Author Topic: Any talk of a new Tundra  (Read 7604 times)

00PowderSpecial

Any talk of a new Tundra
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:39:34 am »
Any talk of a new Tundra anytime soon? Or a newer more fuel efficient engine coming out? Thinking of buying in the Spring, but will wait if theres something for '18.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Any talk of a new Tundra
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:22:03 am »
Isn't the current Tundra relatively new, like in the last two years?  I think at best you may see a slight facelift, but nothing majorly different.  I doubt they have any engine changes in the works either, engine development at Toyota doesn't really progress.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:22:18 pm »
Yeah, 2014. I wouldn't expect more than packaging changes anytime soon.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
The 2014 update was pretty minor in comparison to an all new platform. It was basically new body panels and an updated interior.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:38 pm »
It's supposed to be updated for 2018 as a 2017 model.  Diesel is (allegedly) coming too.  Though I'll believe that one when I see it.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:04:03 pm »
Essentially the Tundra has not changed since first introduction.  I've driven at least 12 since the 2007 entry.   Still no heated steering wheel and same rear axle seals.  ::)   Massive inventory shortage.  Unable to increase production in Texas.  Can't see any significant changes in the next few years.

Or a newer more fuel efficient engine coming out?

BTW, all "pickups" use lots of gas.  If $100. fills bother you, rethink purchase.  They all suck it and the Tundra really sucks it, but they have zero issues and resale is idiotic. 

Current ride is a Platinum Crew.

00PowderSpecial

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:09:31 am »
I'm a current Tacoma owner, and after 190k and a child it's time for the truck to grow which has me thinking of a 2017 Tundra in the spring. Will probably be a TRD off road Crewmax. I just wouldn't' want to buy a '17 if I knew a new model was coming for '18 as I could hold off for another year. From what I hear the fuel mileage was okay for 2008, but compared to other trucks now (Dodge eco diesel, chev 5.3, eco boost) it's probably the worse of the bunch. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me as I only drive 6-10k/year now vs 50-60k when I first bought the Tacoma. I'd much rather the reliability, quality, and resale of the Tundra vs everything else on the market.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 01:35:21 pm »
Essentially the Tundra has not changed since first introduction.  I've driven at least 12 since the 2007 entry.   Still no heated steering wheel and same rear axle seals.  ::)   Massive inventory shortage.  Unable to increase production in Texas.  Can't see any significant changes in the next few years.

BTW, all "pickups" use lots of gas.  If $100. fills bother you, rethink purchase.  They all suck it and the Tundra really sucks it, but they have zero issues and resale is idiotic. 

Between Indiana(130k) and Texas(200k) they had capacity for 330k trucks a year. The closest they came was 196k in 2007. It's been selling at 118k/year lately.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 05:37:15 pm »

Between Indiana(130k) and Texas(200k) they had capacity for 330k trucks a year. The closest they came was 196k in 2007. It's been selling at 118k/year lately.

It's only Texas.  Since 2008 or so.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 08:16:26 pm »
I'm a current Tacoma owner, and after 190k and a child it's time for the truck to grow which has me thinking of a 2017 Tundra in the spring. Will probably be a TRD off road Crewmax. I just wouldn't' want to buy a '17 if I knew a new model was coming for '18 as I could hold off for another year. From what I hear the fuel mileage was okay for 2008, but compared to other trucks now (Dodge eco diesel, chev 5.3, eco boost) it's probably the worse of the bunch. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me as I only drive 6-10k/year now vs 50-60k when I first bought the Tacoma. I'd much rather the reliability, quality, and resale of the Tundra vs everything else on the market.

There are no announcements or rumours about any significant changes.  Perhaps MY 2020.  These pickups today are BIG.  Chasing MPG is a fool's paradise.   If you're only driving 10K annually then old school low pressure fuel injection is exactly what you want.  Even though Toyota has the industry leading DS4 direct injection which will be coming to the Tundra eventually, you are better off in the long haul/potential servicing with a fuel rail delivering 54 psi than 2200. 

You'll find the CREWMAX extremely roomy.  The rear window disappears completely behind the rear seat.  Very cool.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:17:47 pm »

Still doing the Toyota HATE.   :rofl2:

:notroll:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »
As RR posted, it's being 7 YEARS since Indiana.  Honestly.  ::)

The Texas plant has always shared production between the Tundra and the Taco.

Visit any Toyota store and will become apparent that there is a serious shortage of Tundras and Tacos.

I'll let Automotive News rectify your most erroneous post.   :)

September 14, 2016 @ 8:00 pm

DALLAS -- Toyota will invest $150 million at its Tijuana, Mexico, assembly plant to increase output of the popular Tacoma pickup amid tight inventory that the company says has held back sales.

The expansion will bump capacity to about 160,000 units annually in late 2017 or early 2018, from just over 100,000 currently, the company said in a statement Wednesday.

