Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Honda Ridgeline  (Read 6445 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Honda Ridgeline
« on: September 28, 2016, 07:17:53 am »
All-new Ridgeline maintains handy touches from the original, drives like a great big Honda Accord.
Read more...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Honda Ridgeline
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:14:21 am »
I always love your reviews, Pritch.  Some comical relief a la:
I’m regularly called rude names, offered cupcakes with pink frosting, pressed about man-satchel ownership, and accused of a questionable use of glitter.
(and what's wrong with getting free cupcakes?  Who cares what colour the frosting is!!), a thorough review of the vehicle's standards, and then your opinion on the things that a brochure can't tell you (i.e. driving characteristics, niggles, and great use of features contrary to their original intention (using that storage bin as a giant cooler for tailgating?!  EFFING BRILLIANT!)).  I love that you made a smoothie in the bed of a truck - who does that?

*props*

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:16:30 am by No-san »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 11:26:25 am »
...and great use of features contrary to their original intention (using that storage bin as a giant cooler for tailgating?!  EFFING BRILLIANT!)). 

Great idea, but it was Honda's. They even say on their website that the trunk "includes a drain plug, so you can use it as an ice chest..."

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:43 am »
Playing the Lambo soundtrack through the truck bed audio speaker!  Lmao.... :rofl2:  Good review! 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 11:47:28 am »
BUT It's NOT A DUCK..!!!  but it has a pond in the back.............. :o
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:28 pm »
Very informative review.  Reinforces my position, if I was in the market for a mid size, it would be the GMC Canyon V6, more value.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 10:39:10 pm »
Had a drive in one of these.   The base has the Honda/Acura basket of self steering, self braking and self following which really work; combo of radar and cameras.   Heated seats and remote start.  Great base radio.  $36,600.    Grand Slam!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:54:10 pm »
I love this truck. It actually makes sense for many truck buyers that haul air on a daily basis.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:58:32 pm »
I love this truck. It actually makes sense for many truck buyers that haul air on a daily basis.

Which is to say...most of them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:46 pm »
I'm not a truck guy either, but I also LOVE the Tacoma. If I were to test drive both, I'd want the Ridgeline for its refinement and car like handling. The Tacoma wins for overall reputation and youthful looks.

I wouldn't mind a silver Ridgeline, or a red Tacoma Access Cab, V6 4x4 TRD pkg, 6MT!

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 11:53:15 pm »
Very informative review.  Reinforces my position, if I was in the market for a mid size, it would be the GMC Canyon V6, more value.

I like this truck too, but not until GM improves its quality control and reliability.  Having said that, from what I've read the new Ridgeline has its share of 'new vehicle' problems.
The first generation Ridgeline was built when Honda was still building high quality and reliable vehicles.  The new Ridgeline-not so much.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 01:07:12 am »
I was knocked out regarding how well it drove.  My son's 2017 RDX is infinitely better than his 2013 V6 version.  Other than perhaps the TLX transmission(s) fiasco, I think Honda is killing it in all respects.

Finding no issues @ ridgeline owners.  Speaking of the Colorado, here are a few assuming posts:  :rofl2:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/145905-should-have-waited-new-owner-thoughts.html

Post #1
Been Interested in the new Ridgeline, since it's announcement, but I got ants in the pants and bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado in May, a LT 4wd, Red Rock Met. in color, 4dr crew cab. It turns out not to have been a wise decision. We like the truck, it's super sharp, etc... but..., it has a host of issues, transmission shifting, engine rattle at start-up & several other things, (my dealer & GM is useless on). My other issue is getting in & out, mostly in. Even with the seat mostly all the way down & back (power) I still hit my head getting in. I thought I could get use to it/live with it, but I can't. I have some back problems, and it just isn't working out. I know the RL has a great ease of entry/exit in comparison. Wished I had cooled my heals & waited on the RL, although I know it has had some issues too. Is it worth the plunge?
 Thanks!

Post #6
I too was in the market for a Chevy Colorado (having had my Avalanche for eleven years). I wanted to downsize from the Tank but still needed a truck and wanted the tech as I was still only able to play CDs (no Bluetooth). The Colorado seemed the best transition and test drove just fine until I drove the Ridgeline. It was like night and day... Like driving a luxury vehicle! Much more headroom, backseat legroom, and it was he only midsize truck with rear seat A/C. Plus the cargo options are better. I've had it now for three weeks and no issues and look forward to driving it everyday. I haul around a lot of musical instrument gear and it's less cumbersome than with my Avalanche. If your looking for a commuter and utility truck it's a no brainier. But you'll have to test drive to see for yourself.

