Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris  (Read 16511 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:06:35 am »

The new Yaris is roomier and safer, but many of its competitors offer more standard features, says Grant Yoxon.

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:03 am »
Well Toyota totally pulled a "2012 Civic" on this vehicle makeover.  They didn't change the power train, didn't change the styling that much, and only really spent the minimum to get a vehicle that will make the Toyota lovers happy but do little to bring new customers in the door.  I'm sure that this is a solid vehicle just like the new Civic but it makes me say I want more.  I know both companies are capable of producing the best vehicles in the world but for some reason have no intentions of addressing the current competition coming out of Korea and North America.  I really hope the next generation Fit gets more improved than the current Civic because as it stands today it's still one of the best (but take away those magic chairs/seat then I'm not sure it's as appealing). 

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:11 am »
Well Toyota totally pulled a "2012 Civic" on this vehicle makeover.  They didn't change the power train, didn't change the styling that much, and only really spent the minimum to get a vehicle that will make the Toyota lovers happy but do little to bring new customers in the door.  I'm sure that this is a solid vehicle just like the new Civic but it makes me say I want more.  I know both companies are capable of producing the best vehicles in the world but for some reason have no intentions of addressing the current competition coming out of Korea and North America.  I really hope the next generation Fit gets more improved than the current Civic because as it stands today it's still one of the best (but take away those magic chairs/seat then I'm not sure it's as appealing). 

I agree JohnnyMac....ALOT more could of been done to keep up with the "Jones" and "Smiths" of the subcompacts.
And really....OUTSIDE manual adjusted mirrows?!?!?...at least my Echo has inside ones.
And still with a 4sd auto???.....for shame Toyota!   >:(

Have Car......Will Travel

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:39 am »
Wow a FAIL on so many levels. With cars in this class getting better in better dynamically and content wise Toyota simply tried to milk their brand name and reputation for reliability. They will still sell a bunch to seniors looking for a reliable little car. They aren't going to pull many future Camary or younger buyers in as first time Toyota buyers.

I also hate that they went with a single wiper. Not only do I find that the longish sweep doesn't clear as well but it forces you to buy expensive OEM replacement blades because nothing else is long enough to fit. Who wants to buy a cheap car only to have to buy $70 wiper blades 9or whatever they will cost)

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:50:51 am »
Toyota and Honda appear to be implementing a "drift-back" policy, a slow fade from the front of the pack to positions where they can make money given the radically different positions of the Japanese and Korean currencies.

I'm sure the Yaris is pretty nice but the externally adjusted mirrors and transmissions are not necessarily deal killers but a bit of a slap in the face to prospective buyers.

I question the lowering of the car as the taller position is handy to have.  15mm isn't much though.

One great thing - they've finally killed that stupid and indecipherable bar fuel gauge and gone with a conventional needle.

A smoother and more refined Yaris is welcome but doesn't assure a position at the front of the pack.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:18:57 am »
LOL at the externally adjusted mirrors!  I'd take an Accent or Fiesta over this any day.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:26:26 am »
Is this a joke?  In a time when subcompacts are becoming more and more like luxury cars with premium features, Toyota releases basically puts a new skin on a 5 year old car removes some content and calls it a day?

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:55 am »
Is this a joke?  In a time when subcompacts are becoming more and more like luxury cars with premium features, Toyota releases basically puts a new skin on a 5 year old car removes some content and calls it a day?

Well you can adjust the mirrors from outside to reduce cost so maybe next year they will let you start the car from outside and reduce the cost some more?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:45:31 am »
The wagon version available in Europe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/1712395252/

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:15 am »
They will still sell a bunch to seniors looking for a reliable little car. They aren't going to pull many future Camary or younger buyers in as first time Toyota buyers.

Agree with all previous posters.
But they will not sell any of them to senios unless they lie to them about the externally and manually adjusted mirrors. Seniors are less about dynamics and more about comfort, and I can't see a granny getting in and out of the car a few times while adjusting the mirrors.

And it's totally unacceptable in Canada with our colder climate. Power heated mirrors must be made mandatory on all cars sold here. It's a safety issue more than anything else.

Single blade wiper, 4-speed auto. Wonder what Toyota was thinking, if at all. Once they lose their market share, it will be extremely difficult for them to get it back given how aggressive the completition has become.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:42 am »

Just like Ford did with the Focus in 2008 (2009?) rather than give us the new euro-Focus......

Is the yen THAT strong that they have to decontent this badly to stay in at this price point?
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:28 am »
They will still sell a bunch to seniors looking for a reliable little car. They aren't going to pull many future Camary or younger buyers in as first time Toyota buyers.

But they will not sell any of them to senios unless they lie to them about the externally and manually adjusted mirrors. Seniors are less about dynamics and more about comfort, and I can't see a granny getting in and out of the car a few times while adjusting the mirrors.

And it's totally unacceptable in Canada with our colder climate. Power heated mirrors must be made mandatory on all cars sold here. It's a safety issue more than anything else.

Single blade wiper, 4-speed auto. Wonder what Toyota was thinking, if at all. Once they lose their market share, it will be extremely difficult for them to get it back given how aggressive the completition has become.