The move comes at a time when the Tacoma’s dominance of the U.S. midsize pickup market -- which has grown 21 percent this year -- is being challenged by General Motors, which returned to the segment for the 2016 model year with its well-received Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Honda’s Ridgeline, too, is back in the market and selling briskly, and Nissan’s Frontier pickup is up nearly 45 percent this year. Ford plans a return with the Ranger as well.

Tacoma sales are up 4 percent this year through August, but its share of the midsize market has shrunk to 43 percent, from 51 percent a year earlier, amid the new competition. Toyota’s investment in capacity represents a bet that it can reclaim some of that share, and capture more of the segment’s growth, by increasing supply, even as the overall light-vehicle market begins to soften.

“Demand for trucks has grown exponentially,” Toyota Motor North America CEO Jim Lentz said in the statement. “By leveraging our manufacturing facilities’ availability and expertise, we can be nimbler and better adjust to market needs in a just-in-time manner.”

The Baja plant is currently stretched to its limit, having added a third shift in April 2015, executives at the plant said during a recent tour. The plant runs 24 hours a day Monday through Friday, plus two shifts on Saturday, then closes for maintenance.

Last year, Baja’s production was just over 82,000 trucks as the plant adjusted to the third shift and gradually increased output. Through August of this year, it has pumped out just over 63,000 units, according to Automotive News data.

Toyota is adding about 400 jobs in Baja, Mexico, to handle increased output of the Tacoma pickup.

The Tacoma is also produced at Toyota’s much bigger pickup plant in San Antonio, where it shares the assembly line with the full-size Tundra. San Antonio produced about 111,000 Tacomas in 2015 and 122,000 Tundras.

The Texas plant added a Saturday shift earlier this year to increase capacity to around 250,000 per year, according to David Crouch, vice president of administration and production control at the factory.

U.S. sales of the Tundra are off 7.7 percent this year through August, compared with a 2.8 percent rise for the full-size pickup segment overall. Crouch said supply is a big reason: Toyota dealers don’t have enough pickup inventory on the lot to tempt shoppers to buy.

“Obviously, one of the biggest challenges that we have for Tundra and Tacoma is we’re capacity-limited,” he told Automotive News in July. “We could sell a lot more trucks right now.”

The Baja plant is unique for Toyota in North America, since it operates around-the-clock, uses limited automation and began life in 2004 mostly to supply Tacoma truck beds to a now-closed assembly plant in California.

Toyota will add about 400 jobs in Baja to handle the new production, the company said.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 11:53:28 pm »

Still doing the Toyota HATE.   :rofl2:

:notroll:

What hate?

As I said, they had the capacity to build 330k Tundras, but it didn't sell as expected, topping out at under 200k in 2007, its best year. They shuffled around production accordingly.

There's more markup in a loaded Tundra than a loaded Tacoma. If they were selling better, they would have left production as it was, but it isn't.

Sales are down almost 8% YTD. Unless the factory shrunk 8%. Or something.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:56 am »

Sales are down almost 8% YTD. Unless the factory shrunk 8%. Or something.

Or unless they are at capacity because of hot selling Tacos?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:41 am »
As I said, they had the capacity to build 330k Tundras

In 2008!  ???   How informative and NO they never had that capacity NINE YEARS AGO.

You continually come into to Toyota threads and post CRAP.

There's more markup in a loaded Tundra than a loaded Tacoma. If they were selling better, they would have left production as it was, but it isn't

You have no clue what the profit is in either model.  Read the above mentioned article.  There is an acute shortage of Tacos and a shortage of Tundras.

Additional reading on the TACO:

September 12, 2016 @ 12:01 am

TIJUANA, Mexico -- On the eastern edge of gritty Tijuana, alongside barren hillsides and the road to Tecate, lies Toyota Motor Manufacturing de Baja California.

It’s a true outlier.

Unlike its counterpart pickup plant in Texas, it isn’t surrounded by supplier factories or outfitted with the latest technology. Almost all the key components have to be brought in from the U.S., other parts of Mexico or Japan, including engines, transmissions, plastics and stamped metal.

It doesn’t have a rail link, and while it’s just a few miles from the U.S. border, that crossing is open to semitrailers for just 12 hours a day for parts coming in and finished vehicles going out.

Yet the Tijuana plant must feed the voracious U.S. appetite for the Toyota Tacoma, a pickup so popular that it rarely spends more than a week or two on a dealership lot.

And so the plant now runs 24 hours a day on three shifts, managing a complex logistical dance that ultimately depends on keeping things as simple as possible.

The plant is what its executives proudly call a scrapper, punching above its weight and overcoming logistics challenges that are unique to a frontier outpost, far from traditional supplier bases and transportation corridors.

“Baja is the best-kept secret. It’s been very quiet, very humble,” said Mike Bafan, president of Toyota manufacturing in Baja and president of the Corolla plant under construction farther south in Guanajuato. “But it’s been getting better and better. It’s the little engine that could.”

