Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL  (Read 11632 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:26:06 am »

While the Ford delivers a practical and modern vehicle in the C-Max, fuel consumption and software glitches marred the experience.

Read More...

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:56:06 am »
Saw this car in Europe this summer... actually, they've been around for years over there but the most recent model is the best yet..

Here's a question for the brainiacs at Ford (can and USA) - Why in the world would they only release a hybrid???? I was considering this car for my wife until I learned that only the tree-hugging stupid model is being released here..

Hybrids suck and always will.  Give us your diesels Ford! Even the gas models would be a MUCH better option and cheaper by a long mile....

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:58:36 am »
Saw this car in Europe this summer... actually, they've been around for years over there but the most recent model is the best yet..

Here's a question for the brainiacs at Ford (can and USA) - Why in the world would they only release a hybrid???? I was considering this car for my wife until I learned that only the tree-hugging stupid model is being released here..

Hybrids suck and always will.  Give us your diesels Ford! Even the gas models would be a MUCH better option and cheaper by a long mile....

Have you seen the 2014 Rondo, its direct competition to the C-Max but a gas model, as well as the Mazda 5 and Chev Orlando.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:51 am »
Brutally short of its specified mileage figures.   In this weather in hilly snow country I'm getting around 5.4 to 5.6L/100km in my Prius.  Numbers are actually better in the big smoke.   The C-Max numbers in this review appear to be a good 50% higher although I'm sure the tester had low km and probably gnarly snows.

Ford is getting a lot of flak for its fuel efficiency claims on the C-Max.   Has anyone seen a review where the C-Max comes close to the advertizing claims?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:08:59 am »
Henry Ford I will turn inside his grave if he see C-Max - the worse idea for affordable mass transportation. Small, overpriced, never met promised gas mileage Euro extravaganza with just one purpose - together with Prius-V to create new niche for rising class "envirofriendly semicelebs"!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:38:56 am »
Did I miss the cargo volume dimensions? How does it compare with the Prius?

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:36 am »
Now THIS should be a sensible alternative to all the silly CUVs, with their lack of cargo space, marginal utility, etc. People can get the benefit of a higher seating position and easier ingress/egress.

I say should, because I agree they should scrap the hybrid if that's the best it can do. Or at the very least offer an alternative. I won't even mention diesel because that's a waste of time but why isn't an ecoboost option good enough here?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:11 am »
I say should, because I agree they should scrap the hybrid if that's the best it can do. Or at the very least offer an alternative. I won't even mention diesel because that's a waste of time but why isn't an ecoboost option good enough here?

Agreed - if Ford is so proud of its Ecoboost line-up, they should offer one in the Cmax too.  But here's another crazy thought - how about refining and improving the old-school large-displacement 4-bangers that should be powering a vehicle like this?  Like Honda's 2.4L, Nissan's QR25, or Mazda's Skyactive 2.5L?  But that wouldn't fit into Ford's new "high-tech" image...

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 12:00:59 pm »
I'm more interested in their new Transit Connect van, or the new Kia Rondo.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:26:47 pm »
Ford is doing a great job in many areas but the fuel numbers of this C-Max and most of the Ecoboost engined cars are beyond disappointing. Car and Driver has a new long term 189hp 6MT 2013 Accord that is beating the C-Max hybrid in fuel numbers. C&D isn't known for going easy on the gas pedal either. I know which one I'd prefer to drive.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:33:18 pm »
The C-Max numbers in this review appear to be a good 50% higher although I'm sure the tester had low km and probably gnarly snows.

...you mean 100% higher (or double).  50% higher from 4L/100km would be 6L/100km.

This isn't the only review online showing that the CMax's powertrain doesn't deliver - one review did dyno tests of both the CMax and the Prius and found that it didn't come anywhere close to 188hp.  see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8RYVjrb80o

The inherent problem with this vehicle is that even with an electric motor (typically torque-y), it only has 129ft-lbs of torque.  In the winter, electric motors tend to do less work in addition to other factors that make all vehicles less efficient in the cold, so that 2.0L is really working it to keep that tall body going (hence even the poor highway economy).  The 1.6L Turbo mated to the hybrid drive might have been a better idea, but that'd cost more.

