Author Topic: Tire Review: Bridgestone Blizzak WS70  (Read 50240 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:03:41 am »

Paul Williams explains why he likes driving his Blizzak WS70 winter tires despite a general lack of snow.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Review: Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:46:01 am »
The Blizzak is a classic category killer.  I loved the ones I've bought.  If buying snows today, Blizzaks and the Ice IIs would be in the running.  First Michelin I'd consider for winter.  Been burned lots of times before.  Love them in the other 3 seasons though.

However, I've used winter optimized 4 season tires for a few years.  Nokian WRs a few years ago and this year, Hankook Optimo 4Ss.  These do the job for me here in hilly snow country. 

More bite in severe conditions would be welcome but they are good enough in the winter and much better on dry or wet roads.  The Hankooks are a real surprise as they are the best narrow section tire (175-14) I've used.  Tight, round, quiet(!!) the Echo handles significantly better than with Michelin Harmonys.  Amazing really and they are up to expectations in the white stuff.

The gf's Fit has Blizzaks which is a good idea considering how comfortable she is in snow or on ice.  Highly not.  The Blizzaks really nail the Fit down on snowy roads.  They are quieter than her summer tires and she prefers to drive on them overall.

To bad they wear like pink erasers in hot weather.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:08:22 am »
ONLY 17% od Manitobans use Winter Tyres................ahh SAF COUNTRY.... :stick: :hide: :pimp: >:D :shuffle:......where men are men and the women great drivers..... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:43 am »
i have a set of X-IceII tires on my ET and love them...a colleague of mine decided to get a set of winter tires this season and was going to get some Goodyear tires that were on sale at Canadian Tire...i recommended he get his tires at Costco instead as they not only had better tires, but better prices...he picked up a set of WS70's for about $40 less than Canadian Tire wanted for their lesser tires...we had 42cm of snow earlier this week and he got his first chance to see how they worked...he was amazed at how much better winter tires were and was very pleased with his purchase...i told him the WS70 and XIce-II are likely the best tires to get...Nokians are good too, but hard to find and pricey.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
I could sit here and talk about snow tires all day long. Bottom line - if you live in Canada you should have snow tires. Talked my sister into getting them for her brand new Sorento (w/AWD) and like the author said - in the big smoke its not an issue of snow but more ice and slippery intersections where cars idle their hot exhaust onto the pavement where the moisture in it turns to ice and freezes (thus black ice). My sister was really on the fence about getting them but what ended up selling her on it was to tell her if it saves her from a single fender bender over the 4-5 years she's likely to have the set of tires they will have paid for themselves. I've yet to see even a minor collison on a new car cost less than $1000. Plus you get all the added security the whole year through.

As John M said - get either these Blizzaks (what my sister got) or the Xice 2s. I bought Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires for our Tucson (didn't think I could put Ice or WS70s on an SUV) and what a disappointment. Stopping and steering are still very excellent (thats the important part I suppose) but acclerating is like all seasons. They don't come close to the Xice on the mom-in-laws Sentra or previous WS50s I've owned (of course both on different vehicles than our Tucson but its really quite a dramatic difference). Like my wife said though, "What'd you expect? When was the last time you saw a scorpion in the snow?!" Hard to argue that one.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »
We put Blizzak WS70's on the Venza and despite having only a few days of ice and snow here in Oakville I was impressed. The tire compound remained soft as claimed and I tested them one day on the -15 dry streets and they were leaving tire marks behind with aggressive cornering. In the warmer temps near 0 the tires leave makes behind with little effort. I suspect with the soft compound they will not last very long and would be better suited for a colder climates other than the GTA. Since safety is the number one concern for me I will replace as required as tire wear is an indicator of traction.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »
We put Blizzak WS70's on the Venza and despite having only a few days of ice and snow here in Oakville I was impressed. The tire compound remained soft as claimed and I tested them one day on the -15 dry streets and they were leaving tire marks behind with aggressive cornering. In the warmer temps near 0 the tires leave makes behind with little effort. I suspect with the soft compound they will not last very long and would be better suited for a colder climates other than the GTA. Since safety is the number one concern for me I will replace as required as tire wear is an indicator of traction.

:iagree: Very happy with them on the Outback. An added bonus is they are quieter than the Continentals the car came with.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »
I get why these are popular and much-loved, but a lot of what I've read suggest they fall well short of "category killer" for me.