The plant wins internal and external awards for vehicle quality and plant safety, Bafan said.

When it opened it 2004, Toyota Baja was essentially a parts supplier. It built 150,000 Tacoma truck beds a year for Toyota’s former joint-venture plant with General Motors in Fremont, Calif., and assembled 30,000 Tacomas on the side.

After Fremont’s closure in 2010 (it’s now Tesla Motors’ main factory), Baja increased production of fully assembled Tacomas to 56,000 in 2012, and continued to ramp up steadily year after year on strong demand for the pickup.

Last year, the plant went through a more radical change: the launch of the redesigned 2016 Tacoma and the implementation of a third shift. It now runs flat out Monday through Friday, and with two shifts on Saturday.

Bafan, who worked for GM for 22 years, said moving to a round-the-clock operation took some planning, such as altering the normal biweekly shift rotations to once a month after consulting with workers, and initially slowing down the line on the third shift.

“You’re limited in terms of tools, equipment, size of the plant,” said Bafan, “so where we are today is truly beyond my own imagination.”

The Baja plant now is on its way to making 105,000 units a year, having doubled capacity in three short years. Toyota workers get crucial help from a joint venture that handles incoming parts and delivers subassemblies on the factory floor. The joint venture accounts for about 700 of the plant’s 1,865 workers.

Tacoma production at the Baja plant has ramped up steadily year after year on strong demand. Photo credit: LAURENCE ILIFF

Out in front, a convoy of car carriers loaded with shiny pickups heads for the border crossing before its 6 p.m. shutdown to heavy cargo.

The limited border access “is probably the biggest challenge,” said Francisco Garcia, the plant’s amiable vice president of manufacturing.

Simplicity is key. Baja makes only the most popular model of the Tacoma — the crew cab — and only eight combinations of engines and transmissions.

On Tijuana’s tight production schedules, a lot of automation doesn’t solve problems. It causes them. So there’s very little of it.

“You really can’t do this successfully in a fully automated plant,” said Bafan. “More automation generates more maintenance, more [specialized] skills, and it’s difficult to maintain a consistent pace because machines break down.”

Garcia points out a few examples during a tour.

A robot that applies urethane to the windshield has a human backup. On any given shift, as many as three workers can apply the urethane using a manual device.

“Every Friday, we shut the robot down and let our team members practice,” Garcia said.

And while Baja does have welding robots for work that is ergonomically difficult, a significant amount of welding is done manually, punctuated by flying sparks and a smooth, dancelike flow of workers and welding guns to avoid stress and injury.

Baja is the essence of basic car building, Garcia says, and evidence that “simpler is better.”

“People have asked me, how long do you think you can keep this up?” said Bafan. “As long as there is demand for our trucks, we’ll do it.”

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 10:54:32 am »
Such a sensitive little flower.  :rofl2:

Toyota managed 391k trucks out of just Indiana and Texas for the 2007 model year. Total last year was 321k. The Tijuana plant only recently started making trucks for the US and Canada. So production should be higher than what they could provide back in 2007.

Either Toyota sucks with logistics, which I'd doubt, or demand for the Tundra is pretty flat.

Their target for the US in 2007 was 200k that year, which they missed by a bit:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-tundra-falls-short-of-2007-sales-goal.html

Their long term goal was 300k, but that was never really mentioned again as sales bounce around the 100-120k range.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 11:19:57 pm »
Toyota will never sell massive volumes of the Tundra. It's expensive and it's not embraced by the "no-furrin-vehicles" crowd. That said, I bet they make healthy profits from it.

As for engines, I think one of Toyotas best qualities is that they don't jump the gun on unproven technologies. No DI carbon woes with Toyota engines.

I'd buy a 4.7L Tundra without a care how many Kms are on it. That engine is one of the best engines ever installed in any vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 11:32:16 pm »
150k tacos where assembled in Fremont, CA till 2010 then to texas and mexico

Doesn't do the forum much good when you try and derail Toyota threads with a link from 2007 to somehow support your misinformation about production in year 2016.

Relevant info is found in the copied automotive news reports.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 11:38:29 pm »
Toyota will never sell massive volumes of the Tundra. It's expensive and it's not embraced by the "no-furrin-vehicles" crowd. That said, I bet they make healthy profits from it.

As for engines, I think one of Toyotas best qualities is that they don't jump the gun on unproven technologies. No DI carbon woes with Toyota engines.

I'd buy a 4.7L Tundra without a care how many Kms are on it. That engine is one of the best engines ever installed in any vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I like the "old" 3/4 sized Tundra.  It's likely Mid-size these days.  But with a V8 and fantastic build...it would be the truck I'd want. (Or a Ridgeline)

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 12:26:08 am »
In the US the Tundra is priced more competitively. IIRC what happened is they launched it into the teeth of the the recession, when all truck sales crashed big time.

IE F150 sales went off a cliff too:

All the Toyota management types that were on the fence about pickups anyway pulled production and development funding after that burn.