Author Topic: Camaro 1LE Returns  (Read 17549 times)

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Camaro 1LE Returns
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 06:40:39 pm »
Yea, but only one of these cars will be collectible.  And the interior in the Camaro is still awful.

Neither would be collectible if I owned it.  I'd drive it. Accumulate kms.  Probably far too many.
Thats where Im at...whats the point of having a dust collector?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 06:42:38 pm »
Yea, but only one of these cars will be collectible.  And the interior in the Camaro is still awful.

Neither would be collectible if I owned it.  I'd drive it. Accumulate kms.  Probably far too many.
Thats where Im at...whats the point of having a dust collector?!?!?!

A properly kept, driven car will still be collectible. 

Driving car as it was intended doesn't turn it into a piece of junk.

WTF is wrong with you guys?

Jon..your 930 with a bazillion KMs would still be worth HUUUGE money today.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:44:54 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 06:45:46 pm »
Maybe, maybe not.  Cars to me are not investments. They're depreciating assets that are either transportation or recreation or some combination of both.  I wouldn't pay the large premium for the Mustang on the hope that it would overcome the price disadvantage by someday becoming collectible.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Camaro 1LE Returns
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »
I betcha a car with 150k km, normal wear and tear and rock chips will be worth peanuts

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »
Interior of the new Camaro is in no way worse than that of the Stang.

Yes, the interior is worse.   

Plus they reduced the headroom from the previous gen.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 10:25:08 pm »
Maybe, maybe not.  Cars to me are not investments. They're depreciating assets that are either transportation or recreation or some combination of both.  I wouldn't pay the large premium for the Mustang on the hope that it would overcome the price disadvantage by someday becoming collectible.

Totally agree with John on this one.  I see myself as having two options: (1) buy it and drive it, or (2) don't buy it.  Obsessing about mileage, etc, became self-defeating for me in the past.

Who's obsessing about mileage?  Certainly not me.  I've owned a few collector cars that I drove and properly maintained them.  And sold them for surprisingly large coin considering the high mileage.

As I said before..there is no reason you can't drive and enjoy a car and keep it in near mint condition.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »
I was only speaking from personal experience. The desire to keep cars mint has frustrated my ownership experience in the past. It's not worth it, or so I've resolved.

Oh.  I don't find it hard at all, personally.  1 decent, quick detail a week.  Done.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:48 am »
Oh.  I don't find it hard at all, personally.  1 decent, quick detail a week.  Done.

So I'm about 305 details behind then. Oh well. :-\

Offline bone

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford F-150. Mustang
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:15 am »
The satin black hood is kinda dumb but the rest of the package is rather tasty

I liked it on the previous 1LE and don't mind it at all on this version. I understand that it is a wrap and not paint.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 10:08:04 am »
Interior of the new Camaro is in no way worse than that of the Stang.

Yes, the interior is worse.   

Plus they reduced the headroom from the previous gen.

I would agree with rrocket that the Maro interior, though perhaps not any worse in quality than the Mustang, is definitely worse in style to my eyes:

Neither are great at all, but the Camaro still looks a little too much like something an 11 yr old boy would have sketched up for his dream car.

BUT, I wouldn't let that dissuade me from buying the Camaro over the Mustang as the SS sounds like a heck of machine otherwise.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 10:18:20 am »

This logic never made sense to me.   Just because something is a depreciating asset does not mean it is not an investment.  It's not a GOOD investment obviously, but you can still mitigate your loss (improve your return) by taking good care of it.   It's up to the owner whether that improvement in return is worth the care.

It's really no different than a house.  Sure your home is likely to appreciate based purely on the value of land.  But the interior of the home (kitchen, bathes, etc) will naturally depreciate over time as they go further out of style and suffer wear and tear.   Taking good care of those depreciating portions will mitigate your loss on them if you were to sell without renovating.

Everything one buys is an investment.   A lot of them will have virtually no return in the end, but a car is rarely one of them.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 10:25:59 am »
that camaro steering wheel....    urg.....  that's the ugliest steering wheel i've seen in at least 10 years.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 11:05:06 am »
Some pretty honest feedback from a GM engineer about the poor visibility in the Camaro, and why it didn't change...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/02/why-is-the-chevrolet-camaro-so-hard-to-see-out-of-.html

I love the updates GM has made - more power, tidier dimensions, less weight, etc.  But the styling doesn't wow me enough to overlook that sort of egregious design flaw.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 02:15:11 pm »
Agreed!

Looks awesome. The big one for me is that it's the Camaro with proper seats!

This is the 'Maro for Vmango

I like it too, but you can actually fit kids in the back of the GT350, not so in the Camaro.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 02:19:28 pm »

Totally agree with John on this one.  I see myself as having two options: (1) buy it and drive it, or (2) don't buy it.  Obsessing about mileage, etc, became self-defeating for me in the past.

Who's obsessing about mileage?  Certainly not me.  I've owned a few collector cars that I drove and properly maintained them.  And sold them for surprisingly large coin considering the high mileage.

As I said before..there is no reason you can't drive and enjoy a car and keep it in near mint condition.

Every North American that buys a special edition suddenly thinks their car is collectible, it's not.  It's just a few hundreds dollars more expensive than the other used ones.  I couldn't care less if it was only 1 of 63 ordered in that particular colour, that's because you've got bad taste.  And the fact that it has some stickers on saying Indy Pace Car just makes it look more ridiculous.  Great you have the window sticker, it's not really important in life is it...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 02:22:32 pm »
Evil Twin,

While I agree with your assessment (you're more accurate than Rocket), you didn't choose equivalent pictures. a) you chose more flattering pictures of the Mustang, and b) you used pictures of the GT350 Mustang not the GT with which the SS competes. These pictures also weren't of the interior of the 1LE and there are important changes that improve the interior in my mind.

But you're right  :)

But also, it wouldn't sway me from my decision of taking the SS over the GT and mine would be the 1LE.  :)

But hey, as I've always said. You can't go wrong with either the Mustang or the Camaro IMO. Sweet machines.

I really like the new Camaro, both in and out.  The interior is a huge improvement on the old one.  So I took quite a bit of time at the autoshow to try it out.  Where I would sit meant no legroom behind, so that ruled it out for me.  Otherwise it's an amazing car.