Ford is playing an advertised numbers-game with this powertrain - those numbers will never be seen in real-world driving...ever.  A Ford representative even admitted it.  From that same youtube video, go to 6:40.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
The C-Max numbers in this review appear to be a good 50% higher although I'm sure the tester had low km and probably gnarly snows.

...you mean 100% higher (or double).  50% higher from 4L/100km would be 6L/100km.

This isn't the only review online showing that the CMax's powertrain doesn't deliver - one review did dyno tests of both the CMax and the Prius and found that it didn't come anywhere close to 188hp.  see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8RYVjrb80o

The inherent problem with this vehicle is that even with an electric motor (typically torque-y), it only has 129ft-lbs of torque.  In the winter, electric motors tend to do less work in addition to other factors that make all vehicles less efficient in the cold, so that 2.0L is really working it to keep that tall body going (hence even the poor highway economy).  The 1.6L Turbo mated to the hybrid drive might have been a better idea, but that'd cost more.

Ford is playing an advertised numbers-game with this powertrain - those numbers will never be seen in real-world driving...ever.  A Ford representative even admitted it.  From that same youtube video, go to 6:40.

Then this is a big sham.  Boo on Ford for this crap.  Bring on the diesels boys...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:00:06 pm »

Agreed - if Ford is so proud of its Ecoboost line-up, they should offer one in the Cmax too.  But here's another crazy thought - how about refining and improving the old-school large-displacement 4-bangers that should be powering a vehicle like this?  Like Honda's 2.4L, Nissan's QR25, or Mazda's Skyactive 2.5L?  But that wouldn't fit into Ford's new "high-tech" image...

Im with you on that, a nice 2L Ecoboost or a small turbodiesel would make a hell of a lot more sense than a hybrid powertrain. Load this up with a full complement of passengers and cargo on a mountain road, and the fuel mileage would go through the roof as that poor engine would just be a howling.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »
Now THIS should be a sensible alternative to all the silly CUVs, with their lack of cargo space, marginal utility, etc. People can get the benefit of a higher seating position and easier ingress/egress.

You must not have looked at the pictures. :)

Wow, this thing is UGLY! Looks like a Focus and Escape (that were brother and sister) hooked up and this monstrosity was the result. I'd take an Orlando or Rondo any day over this thing. Better still give me one of those "silly CUVs". At least they look good.

I think it was C&D that tested the Energi and basically gave it a failing grade. Fuel mileage was very close to this hybrid and I think the Energi is like 7-8k more? (US) There's lots of options out there at the 30-32k mark - and they ALL look waaaay better than this thing does. Hey how much was that Golf TDI again?!
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:44:46 pm »

I totally get your point.  While I'm not a great fan of hybrids, I would get the Prius over anything else out there if I was pressed to choose.  The reason being is that they've been at it the longest and had perfected their design.  The L/100km on this thing is ridiculous.  You can get around 5L/100km on the Golf TDI so why would I get this ridiculous contraption.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:51 pm »
The C-Max illustrates the point that you don't get power for free.  The Ford has about 40% more power than the Prius and gets correspondlingly less mileage.

The C-Max might be a nice package but the ads touting its performance AND better fuel efficiency are misrepresentative.

How fast will the C-Max go in pure ev mode?   Reason for the question is it should have done better in the city. 

Cheers,
John M.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:56 pm »
You can get around 5L/100km on the Golf TDI so why would I get this ridiculous contraption.

Only in one's diesel wunderland.  ::) :P

Fuelly.com:

2012 Golf TDI    ......   38.7   US mpg     (6.08 L/100km)
2013 C-Max ............   38.0   US mpg
2012 Camry Hybrid ..   38.4   US mpg
2012 Prius ...............   47.0   US mpg

Ford has a very long road to hoe with respect to their hybrids.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 11:02:43 pm »
The C-Max is a Prius V competitor, not the regular Prius.

Their ICE counterparts 5, Rondo, and Orlando average about 22-25 MPG. 38 MPG is a huge improvement.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 11:04:49 pm »

Their ICE counterparts 5, Rondo, and Orlando average about 22-25 MPG. 38 MPG is a huge improvement.

Prius V 41.7 US MPG (fuelly).
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 11:49:40 pm »

According to Ford.  :rofl2:   

The Prius V needs more power.  It is just not a pleasant drive.