Author Topic: Any other car owners don't need a car?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Any other car owners don't need a car?
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:44:24 am »
On another forum, someone started a post about car-free living, and people chimed in with posts about how it would never work for them because they live far from work, need to drive their kids to after school activities, need to drive their elderly parents around, drive clients, tow their boat, etc. I was about to compose a post listing the reasons why I need a car when I realized I had no good arguments. I live in the GTA where there's a good transit system, work is a 20 minute walk away (in fact I usually walk and only drive when I'm feeling lazy), there's a mall within easy walking distance to my condo, and for the few times a year when I need to go out of town I can rent, which would be much cheaper than what I pay now for gas, insurance, parking, maintenance and depreciation. And the emergence of companies like Zipcar, Uber, Communauto, etc makes going car-free easier than ever. Yet I still choose to own a car even though I don't need one. I simply like the convenience, I like cars, I like driving, and get a certain pride of ownership, which to me justifies the cost. I suppose if I was hard up for money I might sell it but I'm not. I also own a motorcycle, which I also don't need. Anyone else here for who a car is a want rather than a need?

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
Re: Any other car owners don't need a car?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:14:08 pm »
Immediate reactions to family emergencies, sick *older* parents, visits to remote parents, collecting the sick offspring from school/before-care/after-care etc. definitely make owning a car easier than using a car sharing program or relying solely on public transport. I guess a taxi would suffice for the "emergencies"...

Like you I've got a motorcycle that I don't "need", but what can you do. If I tried to sell it I wouldn't get near what I want so what's the point in doing that.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:19:50 pm »
I uninsured our minivan for three months. We really don't need it, but I'm going to reinsure it again with the most basic insurance for the odd weekend we happen to need a second vehicle.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Any other car owners don't need a car?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 02:24:18 pm »
I have a couple of friends who live in downtown Toronto. They don't have cars as they also work there. Problem is, when they want to travel outside of the transit area, they always want picking up. So it's convenient for them, not for others.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 02:28:27 pm »
Vancouverites have four different car share companies or co-ops to use now: Modo Co-op, Zipcar, Car2Go, and Evo. Toronto has Zipcar at the very least. If you don't have a car, there's really no excuse not to be a member of one of these services.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:17:50 pm »
I live downtown Toronto. The streetcar comes literally right outside my condo, and the subway is seconds away too. Somehow though, I currently have three cars parked downstairs, and will have four vehicles total all summer. I *could* get away without a car, but as a car guy, I just couldn't do it.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »
I went from July 2003 to November 2006 without a car.  I live in downtown Winnipeg so had no real issues as everything I need to do is within walking distance.  I rented a car whenever I needed to.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 04:40:10 pm »
So you give up your car for a year, or two, and things change and you need a car now
Imagine what your insurance rates will be because now you are listed as a new driver  :rofl2:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:32:47 pm »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:30 am »
In BC, insurance discount is tied to one's driver's license, not the insurance itself. One can have a drivers license at 16 consistently until they finally buy their own vehicle at the age of 46, and get a full insurance discount on that vehicle. The thought is that as long as you have had a valid license, you may have driven a car at some point such as a rental, a family member's vehicle, etc. The only time you don't accrue discount steps is when you don't have a valid drivers license.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:37 am »
We went from two cars down to one car.  The decision was made because we bought a house as near as possible to my work, allowing me to cycle year round.

Going from two cars to one was part and parcel of buying a house where we did.  I went from a 35min commute in my car, to a 7 minute commute on my bike.  Sure, it sucks in the winter, but in the spring and summer?  Nothing better than a short bike ride before and after work.  And I lopped off almost a full hour from my daily commute, allowing me to spend time with my family.  Hell, in the summer I ride my bike home for lunch and get to see my kid then, too.

That being said, we've made some sacrifices that would be familiar to families ditching cars entirely.  My wife and I have staggered our schedules so that she works in the evening and I work during the day, with a small bit of overlap.  We avoid paying for childcare by doing this.  In the evenings, however, I don't have access to a car, as my wife takes it to go teach her Yoga witchcraft at different locations around the city.  However, it's not the end of the world.  We have a SuperStore a 5 minute walk away from our house, so if I need to pick something up for dinner, I just take my toddler for a nice little walk.  Again, easier in the summer than in the winter.  The odd time that I need the car for something during the week, I have to drive her to work, then pick her up afterwards, which is kind of a pain in the butt.

COULD we live without a car?  I've thought about this, actually, and the implications it would have.  Of course, it would be easier if my wife didn't work.  Half of the car's use is her driving to work.  Transit in this city sucks real bad, especially for the different places she has to go.  She COULD ride a bike during the warmer months, but I would never ask her to ride as far as she has to in the winter.  As far as grocery and food shopping, as I said, we have a Superstore a 5 minute walk away.  Of Course, it would mean instead of doing a massive $300 shop every two weeks that we load in the car to bring home, we'd have to do smaller shops a few times a week.  Where we would suffer would be the weekend activities.  My kid has gymkids on the other end of the city, and I like to visit my parents each weekend, too.  Of Course, if we didn't have a car, my parents could come visit US, instead of the other way round, and I could enroll the spawn in programming closer to home.  I'm sure there's something.

Really, a large part of our lifestyle is built around the fact that we DO have a car, so we CAN do the things that we do.  If we didn't have a car, we would make sacrifices and adapt accordingly.  Just like when we had two cars, we were accustomed to having freedoms that were afforded to us.  When we went from two-to-one, we had to make changes and adaptations, and now, a year later, we barely remember what it was like being a two-car family. 

If Transit were better in this city, it would be an easier decision, but for the forseeable future, combined with the fact that my wife's income greatly exceeds what our car costs us, I don't see the benefit at this point in not having at least one car.