Yep, press a little too firmly on an iced up mirror in -10C temps will no doubt lead to a broken mirror.  

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:06:52 am »

agreed.  but heated mirrors, even though i have had them before, and still do on the both cars, we never use it.  in western mountain/prairie we don't get too much freezing rain(we've only ever had it once last winter), and mostly get dry powder.  just touch the snow pile on the mirror with your gloved hands and they are pretty much cleared.  so making it mandatory would be unfair to toyota.  making winter tire mandatory, that's different story.  :)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:10 am »
Come on, Toyota - one big oddity -the centre dashboard is replaced with several small oddities - most prominent is the so called "outside mirror adjustment"! And adding the games with lowest price, options and so on... This market policy is an arrogant approach to the customer.
Just reliability isn't enough to follow - yes Toyota - to follow the competition in the subcompact segment.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:48 am »

Yep, press a little too firmly on an iced up mirror in -10C temps will no doubt lead to a broken mirror.  

I've never had that problem. Maybe becuase I was taught common sense when I was a child?
Yet that was one of the main reasons I got rid of the Echo after the first winter. Inability to see while being the smallest car on the road didn't particularly give me or my wife that warm fuzzy feeling.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 10:22:25 am »

agreed.  but heated mirrors, even though i have had them before, and still do on the both cars, we never use it.  in western mountain/prairie we don't get too much freezing rain(we've only ever had it once last winter), and mostly get dry powder.  just touch the snow pile on the mirror with your gloved hands and they are pretty much cleared.  so making it mandatory would be unfair to toyota.  making winter tire mandatory, that's different story.  :)

I agree not everyone needs them, but I parked in an underground garage so any time its rains, snows or is cold I need the heated mirrors.  The second I drive into the parking garage all the windows and mirrors fog up.  It is awesome being able to turn on the rear defroster and get the rear window/mirrors defogged before backing into a parking space.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:15 am »
I agree not everyone needs them, but I parked in an underground garage so any time its rains, snows or is cold I need the heated mirrors.  The second I drive into the parking garage all the windows and mirrors fog up.  It is awesome being able to turn on the rear defroster and get the rear window/mirrors defogged before backing into a parking space.

Exactly. All past week and this morning, all glass surfaces were either frozen or completely fogged up.
Heated mirrors = I am on my way in 2 minutes after finishing my coffee at home.
No heated mirrors = scraping :o the glass (or smearing the fog) for ast least the same amount of time.

And I think there is more chance of physical damage when you scrape the glass surface of the mirrors and also apply uneven pressure doing it than by pressing the button and possibly overheating the motor. Don't force it if it's frozen solid. Turn on the heat, let it thaw, then adjust if required. Common sense?

I also wear a fairly light jacket even in winter. Being outside trying to scrape the mirrors in -30 with wind.... nah thanks!
Freezing rain? Keep the warmers on and you have a much better chance of keeping the mirrors clear than with no heat at all.
That's why I call it a safety feature and would make it mandatory on all cars sold in northern climates. I would absolutely categorically insist that this feature be installed in my wife's or my mother's next car.

When I buy my first "summer" car, like a convertible, I will be willing to overlook this feature, though it will probably come standard.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:31 am »
hmmm...while the base model is rather "archaic" in terms of features, i don't think it's as big of a deal as a few of you make it out to be...it is unlikely most people will buy the $14k model anyway, so all it does is allow Toyota to have that low advertised price (like other brands often do)...sure, perhaps other cars might not start quite as low, as they will likely have more content, but unfortunately, that's how marketing works...get them in the door with the low price, and move them up based on needs.

if you need a reliable, low cost car for the student or a second car for basic commuting, why not?...sure, there are other options out there, but it can't be all that bad, when compared like for like...the top trim SE model is $19k, and while there are likely other things i would personally choose over it, it is still likely attractive to some...let's keep in mind, there are plenty of people out there who will buy a brand simply on marketing/word of mouth or "i've always bought that brand" and they don't shop around...while the base model is pretty "base", most base models are anyway.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Thomas Chilton

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 11:15:58 am »
I don't see why anyone would actually give up their hard-earned money for a new 2012 Yaris, considering what else is available.  Looking at a final price with taxes, the new 2012 Kia Rio 5-door LX+ costs LESS than a 2012 Yaris LE with convenience package, AND still has necessary features for Canadian winters such as heated seats and variable intermittent wipers.  As has been said before, reliability only goes so far in a purchase decision, but if the car is so thoroughly de-contented compared to the competition, costs more than the competition, and gets worse gas mileage than the competition, then there's no contest. 

Also, thumbs down for not making features like cruise control, power windows, keyless entry, and power heated mirrors at least AVAILABLE on the 3-door.  I personally think the 3-door Yaris looks nicer than the 5-door, but the lack of availability of these basic features means I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 11:28:19 am »
..I'm seeing an AJAC win in 2012.........as the speedo has been removed from the trunk to in front of the "DRIVER"

wetting myself at 2 late crews CRANK pic.......... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once