Author Topic: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars  (Read 28582 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:30:24 am »

Honda Civic Ci vs Mazda MX-5 vs Mini Cooper S vs Nissan Juke NISMO RS vs Scion FR-S vs Subaru WRX vs Volkswagen GTI.

Read More...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:42:24 am by JacobBlack »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:15:39 am »
Surprised I am the first to comment.  Sad to see the MX-5 in 6th place, but it is pricey, the least practical, and long in the tooth.  The Focus would have finished close the Civic I suspect.  Next year the 4 cylinder Mustang will be available for the test,  :rofl2:.
Have not been in the new WRX yet, nor the GTI.  To save money, I wonder if getting a 2 year old model, with low mileage, in either vehicle is good enough.  How much is one missing, if they settle for the previous gen.  Little bit of hp? little bit of fuel economy? Nannies that many of us don't care about?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:31:50 am »
Obligatory GTI-Fanboy-Editor-in-Cheif-comment   :rofl2:

And of course the MINI came second, it's wearing the special edition 199/55 tires  ;D

Alright, I'm done being an ass...

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:41:58 am »
Surprised I am the first to comment.  Sad to see the MX-5 in 6th place, but it is pricey, the least practical, and long in the tooth.  The Focus would have finished close the Civic I suspect.  Next year the 4 cylinder Mustang will be available for the test,  :rofl2:.
Have not been in the new WRX yet, nor the GTI.  To save money, I wonder if getting a 2 year old model, with low mileage, in either vehicle is good enough.  How much is one missing, if they settle for the previous gen.  Little bit of hp? little bit of fuel economy? Nannies that many of us don't care about?

The WRX is much better. I'd have to add several modifications to the previous-gen to bring back some of the sharpness, and then there's the efficiency and response of the 2.0L as compared to the older 2.5L. The GTI is also a pretty big improvement, although not quite as much of a leap forward. As before, the GTI is a great total package, where the Subaru feels like you're spending all the money on the drivetrain - this happens to appeal to me.

Good luck finding a previous-gen WRX hatchback in 2011+ year. Few and far between compared to the sedan.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54:03 am »
Interesting that almost all the comparason reviews I read the GTI wins by a long shot.  The GTI performance pack will be interesting to test out once that option becomes available.

A quick note about the WRX portion of the review, in the main body it references the 2014 WRX which is the old one. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:59:52 am by greengs »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
great comparo guys!

thanks.

i would take GTI, no question.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Mongo McMongo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:02:25 am »
So FWD is more fun than RWD or AWD with a kick-ass turbo? The reviews starts out by complaining that life isn't fun anymore because of all the rules, and then picks the car that seems to be the most appealing to the bourgeoisie class.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 10:02:50 am »

The WRX is much better. I'd have to add several modifications to the previous-gen to bring back some of the sharpness, and then there's the efficiency and response of the 2.0L as compared to the older 2.5L. The GTI is also a pretty big improvement, although not quite as much of a leap forward. As before, the GTI is a great total package, where the Subaru feels like you're spending all the money on the drivetrain - this happens to appeal to me.

Good luck finding a previous-gen WRX hatchback in 2011+ year. Few and far between compared to the sedan.

This seems rather appealing:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Subaru/Impreza/Toronto/Ontario/5_20445252_ON20080924111057061/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/GTI/TORONTO/Ontario/5_20843040_ON20080423102636500/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Very close in price...

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:12:29 am »

This seems rather appealing:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Subaru/Impreza/Toronto/Ontario/5_20445252_ON20080924111057061/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/GTI/TORONTO/Ontario/5_20843040_ON20080423102636500/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Very close in price...

Ad should say 5spd for the Subie. I hear the narrow-body WRX hatch isn't that much different in handling compared to the 2011+ widebody versions, at least with a few whiteline parts added on. Both have a significant amount of headroom in terms of tuning options.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:14:46 am »
So FWD is more fun than RWD or AWD with a kick-ass turbo? The reviews starts out by complaining that life isn't fun anymore because of all the rules, and then picks the car that seems to be the most appealing to the bourgeoisie class.

they said it's "EVERYDAY" fun.

if you don't have reasons or resources to have multiple cars so you would have to make do with only ONE car for fun/shopping/road trips/family run/winter driving/commute to work, you want the refinement, the ride quality, NVH, quality interior than GTI is still hard to beat.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:19:38 am »
I'm surprised the Mini did so well.  Isn't it essentially the same car as was released a decade ago?  Has it seen any real major changes since it first came out?  Every car in this compare except for the MX-5 and the Mini has seen major platform changes and complete reworks in that last decade.

