Author Topic: Auto Tech: Confidence Enhancing Camera Systems  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Confidence Enhancing Camera Systems
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:27:25 am »

Cameras are more abundant and hard-working than ever these days ' and they're finding new uses in the automotive world, too.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Auto Tech: Confidence Enhancing Camera Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:26 am »
Great tech review!!!

As long as cameras are used to supplement, and not take over, I love it!

...however, unlike your assertion, these 'cheap' appliances seem to be outrageously packaged and available only on top-end models.  For safety features, I'd like to see them either standard, or standalone options (or packaged in lower-trims).  Subaru does this in Japan (I'm sure others do, but that's the only one that comes to mind) - I remember seeing the trims for the then-upcoming 2014 Forester suggesting that EyeSight was a 105,000 yen standalone option ($1,131 CAD at the current exchange rate) on EVERY trim level (including the 6MT!). 

Case-in-point, the suggestion was that EyeSight was ordered in 90% of all JDM Foresters in the first month:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/21/subaru-says-forester-logs-8-000-jdm-orders-in-first-month-4x-ex/

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:52 am »
...popular topic?

Shame, I actually really liked the article.  Thanks, Pritch!

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:59:34 pm »
If you want some of these features and don't want to buy a new car with a costly option, you can get something called a Mobileye.  I have one and it works well.  It also reads speed limit signs and has a settable tolerance.  Unfortunately it can't distinguish off-ramp speed warning signs from real speed limit signs.

Even better than that, either just on the market or almost ready for it, is an app that uses your smartphone to do these sorts of things.  Presumably it could even use phones with both front and back cameras to report on what's going on behind and ahead.

I have one reservation about these things.  Some of the circumstances they warn of could better be done using sound rather than imagery.  While you're looking at the screen, you can't be looking at anything else. Such as front-end swing while watching the screen as you reverse.  I think some portion of the reverse function should be done with audio rather than screen images.

Lastly, it's about time North American vehicle regulations allowed rearview cameras to replace the outside mirrors.  I can think of no good reason not to do this, and the total fuel savings would be enormous.  Not to mention cars being narrower, easier to wash etc.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:02 am »
If you want some of these features and don't want to buy a new car with a costly option, you can get something called a Mobileye.  I have one and it works well.  It also reads speed limit signs and has a settable tolerance.  Unfortunately it can't distinguish off-ramp speed warning signs from real speed limit signs.

Even better than that, either just on the market or almost ready for it, is an app that uses your smartphone to do these sorts of things.  Presumably it could even use phones with both front and back cameras to report on what's going on behind and ahead.

I have one reservation about these things.  Some of the circumstances they warn of could better be done using sound rather than imagery.  While you're looking at the screen, you can't be looking at anything else. Such as front-end swing while watching the screen as you reverse.  I think some portion of the reverse function should be done with audio rather than screen images.

Lastly, it's about time North American vehicle regulations allowed rearview cameras to replace the outside mirrors. I can think of no good reason not to do this, and the total fuel savings would be enormous.  Not to mention cars being narrower, easier to wash etc.
Two problems. Minor one:  A display that will be visible in all lighting conditions even in full sunshine...I have not yet seen any solid state display like that.
Major one:  Where do you put the display, how big will it be and what will it show. How do you ensure that the people you drive looking through a keyhole in winter will rid the camera of snow.

Plus all kinds of minor stuff like keeping the cameras clean, reliability etc.

Certainly done right it would be good but I suggest that euro bi-convex outside mirrors both sides are a lot cheaper
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:54 pm »
I like driving aids as long as they are 'aids' and not relied upon FOR driving.

Case-in-point:
I like backup cameras only to know how far back I can go (parking with greater accuracy).  I don't use the camera for the approach or the swing EXCEPT to first check and make sure no little child has run behind my vehicle before I start moving.