Author Topic: Comparison Test: Funky Front-Wheel Drive Turbos  (Read 12481 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Funky Front-Wheel Drive Turbos
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:55 am »

In its latest comparison, Autos.ca chucks three nifty turbocharged compacts into the ring to battle for budget enthusiast supremacy.

Read More...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Comparison Test: Funky Front-Wheel Drive Turbos
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:58:58 am »
hmmm... the veloster really makes the most sense as a driver for many with more space for people, more room for stuff and in my mind, the best looks, not to mention the best price tag...

but the performance is definitely where i've continually heard it fumbles the trophy.

luckily for me, it would be for my wife and she wouldn't know the difference between a lotus and a pinto for driving feel.

also, a nod to the VW... never thought i'd say that the beetle doesn't look that bad. but they definitely put some testicles on it... not big ole ones, but enough that its not just going to be assumed its a girls car anymore.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:05 am »
This is the second or third review where I've read that the Veloster turbo doesn't seem to stack up in terms of power to its HP rating.  Maybe odd gearing?  Either way I really wish HP ratings would be equal across the board.  Stop over/under rating that seems to be going on out there. 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:05 am »

In its latest comparison, Autos.ca chucks three nifty turbocharged compacts into the ring to battle for budget enthusiast supremacy.

Read More...

It was fun reading.
I think the Veloster is perfectly fine for sedate day-to-day driving with an occasional stomp on the go pedal.
For funky and fun, I would probably pick the Abarth. It's cheaper than the Beetle and provides good adrenaline rush which would define "fun" for me (my back would feel otherwise).
Beetle adds civility and maturilty to the package so one can live with it as a daily driver and as a precision carving tool. But you have to pay for it. I would  :)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:12:06 am »

Read More...

It was fun reading.
I think the Veloster is perfectly fine for sedate day-to-day driving with an occasional stomp on the go pedal.
For funky and fun, I would probably pick the Abarth. It's cheaper than the Beetle and provides good adrenaline rush which would define "fun" for me (my back would feel otherwise).
Beetle adds civility and maturilty to the package so one can live with it as a daily driver and as a precision carving tool. But you have to pay for it. I would  :)

Yup, that pretty much sums up our thoughts.  None of these vehicles really 'did it' for me, but all three have make a very solid case for ownership for very different reasons.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:15 am »
This comparison is a clash between three absolutely different rooted approaches to the theme. But most interesting for me is the blank field of reliability statistics for a long term. Plus which one is the weidest of the bunch?

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:12 am »
If a life of long commutes and open stretches of road are on the menu then the Abarth my not be the best choice. Otherwise it has the most character of the trio and I would happily endure the noted shortfalls for the chance to own such a fun and funky little car. Great article and a fun read!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:23 am »
   I keep reading about driving comfort of the 500 and negatives and strange seating and so on but most testers seem to be charmed by it. As I was when I looked at the Ordinaire package in the showroom. Come to think of it, I was charmed into buying an 'original Mini' with the tiny wheels and rubber suspension...and I bought one. It also was a 'wow' for it's time and a super little car. Oh, it had it's quirks also but overall the revolutionary design is fondly remembered. I don't know, I was a kid then and could put my socks on without giving myself a hernia. Still the 500 seems to generate the same aura somehow and it was easy to enter and exit without a struggle and the cockpit cues were great and the room inside was plenty for me and the wife and dog (with rear seat folded).
   I don't want the Abarth (seems a bit raw) but the lower powered 'T' version sounds great...it gets the stronger drive parts also and I like that. The only problem is that there is no automatic transmission for this version and is ruled out for this reason. Maybe one can not be fitted to this equal length drive shaft version or maybe it requires a unit that is stronger than the ordinary version. Anyway, hopefully it will make an appearance before I have to give up my licence for driving at 80km. per. on the highway...oh in the outer (fast?) lane. Never seen that in 55 years of driving.
   The other vehicles don't turn me on. I maybe am the only one who does not like the Hyundai with the Soul roofline and the VW shape maybe has been around too long IMO but...the 500 looks like FUN. Hmm...never thought that I would say that about a car...but I don't care. I think, though, A rental would be in order for me to make sure that I can live with it. What one dissmissed as a youngster might be more troublesome now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:58:55 am by Rupert »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:41 am »
   I keep reading about driving comfort of the 500 and negatives and strange seating and so on but most testers seem to be charmed by it. As I was when I looked at the Ordinaire package in the showroom. Come to think of it, I was charmed into buying an 'original Mini' with the tiny wheels and rubber suspension...and I bought one. It also was a 'wow' for it's time and a super little car. Oh, it had it's quirks also but overall the revolutionary design is fondly remembered. I don't know, I was a kid then and could put my socks on without giving myself a hernia. Still the 500 seems to generate the same aura somehow and it was easy to enter and exit without a struggle and the cockpit cues were great and the room inside was plenty for me and the wife and dog (with rear seat folded).
   I don't want the Abarth (seems a bit raw) but the lower powered 'T' version sounds great...it gets the stronger drive parts also and I like that. The only problem is that there is no automatic transmission for this version and is ruled out for this reason. Maybe one can not be fitted to this equal length drive shaft version or maybe it requires a unit that is stronger than the ordinary version. Anyway, hopefully it will make an appearance before I have to give up my licence for driving at 80km. per. on the highway...oh in the outer (fast?) lane. Never seen that in 50 years of driving.
   The other vehicles don't turn me on. I maybe am the only one who does not like the Hyundai with the Soul roofline and the VW shape maybe has been around too long IMO but...the 500 looks like FUN. Hmm...never thought that I would say that about a car...but I don't care. I think, though, A rental would be in order for me to make sure that I can live with it. What one dissmissed as a youngster might be more troublesome now.