Or, am I just wrong in my presumption that the outside of the car remaining the same means the insides and mechanicals haven't changed?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:43:42 am »
I'm surprised the Mini did so well. Isn't it essentially the same car as was released a decade ago?  Has it seen any real major changes since it first came out? Every car in this compare except for the MX-5 and the Mini has seen major platform changes and complete reworks in that last decade.

Or, am I just wrong in my presumption that the outside of the car remaining the same means the insides and mechanicals haven't changed?

you are wrong in your assumptions.  ;D

MINI has seen 2 generational updates, each time with new platform and new engine choices, completely new interiors and exteriors.

just because it still LOOKS like a MINI from decades ago doesn't mean it's essentially the same car.

the new MINI is phenomenal car and good value for someone wanting a BMW on the super cheap.

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:45:00 am »
Good comparison. I'm surprised to see the Mini was the cheapest as-tested car. The current Mini is often dissed for being a comprise of it's old self but it seems to fare well in actual road tests.

With an emphasis on 'everyday', the GTI appeals most to me among this group.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 11:12:18 am »
I don't want to ruin the rest of the read before finishing, but one error to note:
Juke Nismo RS does get up to speed quickly enough, punching above its 1.8 litres

It's a 1.6T, not 1.8.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
I don't want to ruin the rest of the read before finishing, but one error to note:
Juke Nismo RS does get up to speed quickly enough, punching above its 1.8 litres

It's a 1.6T, not 1.8.

Jonathan hates the Juke so much he refuses to get its stats right. It's like how my mother-in-law always calls me Joshua....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 11:17:00 am »

It's a 1.6T, not 1.8.

Jonathan hates the Juke so much he refuses to get its stats right. It's like how my mother-in-law always calls me Joshua....

i cannot imagine how anyone would hate you, jake! ;) ;D ;D

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 11:56:02 am »
great comparo guys!

thanks.

That's what I thought too going in. 

I'm on Jeff's side with the GTI.  It is too polished & refined - if that is what turns you on, you'll love the GTI... but for me, a good chunk of the car's capability is muted out.  Because of all that, i'd choose the DSG here instead of the 6 speed.  In fact, i'd probably take the Mini over the GTI... it is more like a GTI now, and I think does a better job of it.

I fell ridiculously in love with the WRX. It is a more raw/engaging experience - the clutch & shifter take a deliberate shove & is by far the fastest car in the test.  That 2.0T engine is an awesome unit.  Easily won the fun to drive category for me.

If I could have only one do it all car, it would be the WRX.  If I were buying a second car whose primary mission is fun, it would probably be the MX-5. 

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 11:57:09 am »
great comparo guys!

thanks.

I'm on Jeff's side with the GTI.  It is too polished & refined - if that is what turns you on, you'll love the GTI... but for me, a good chunk of the car's capability is muted out.  Because of all that, i'd choose the DSG here instead of the 6 speed.  In fact, i'd probably take the Mini over the GTI... it is more like a GTI now, and I think does a better job of it.

I fell ridiculously in love with the WRX. It is a more raw/engaging experience - the clutch & shifter take a deliberate shove & is by far the fastest car in the test.  That 2.0T engine is an awesome unit.  Easily won the fun to drive category for me.

If I could have only one do it all car, it would be the WRX.  If I were buying a second car whose primary mission is fun, it would probably be the MX-5.

Post your cliff notes up Weels, they're always good. I'll whack mine up this arvo when I dig them up.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 11:59:55 am »
For me its still between the Toyobaru twins and the WRX. I don't know what it is, the GTi and the Mini do nothing for me.....at least the Nismo Juke is interesting to look at.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 12:01:12 pm »
great comparo guys!

thanks.

This is a smart man

-signed, former Miata owner, current and former WRX(ish) owner