative business. Typically, a private passenger car is only used 5% of the time. The rest of the time it sits parked somewhere. Car sharing will keep a car busy far more frequently, generating income for someone all the while. At least, that’s the theory.

http://gas2.org/2016/05/08/chevy-bolt-will-used-autonomous-taxi-selected-cities/

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »
For ppl not willing to wait for Model 3: It looks like Bolt production will begin in October. Of this year.

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-enter-production-october-2016/

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2016, 07:53:35 am »
The Bolt with almost 3x battery capacity of the Spark EV should be a real good EV starter  8)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:55:13 am by me_2 »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2016, 07:58:39 am »
.You sayin' BOLT......electrifying.............