Yeah, if you can tolerate most of the nuances and find a suitable driving position, the 500 should keep you smiling.  Keep the rear seats permanently folded down and it is surprisingly practical too.,

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:02:54 am »
Another good comparison review, Mike.  Although a big fan of hot hatches, none of these vehicles really floats my boat- I just can't get over the "form over function" nature of all three.  Personally, I think I'd look at a FWD Juke for a "value" funky FWD tubo- about $23K all-in right now IIRC (with incentives).  Interior may not be as nice the Veloster turbo, but likely more fun (and probably a lot more usable year round with the increased ground clearance, although the cargo area is similarly small).

If going to step-up to the "big league" of FWD hot hatches, the only reason I could see anyone taking the Beatle over the GTI or the Focus ST is style.  But price is no better, performance is slightly worse, and practicality is significantly worse.  Good on VW for continuing to improve the model though.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:38:13 am »
The Veloster seems to me over styled to the point of freakishness. Nor has any Korean car I have ever driven really impressed me with its driving dynamics. It's price and financing that sell them; in many ways Hyundai has become the new GM for working class Canada. Reasonably priced cars that are easy to get into.

A Mexican made Italian car? Caveat emptor.

A $33k, Mexican made VW? Pass.

An Acura ILX 2.4 can be had for much less than the VW and it's made right here in Canada. No turbo for future headaches, that's assuming anyone keeps a car after warranty anymore, since young people are accustomed to perpetual car payments now anyway.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:47:05 am »
The Veloster seems to me over styled to the point of freakishness. Nor has any Korean car I have ever driven really impressed me with its driving dynamics. It's price and financing that sell them; in many ways Hyundai has become the new GM for working class Canada. Reasonably priced cars that are easy to get into.

A Mexican made Italian car? Caveat emptor.

A $33k, Mexican made VW? Pass.

An Acura ILX 2.4 can be had for much less than the VW and it's made right here in Canada. No turbo for future headaches, that's assuming anyone keeps a car after warranty anymore, since young people are accustomed to perpetual car payments now anyway.

Quite some time ago I went through all the VW models and compared place of manufacture to CR reliability. There was no correlation. Some good models and bad models from both Germany and Mexico.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »
Not the fairest Comparo I've read. The VW Beetle is definately in a different weight class. The Nissan Juke fwd or Chevrolet Sonic Turbo would have been a better choice.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:45:12 pm »
Hmm,

Can't access some of the exterior VW Beetle photos.  Links point to other images.

As far as the cars themselves go, I'm not surprised at the results.  Previous reviews of the Veloster indicated it was more sizzle than meat in the performance department and the Abarth looks like a toy.  The price tag on that Beetle, though, ... wow.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Comparison Test: Funky Front-Wheel Drive Turbos
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »
really?  a bug?   i don't know anybody who would buy that car.   it's just sooooooooooooo ugly!!!!!

Tons of them around Toronto. So someone must like them.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
really?  a bug?   i don't know anybody who would buy that car.   it's just sooooooooooooo ugly!!!!!

While I totally agree with you, there is a large amount of ladies around town with Bugs that would disagree with you. From college to middle aged women, they love them.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »
Well, I can definately understand how/why the Beetle won. Not sure about second place though. I'm all for the Fiat's unique looks (and I personally think it looks GREAT in Abarth trim) but from the reviews I've read I think the handling/driving experience would get nauseating after a while - it just sounds too twitchy.

Anyway I'd save up another couple of months and get a Focus ST or GTI instead and have 0 compromises.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »
Well, I can definately understand how/why the Beetle won. Not sure about second place though. I'm all for the Fiat's unique looks (and I personally think it looks GREAT in Abarth trim) but from the reviews I've read I think the handling/driving experience would get nauseating after a while - it just sounds too twitchy.

Anyway I'd save up another couple of months and get a Focus ST or GTI instead and have 0 compromises.

Or a BRZ and really have no compromises.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »
This comparison is a clash between three absolutely different rooted approaches to the theme. But most interesting for me is the blank field of reliability statistics for a long term. Plus which one is the weidest of the bunch?

I am not sure what you mean by blank field of reliability stats for long term? these are new cars so there are no reliability stats, but maybe that is your point?  Because with other comparisons tests done here, reliability was not a factor either....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 01:59:30 pm »

:iagree: