Author Topic: A Guide to Stress-free Driving for Older Drivers  (Read 6975 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: A Guide to Stress-free Driving for Older Drivers
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 07:55:31 am »
My Dad is almost 80 and loves ripping the S2K up and down through the gears - and takes long road trips (they drove to Ontario!) in the little car.  Not all seniors are ready for the bus...

:fiver:  Now that's living the dream! 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 04:52:43 pm »
both my grandparents gave up their licenses over the last couple months. it was tough on them, but man do i feel better. their reaction time was getting too slow, the physicality of it was too much and both (grandpa especially) were starting to have their minds wander to things going on at the side of the road and such...

overall, there are some tests and such for the elderly, but almost all that i know of who went, passed... unlike all 16 year olds for their tests. i don't know if even the testers have it in them to take away the license... my grandpa would tell me about driving a bren gun carrier and how he can drive anything... i would have to correct him, that he "could" drive anything... he also could drive a golf ball, run 5km, drink like a fish and stay up past 9.

it was mentioned in the article that the stats are misleading due to older drivers being in the city and driving less... all it means is that their is a way higher % that they will get into an accident every time they get behind the wheel... also, so many of the little fender benders are so avoidable to a "normal" driver... while people aren't getting hurt, it is so wasteful in both time and resources for these avoidable accidents.

again... ymmv... but yeah.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 06:29:02 pm »
I notice Sir O had to go for the 80 year plus set to outdo the teens and 20's   shame on you and yer STAT..
and the 80 Plus have to take annual tests   maybe the rest need ANAL test cos they drive like arsenholers :light: :banghead:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Andrall

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Massachusetts Boston
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 10:30:01 am »
They probably need to have their stick wedged up their bum surgically removed, cause it sure seems that they can’t do it themselves, that's something my grandpa would definitely say.