PS

Here is another regarding the Taco.  It's dead on.

Post #8
I test drove a Tacoma 2016 limited before the RL... While it was a solid feeling truck, when I first got in the drivers seat, my head was immediately touching the ceiling even while tilted (I'm 6'3). I had to lean back the seat just to not touch my head. It was uncomfortable. I too had an older ('91) Toyota pickup and didn't remember it being that bad... The Tacoma just felt so cramped!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:12:03 am by ArticSteve »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 10:34:41 am »

I like this truck too, but not until GM improves its quality control and reliability.  Having said that, from what I've read the new Ridgeline has its share of 'new vehicle' problems.
The first generation Ridgeline was built when Honda was still building high quality and reliable vehicles.  The new Ridgeline-not so much.

Even the old GM made trucks/suvs well.  With some minor exceptions. The 3.6L is a proven powertrain.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of these in terms of reliability. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
Was telling a good friend of mine the other day that the Ridgeline would be the perfect vehicle for him. He's on his second leased F-150 Crew Cab EB and doesn't "need" a truck per se but his family has a camp that he's been doing renovations on so he hauls tools and supplies to it and he can access it in the off-season and he tows occasionally. He lives downtown so he doesn't drive a ton either.

He's open to checking it out when his lease is up but no way will the Ridgeline be as cost-effective from a leasing standpoint and I suspect he'll end up in another F-150.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 11:18:15 am »
All along the Ridgeline ;) ...the answerver my friend is blowin in tha windlass..........

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 11:29:32 am »

Agreed.   But similar to the new Pilot, I just can't get behind the looks.   That bland, smushed front end does not inspire any thoughts of masculine design.   Which, IMO, I'd want in a truck.  Vain or not...

Tundra looks much better.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 01:28:51 pm »
I really like the new RL.  Now that the flying buttresses are gone, styling is fine.  And the functionality is still top-notch.

More than ever I'm gravitating towards the midsize truck class - especially RL and Coloranyon.  Right sized cabin, more than enough capability for most ppl, and the narrower width (and shorter height) appeals to me.  The 2500 is so awkward in comparison - a beast to get the kids in and/out of, rough riding, has little room in the back, such a fuel pig, etc. 

But damn can it tow 9000+ lbs of horse & gooseneck trailer!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 05:10:08 pm »
I really like the new RL.  Now that the flying buttresses are gone, styling is fine.  And the functionality is still top-notch.

More than ever I'm gravitating towards the midsize truck class - especially RL and Coloranyon.  Right sized cabin, more than enough capability for most ppl, and the narrower width (and shorter height) appeals to me.  The 2500 is so awkward in comparison - a beast to get the kids in and/out of, rough riding, has little room in the back, such a fuel pig, etc. 

My last work truck was a 2007 2500HD and it did haul well, and liked to swill gas for sure. It also had a small tank, so I was filling up almost daily, and often twice.  Great sounding engine though!  ;D

The seats were some of the worst I've ever sat on though, which made it uncomfortable as hell on a long trip.  :P

The flying buttress was the achillies heel of the last RL design for me, so nice to see that gone, and this one looks much better in the flesh.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:13:37 pm by KDS2K »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »

Holy $hit! Twice in a day!  Never done that.  Ya I know, I don't drive an HD truck....Or a tank!

My last work truck was a 2007 2500HD and it did haul well, and liked to swill gas for sure. It also had a small tank, so I was filling up almost daily, and often twice.  Great sounding engine though!  ;D

The seats were some of the worst I've ever sat on though, which made it uncomfortable as hell on a long trip.  :P

The flying buttress was the achillies heel of the last design for me, so nice to see that gone, and this one looks much better in the flesh.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »

Holy $hit! Twice in a day!  Never done that.  Ya I know, I don't drive an HD truck....Or a tank!

The flying buttress was the achillies heel of the last design for me, so nice to see that gone, and this one looks much better in the flesh.

Not hard to do when hauling 7000 lb trailer a few hundred kms and back the same day.