The combination of high-ish price and low durability combine for a pretty significant negative in my books.  Snow tires aren't a "fun" automotive purchase for me.  I believe they are smart / safe move for winter driving - but I'd just as soon get as many winters as possible out of a set before having to shell out dough for another 4.  My old Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsports that started out in the last couple years on my Maxima and throughout the 4 years I owned my Altima exemplify very good bang for the buck in my books.  And that includes a couple springs where I was REALLY late in getting the all-seasons back on.  Snowmans description of the tires easily leaving marks on the road in mild winter weather jives with a great many owner reports I have read on these tires and makes me shy away from purchasing them, notwithstanding their other attributes.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »
I've heard and read from many that these wear way too quickly, and that alone made me look elsewhere. My previous Toyo's lasted 5 winters and probably over 60k km, and from what I gathered, I would've been lucky to get 3 winters out of the Blizzak's. No thanks. It was between the X-Ice 2, or the new Toyo Gsi-5 for me... in the end, I stayed with Toyo, and have certainly not regretted it so far in all the snow and ice we got so far. Impressive tires!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:35:47 pm »
For Southern Ontario weather, I'll stick to my performance winters (Michelin Arctic Alpin PA2's). If I was up north, or back in Saskatoon, then perhaps the Blizzaks would be the better choice.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:52:56 pm »
Lots of good winter tires out there, but I've also driven on all-seasons and I'm still alive. To each their own.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:38:34 pm »
We'll see how they last, but we only put about 10k a year on the car.

My last tires were Arctic Alpins. The treadwear was fine, but by the 4th winter the compound was noticeably harder, and traction seemed to suffer.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:37 pm »
Put me in the category of not really caring how long winter tires last.  Traction is king to me, and if they only last two seasons instead of three, I don't care.  In the scheme of operating a car, an extra $500-700 or so every few years is peanuts compared to gas/insurance/depreciation, and those good tires make the driving experience better AND much safer.

The WS-70's on the Corolla are outstanding, easily the best winter tire we've had on any car.  Conditions have been mostly dry and bare this year, but we've had a few days of horrific driving conditions and the Blizzaks paid for themselves and more just on the afternoon my wife drove the Corolla out from an underpass while literally, every other vehicle was sliding back down the hill.  She was able to climb the hill AND drive around the back-sliding masses.

We did get three seasons out of the WS-60's and if we get two or three out of the WS-70's, that's fine with me.  They're awesome.  BTW, we chuck them when they hit 6/32.  Pretty much all winter tires see decreased performance when 6/32 or lower in tread depth.

Offline timelynoise

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:04:00 pm »
in the big smoke its not an issue of snow but more ice and slippery intersections where cars idle their hot exhaust onto the pavement where the moisture in it turns to ice and freezes (thus black ice).

Perhaps there are regional differences in how road conditions are described.

In BC, black ice is used to describe a veneer of ice that forms in patches where the micro climate has fallen below zero. The ice isn't visible - hence the name - because it's nothing more than frozen atmospheric moisture, not pooled water. It tends to form in areas that are in shadows or exposed to flowing cold air like a bridge. Road conditions go from normal to zero traction within a few feet.

In the lower mainland the ice at snow covered intersections results from the snow being compacted by passing cars. The process is very much like the ice that forms on the well travelled areas of a ski run over the course of the day.

The ice is most prevelant in the last few feet approaching the intersection where cars are either braking or accelerating. It isn't present further back where cars are idling waiting for signal changes. Out here, at least, the heat of passing cars doesn't appear to have anything to do with the formation of ice.

Vancouver is a very challenging place to drive in the snow. The coefficient of friction on snow is lowest when temperatures are hovering around zero. The coefficient goes up and stabilizes below -10C or so if memory serves me well.

When it's snowing our temperatures are usually close to zero so it's very slippery. Add to that many hills, a substantial percentage of inexperienced drivers, few winter tires, small snow removal budgets, and an already congested road system to create a nightmare.
"Any car will last a life time if you drive it fast enough." Bryce Gilkinson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:51 pm »
Put me in the category of not really caring how long winter tires last.  Traction is king to me, and if they only last two seasons instead of three, I don't care. 

