Author Topic: Product Review: Pioneer AVIC Z140-BH  (Read 9408 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: Pioneer AVIC Z140-BH
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:22 am »

The latest Pioneer AVIC puts smartphone functionality in your dashboard.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Product Review: Pioneer AVIC Z140-BH
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07:05 am »
The Pioneer AVIC is OEM in the STi Limited, but a different Pioneer model. Any ideas on how the two differ? There are mixed reviews re: the AVIC in the STi.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:59:21 am »
The Pioneer AVIC is OEM in the STi Limited, but a different Pioneer model. Any ideas on how the two differ? There are mixed reviews re: the AVIC in the STi.

Depends on your model year.

My 2011 Forester has the PIONEER NAVIGATION/AUDIO SYSTEM (AVIC U310BT)

Source:  See http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=16428&WebSiteID=282

As for the U310BT, I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone, nor would I ever pay for it, and nor will I buy back my Forester after the lease because I hate that damn thing (and I don't do after-market).  Ok, the 2014 Forester's fuel economy gain is probably the bigger drive to not buy-back my current Fozzie.

Back to the Pioneer systems - they have some interesting functions, but the U310BT Nav itself is AWFUL (wrong directions, slow input, no autocomplete suggestions, doesn't understand most addresses, etc).  If this one, or any of the other Pioneers are similar, I would steer clear.  I should hope that a name as big as Pioneer would fix those, and that'd explain why the 2012 models got a different unit.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:16 am »
$1000+ for a bloody headunit?!?!?!?!? Not unless I was building a showcar with 10,000watt stereo and 14 tv monitors does it make sense to pay that much for a headunit. My Galaxy S3 can do navigation, store songs, read text messages, write text messages via voice and I can get a head unit with bluetooth to connect to phone to it for about $500.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:03:32 am »
$1000+ for a bloody headunit?!?!?!?!? Not unless I was building a showcar with 10,000watt stereo and 14 tv monitors does it make sense to pay that much for a headunit. My Galaxy S3 can do navigation, store songs, read text messages, write text messages via voice and I can get a head unit with bluetooth to connect to phone to it for about $500.

You can spent $150 to $300 and get a single-DIN headunit too.  $1000 isn't extremely high considering what the manufacturers charge for their limited units.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:02 am »

You can spent $150 to $300 and get a single-DIN headunit too.  $1000 isn't extremely high considering what the manufacturers charge for their limited units.

I meant a double din head unit, yeah, single din, really cheap. Yeah, but Ive never heard of anyone re-installing a factory unit if it got stolen or failed.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 11:25:26 am »
Yeah, but Ive never heard of anyone re-installing a factory unit if it got stolen or failed.

I hate the head unit on my 2011 Forester so much that if I really hated the 2014 model and wanted to keep mine when the lease is up, I'd toss $1,000 to have a new, better, far less irritating head unit put in...that's really not so expensive to me, and smartphones really aren't a substitute for me - I like getting into my car and not having to pair my phone, wait for transfer, etc.  Call me old fashioned...

...however, since my anger is with the stock Pioneer system, I can't imagine why I'd switch it for another Pioneer system.

Offline fleeecy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »
Not loving the Future Shop ad. Did they pay for this?  ::)

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:03:01 pm »
have these stereo's in the SportChassis trucks we sell - find them very user friendly and customers have been very happy with them

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:53 pm »

Depends on your model year.

My 2011 Forester has the PIONEER NAVIGATION/AUDIO SYSTEM (AVIC U310BT)

Source:  See http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=16428&WebSiteID=282

As for the U310BT, I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone, nor would I ever pay for it, and nor will I buy back my Forester after the lease because I hate that damn thing (and I don't do after-market).  Ok, the 2014 Forester's fuel economy gain is probably the bigger drive to not buy-back my current Fozzie.

Back to the Pioneer systems - they have some interesting functions, but the U310BT Nav itself is AWFUL (wrong directions, slow input, no autocomplete suggestions, doesn't understand most addresses, etc).  If this one, or any of the other Pioneers are similar, I would steer clear.  I should hope that a name as big as Pioneer would fix those, and that'd explain why the 2012 models got a different unit.

I concur the head unit on the Forester is pretty bad. The nav can't seem to keep up with speed changes or direction changes particularly well. The interface on the unit leaves a lot to be desired - it's counter-intuitive. However, I'd contemplate a different aftermarket unit as opposed to going for a new Forester (which, by the way, the 2014 sounds like a decent one shy of the CVT).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:59:07 am »
I concur the head unit on the Forester is pretty bad. The nav can't seem to keep up with speed changes or direction changes particularly well. The interface on the unit leaves a lot to be desired - it's counter-intuitive. However, I'd contemplate a different aftermarket unit as opposed to going for a new Forester (which, by the way, the 2014 sounds like a decent one shy of the CVT).

I wasn't saying I don't like my Forester - I LOVE IT...I'm just saying that the 2014 Forester, with its improved fuel economy AND handling (especially now that the XT has suspension, chassis, and brake upgrades to suit the extra power), would be my choice before I pay the extra sum to buy out my lease and put another $1000+installation costs into an after-market head unit.

If, however, I were more financially challenged and I wanted to save the depreciation cash on it, I would put $1000 towards a new head unit to replace the U310BT, but would not consider another Pioneer because of how unhappy I am with this one.  What's the saying? 

"Burn me once, you're effed."  I think that's about right  :rofl:

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »

I wasn't saying I don't like my Forester - I LOVE IT...I'm just saying that the 2014 Forester, with its improved fuel economy AND handling (especially now that the XT has suspension, chassis, and brake upgrades to suit the extra power), would be my choice before I pay the extra sum to buy out my lease and put another $1000+installation costs into an after-market head unit.

If, however, I were more financially challenged and I wanted to save the depreciation cash on it, I would put $1000 towards a new head unit to replace the U310BT, but would not consider another Pioneer because of how unhappy I am with this one.  What's the saying? 

"Burn me once, you're effed."  I think that's about right  :rofl:

Agreed! I'll be test driving a 2014 for comparative purposes, but will hold off for a few years before moving to it. See how the CVT performs... If you get one, put down your 2 cents worth and let us know how it goes.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:28 pm »
back in my days of the industry, Alpine head units were always very good.

this looks to be Alpine's version (no idea on pricing details):

http://www.alpine.com/e/products/video/ina-w910.html?m=1
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:03 pm »
Agreed! I'll be test driving a 2014 for comparative purposes, but will hold off for a few years before moving to it. See how the CVT performs... If you get one, put down your 2 cents worth and let us know how it goes.

The new 'high torque' CVT in the XT has received rave reviews about being quiet, smooth, etc...and with the SI drive, can mimic the driving experience one wants (via simulated 6 or 8 ratios).  Since I live in Windsor (temporarily), I'm going to head out to Ferndale (just past Detroit - about 20 min drive) to test drive the 2014's this weekend - both versions.  I'll keep you posted.  I can't contain my excitement.

Offline KO7

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 02:33:17 pm »
No comments about the Navigation aspect of the Z140BH in the review? 

Offline caanda45

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
I do not understand why you guys would review a unit that is a year old and going to be replaced April 1/2013 with a brand new model.  It is the Avic Z150BH... boggles my mind, lets be a little current here.