Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2012 Toyota Prius C  (Read 7096 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update 2: 2012 Toyota Prius C
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:04 am »

Paul Williams finds our long-term Toyota Prius C fills the role of urban runabout with unexpected sophistication.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2012 Toyota Prius C
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:26 am »
The C is a great package.  Anyone looking for this kind of car will be delighted. 

Complaints from some auto journalists that it doesn't cut their mustard are becoming fewer as they realize people who buy one are using the brain in their skull, not the other one.

I didn't find the C fabulous in all areas but it certainly is slick and dead on target for its intended purpose.   What a lineup Toyota has with the Prius (Pre-i??).

A plug in version of the C would be the ideal for many people but battery costs don't really seem to be falling enough to keep the car truly affordable.

Cheers,
John M.

Nukester

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:12:09 am »
I drove the C when it first came out and then was surprised at all the negative press that appeared. A nice little package and great fuel economy. I am wondering if people actually drove the car at all. I felt the car handled well and had adeqate power for its size. My issue was never power but price point. The same sized Toyota Yaris LE with Convenience package is $15,990 and gets great fuel economy. The price difference would probably never pay the fuel economy gain. Of course cool and new tech has its price. The orange colour is hideous IMHO.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »
The Prius C does certainly have a lot of appeal as a solid runabout with excellent fuel economy. I think Toyota is trying to market the car to first time (and younger) Hybrid buyers. The exterior styling is certainly refreshing and attractive. The interior needs a rework I think. I don't find the layout all that appealing. The price point will likely push away potential buyers. You can get a good compact car with very good fuel efficiency for several thousand less or the much larger and powerful, though still very efficient Camry Hybrid for a few thousand more.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:01:10 am »
It's been 20 years in the making.  1995 Toyota first presented their Hybrid concept at the Toyko Auto Show.  10s of Billions upon Billions $$$$ in R&D, patents, various production stages and FINALLY in 2012 a solid fleet of vehicles unmatched by any competitor.  Success is rarely overnight, even thou it may appear so.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54:30 am »
 I'm wondering if this is a Yaris in Prius' clothing.  If so, it's a very poorly rated car....And who thinks this is good looking....Yuckypoozies..
               Thanks   Jack

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »
It is a Yaris platform.  I don't see the "very poorly rated" reviews.  It is a little beater .... that keeps on beating forever.  When gas in the States reaches $5.00, and after Americans finish blaming their President for it and come to terms with reality, the Prius C along with all the other Toyota Hybrids will be common place.

I suggest you seek counselling asap.  :)

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:12:55 pm »

I love the predictable dismissal of vehicles that have fuel economy as their key performance metric. Of course, this is always followed by the inevitable price differential "payback" argument that usually incorporates some sort of comparison of apples to crab apples. The Prius c base model is priced at $20,950. The Yaris LE A/T with convenience package is $16,990, therefore the price premium is $4k, and the Yaris still doesn't match the c for features. I commute 30-35k per year, so payback for me would be guaranteed. Let's put that argument aside for a moment, and just say I want to own it because I think that the technology is cool, just like some of you think that your 6000 lb. pick-up, or your 400 HP sports sedan is cool, and can write pages and pages of posts that rationalize and praise them. Let's face reality. This car is a home run for Toyota. It sets a new low for hybrid price point, and it's probably going to have the same benchmark reliability as a regular Prius.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »
 :fiver:

The other thing that the critics  aren't computing is the pleasure of driving around in electric only mode for short distances.  Volt owners obviously love their Volts for this.  You might as well have something to amuse yourself when stuck in the stop and creep along stuff like found on most downtown streets.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »

I love the predictable dismissal of vehicles that have fuel economy as their key performance metric. Of course, this is always followed by the inevitable price differential "payback" argument that usually incorporates some sort of comparison of apples to crab apples. The Prius c base model is priced at $20,950. The Yaris LE A/T with convenience package is $16,990, therefore the price premium is $4k, and the Yaris still doesn't match the c for features. I commute 30-35k per year, so payback for me would be guaranteed. Let's put that argument aside for a moment, and just say I want to own it because I think that the technology is cool, just like some of you think that your 6000 lb. pick-up, or your 400 HP sports sedan is cool, and can write pages and pages of posts that rationalize and praise them. Let's face reality. This car is a home run for Toyota. It sets a new low for hybrid price point, and it's probably going to have the same benchmark reliability as a regular Prius.