Well then you definitely chose the right tires.  :) But perhaps you can allow that not everyone wants to buy a new set of snows every two years - and so the Blizzaks aren't "category killers" for them.  That term suggests not only the best in class - but the best BY FAR.  Overstating things a touch, IMHO.  There are lots of very good winter tires on the market.

And I don't for a second accept that traction / longevity is an either / or proposition in winter tires.  My Pirellis got me through some really scary storms - including a memorable whiteout in Rochester. I had NO complaints with the traction they provided in varied winter conditions.  And they handled nearly as well as the OE all season rubber. And they lasted a loooong time.

$500 for a set of Blizzaks?  What's that for - 14" size?  They are just over a $1k for a set of 4 for my stock 18" Sonata rims.  I suspect Snowman's cost a good deal more for the set for his Venza. The list of things I'd rather do with a thousand dollars that ranks ahead of buying a new set of Blizzaks is long indeed.

Jaeger

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:11 pm »
Mrs tpl's Fit has the WS60 that was the best one at the time.  Still looking like new 'cos of her low mileage.   She has Blizzaks on her car because as I was buying them I could see every reason for her having the best tires available... Fall 2012 I'll replace them just because they will be 5 years old although they will be at 75% tread left if not more.

As John says who cares about a few '00 bucks compared to the depreciation/gas / insurance and so on.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »
Mrs tpl's Fit has the WS60 that was the best one at the time.  Still looking like new 'cos of her low mileage.   She has Blizzaks on her car because as I was buying them I could see every reason for her having the best tires available... Fall 2012 I'll replace them just because they will be 5 years old although they will be at 75% tread left if not more.

As John says who cares about a few '00 bucks compared to the depreciation/gas / insurance and so on.

Man...what a waste.  You'll be able to get good coin for them used I would guess.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »
I would get this (or other Q-rated stuff) if I lived in a snowier climate than the GTA, but that just isn't the case. Majority of the time even in the winter I am driving on bare roads.

The current fleet:
TSX: Dunlop WinterSport, 5th season (and last), H-rated
Z4: Dunlop WinterSport, 2nd season, H-rated
GLK: Pirelli Scorpion Ice + Snow, 1st season, H-rated

The WinterSports did just fine in a horrific Ottawa winter the first year I had them (07/08). I keenly recall a drive from Ottawa to Toronto during a blizzard...passed many, many cars in ditches along the way. Visibility was so poor I had to double check which way the road was curving against the GPS image. That said I wouldn't do the same journey in the same conditions today given the treadwear in the interim...I'd take the GLK. ;D
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 09:13:38 pm »
In fairness, don't exaggerate the longevity issue.  If a better set of winter tires means I get, say, four seasons rather than 5, then I am not especially concerned.  I've had X-Ice, Firestone Winterforce, Goodyear Nordic and Blizzaks.  The Blizzaks are a much better performing tire (in my experience)..and so far I have not experienced excessive wear.

"In fairness" John was the one who suggested two years (seasons) for the Blizzaks.  My Pirellis lasted three times as long.  That's rather a large difference.  Yes, 4 years versus 5 would not be a big difference.

You sure go through a lot of winter tires.  How many of the Blizzak's CURRENT competitors have you tried?  I find it hard to believe that as good as winter tires have become, the Blizzaks are still so far ahead better than anything else as to be "category killers".  I find significant exaggeration in that term.

Jaeger

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 09:19:02 pm »
In fairness, don't exaggerate the longevity issue.  If a better set of winter tires means I get, say, four seasons rather than 5, then I am not especially concerned.  I've had X-Ice, Firestone Winterforce, Goodyear Nordic and Blizzaks.  The Blizzaks are a much better performing tire (in my experience)..and so far I have not experienced excessive wear.

"In fairness" John was the one who suggested two years (seasons) for the Blizzaks.  My Pirellis lasted three times as long.  That's rather a large difference.  Yes, 4 years versus 5 would not be a big difference.

You sure go through a lot of winter tires.  How many of the Blizzak's CURRENT competitors have you tried?  I find it hard to believe that as good as winter tires have become, the Blizzaks are still so far ahead better than anything else as to be "category killers".  I find significant exaggeration in that term.

Jaeger

We've had the WS60s.  They wore very quickly.  Switched them out to X-Ice2s.  X-Ice2s are wearing much, much longer.  And overall, we feel it's a better tire.