Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2310492 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #4380 on: July 27, 2016, 07:33:44 pm »
Damn, looks like my laptop is on it's way out, it doesn't like this heat.

If I make it do anything, in about an hour  it overheats or something and blinks off.

Have you tried cleaning the vents with a can of compressed air?  Recently the fan in my laptop was becoming noisy and sometimes the laptop would shut down, presumably due to the heat.  I cleaned the vents and all's well again.

I did take off some covers and blow it out, seems to be running cooler now, hasn't shut down at least.

other tips might be:

of course make sure there is ample airflow space in and around the laptop [not on a bed etc.]

check in the power management and task manager to make sure the processor and graphics are not running flat out 100% of the time [this happens for a variety of reasons] - if so take steps to fix that in the software

you can buy cheap under-laptop coolers to help with the overheating issue - ncix.com or newegg.ca are my go-to places

do some software tests to make sure a bit of your hardware is not failing - that can also cause sudden shut downs [CPU. RAM, MB chipset, GFX, PSU, etc. can all be culprits]

best of luck with your problem sir
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4381 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:10 pm »
Every time I see a new BMW X1 or (when I was in Germany) the 2er Active Tourer, a little part of me inside just goes  :(
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #4382 on: July 27, 2016, 08:46:40 pm »
Every time I see a new BMW X1 or (when I was in Germany) the 2er Active Tourer, a little part of me inside just goes  :(

yep, very sad  :hurl:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4383 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:11 pm »
Sad for a company with a history of such excellence.....

For all that think I hate BMW, the E39 M5 is still on my bucket list
Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:22:02 pm by Fobroader »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: July 27, 2016, 10:17:32 pm »
^^WTF?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4385 on: July 27, 2016, 10:23:22 pm »
Sad for a company with a history of such excellence.....

For all that think I hate BMW, the E39 M5 is still on my bucket list
:iagree: E39 my all time favourite 5er (inkl. M5); and the E46 M3 is on my bucket list. I can afford one now, but not the upkeep   :shuffle:

Having a degree in Economics and also Accounting, I understand the need for companies to make money, to fund their R&D on nice cars- see Porsche. And also to please shareholders. I get it. But in aiming for market share, BMW's products the last decade have been various shades of *meh*, diluting the meaning of Fahrfreude to the point where yes, you can get a 216i Active Tourer with a 102PS, 3-cyl petrol motor with the M-sportpaket.

And now that I am seeing the X1 (same platform) popping up everywhere as just another 4-wheel blob, it saddens me to think that not too long ago, the same company made cars that were designed to be exciting to drive beyond just figures on a spreadsheet.

But hey, don't take it from me. Their engineers throw a blind eye to it too.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/steer-me-feel-me-exploring-why-bmws-no-longer-excel-in-steering-feel/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: July 27, 2016, 10:47:50 pm »
^^WTF?
Read the shirt....hahahah

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: July 27, 2016, 10:51:00 pm »
^^WTF?

I did.  I don't get it??

Is this some BMW lovers only joke?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: July 27, 2016, 10:54:21 pm »
^^WTF?

I did.  I don't get it??

They are 5 series headlights....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:03 pm »
^^WTF?

I did.  I don't get it??

They are 5 series headlights....

Yes. I figured that part out easily enough.

And??

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4390 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:09 pm »
Did the reverse crap out or was the lock switch flipped?  Strange that it would break so soon.

Reverse lock crapped out, switch does nothing now.  It worked quite well up to that point.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4391 on: July 30, 2016, 11:16:41 pm »
Things keep breaking!  >:(

I wake up this morning...an inch of water on the floor in the laundry area. Looks like it's coming from the washer (3 year old LG front loader); so I break out the tools and get the back cover off. Looking around with a light I can see the water leaking from the cold side main water valve. Fight and wrestle with the valve to get it out and validate that it's bad (corrosion all over the solenoids). Got a replacement from a local (ish) appliance place, reinstalled, cleaned up the water mess, etc....Killed the first half of my day. Washer is working fine now at least, and it only cost me $28 for the part.

Go outside to BBQ some lunch. BBQ won't light. Take that apart, clean the burner out (and everything else while I was at it) and reinstall...another 45 minutes killed. BBQ works well now.

Next I go to check the water in the hottub, jets are acting weird and the pump won't operate on full power. I spent another 45 minutes trying to diagnose without any luck....will post a separate thread to solicit some advice.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to touch stuff without it breaking!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4392 on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:03 am »

I wake up this morning...an inch of water on the floor in the laundry area. Looks like it's coming from the washer (3 year old LG front loader); so I break out the tools and get the back cover off. Looking around with a light I can see the water leaking from the cold side main water valve. Fight and wrestle with the valve to get it out and validate that it's bad (corrosion all over the solenoids). Got a replacement from a local (ish) appliance place, reinstalled, cleaned up the water mess, etc....Killed the first half of my day. Washer is working fine now at least, and it only cost me $28 for the part.

Go outside to BBQ some lunch. BBQ won't light. Take that apart, clean the burner out (and everything else while I was at it) and reinstall...another 45 minutes killed. BBQ works well now.

Next I go to check the water in the hottub, jets are acting weird and the pump won't operate on full power. I spent another 45 minutes trying to diagnose without any luck....will post a separate thread to solicit some advice.

Sounds like neglect around the house, due to too much time on monkeying around the dozen cars! Don't you clean your BBQ every year? And it's that old rule, things happen in 3's...  Best wishes for tomorrow!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #4393 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:26 pm »

Sounds like neglect around the house

Some of us actually go to work and have more things to do than hours in the day  ;)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4394 on: July 31, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »
Got  ride in my buddys mk6 golf r with apr tune. 

Now my 268 ft lbs torque feels week.....

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4395 on: July 31, 2016, 04:09:08 pm »
Got  ride in my buddys mk6 golf r with apr tune. 

Now my 268 ft lbs torque feels week.....
Get a Ram Ecodiesel 420 ft lbs  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 31, 2016, 05:37:52 pm »

Sounds like neglect around the house

Some of us actually go to work and have more things to do than hours in the day  ;)

driving around testers doesn't count! HAHA!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: August 01, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »

Sounds like neglect around the house, due to too much time on monkeying around the dozen cars! Don't you clean your BBQ every year? And it's that old rule, things happen in 3's...  Best wishes for tomorrow!
Thats kinda rude especially since none of the things he described were neglect type breakdowns. Hot tub and washer, those go without warning, BBQ, meh it happens, you get some crap in the burners or igniters.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: August 01, 2016, 01:01:47 pm »

Thats kinda rude especially since none of the things he described were neglect type breakdowns. Hot tub and washer, those go without warning, BBQ, meh it happens, you get some crap in the burners or igniters.

Firm, knows I was joking...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: August 01, 2016, 01:58:09 pm »
Spent 4 hours cleaning the Master Bedroom (dusting, polishing the furniture, vacuuming/mopping, cleaning the fan).  Wish I could spend that kinda time cleaning the Mazda (interior/exterior, including a wax with the porter cable polisher).