Well  put.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »
:fiver:

The other thing that the critics  aren't computing is the pleasure of driving around in electric only mode for short distances.  Volt owners obviously love their Volts for this.  You might as well have something to amuse yourself when stuck in the stop and creep along stuff like found on most downtown streets.

I love being able to go electric in parking lots. Just makes sense, to me, to be able to do that.
I used to work here.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 11:36:52 pm »

Well  put.

Most def.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 12:48:36 am »
I've always admired the Prius, but I felt the value (for our family) was marginal.  We usually try to keep two vehicles in our stable, an economy car and some sort of wagon thing.  The Prius is too expensive to fit the "economy car" for us.  But, the C changes the equation.  I think it's excellent value, and today, we'd buy it ahead of the Corolla despite the price differential.  The premium is small enough that we'd be ahead.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:02:36 am »

I get your point, however, why hasn't hybrid technology taken off in wagons, minivans, crossovers and SUVs (the last two are obviously oxymorons of a sorts)? I know Toyota has the Highlander, but nothing for the Sienna and I've heard GM is getting out of hybrids for SUVs. It almost seems that the majority of the focus of hybrid technology excludes larger families who would most benefit from this - heck even sports cars are getting into the hybrid act.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 08:57:40 pm »

I get your point, however, why hasn't hybrid technology taken off in wagons, minivans, crossovers and SUVs (the last two are obviously oxymorons of a sorts)? I know Toyota has the Highlander, but nothing for the Sienna and I've heard GM is getting out of hybrids for SUVs. It almost seems that the majority of the focus of hybrid technology excludes larger families who would most benefit from this - heck even sports cars are getting into the hybrid act.

Your observation is quite accurate and I don't know why we don't have hybrid technology in those types of vehicles. If anything, we've lost a couple (Ford Escape & Saturn Vue hybrids). The GM mild hybrid technology was underwhelming at best, but the Ford hybrids are excellent. My SIL has an Escape hybrid and it's been a good vehicle. It would appear that Ford is putting all their eggs in the eco-boost basket, with the exceptions of the Fusion hybrid and the soon to arrive C-MAX. Hyundai and Kia appear to each offer a hybrid just to be in the game, and then we have the various luxury hybrids which are too expensive for the average family.

For family hauler type vehicles, there's really only 2 choices; the Prius V and the unknown C-MAX. The V is underpowered, and neither one of them is likely to draw people away from a mini-van or SUV / CUV. You mentioned the Highlander hybrid, but that puts you in the $45k- $55k range.

With the performance and positive reviews that Toyota is getting from it's latest Camry hybrid, one would think that its powertrain would be a prime candidate to drop into a Sienna, RAV4, Venza, or even the Prius V, and especially the Lexus CT200h.

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2012-toyota-camry-hybrid-xle/

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 09:59:05 pm »
The Venza is next.  I'll be in the Georgetown, Kentucky plant during the first week of October for a Toyota lovefest.  ;D

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 10:10:57 pm »
The Venza is next.  I'll be in the Georgetown, Kentucky plant during the first week of October for a Toyota lovefest.  ;D

Wow, that was quick response from the Toyota customer service dept. Now, see if you can do something about a couple of those other models while you're there.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »
 :)    The Georgetown plant assembles the Camry, Venza and Avalon.  All three are built of the same platform.  The Hybrid parts are shipped in from Japan.  I think supply is going to be the deciding factor on when the Venza will receive the Hybrid guts.  Currently, the V6 is pretty hard on gas, but the vehicle has a future.  Very well received.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:03 pm »
i wonder what production will be shifted to Mississippi...their new plant also makes Camrys, does it not??...i know the Subaru facility in Indiana was even making some Camrys because Toyota couldn't keep up with demand.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 11:43:29 pm »
As far as I know all Camry, Venza and Avalon are made exclusively in KY.  The Mississippi plant makes the Corolla.  Hopefully they won't shift product from Canada.  If anything other moves to Mississippi it will be something out of the Prius line.  Indianna assembles the Sienna/Highlander.  Texas, the Tundra and Tacoma.