Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Civic Si coupe  (Read 15256 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Honda Civic Si coupe
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:06:31 am »

A new engine with more torque makes the 2012 Civic Coupe Si a better everyday driver, says editor, Greg Wilson.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Civic Si coupe
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:52:58 am »
It's good to hear that at least the SI Civic model is still at the head of the class.  Despite this, I'd still like to see a top gear that gives revs of around 2k at 100km/hr.   Surely 5 gears for acceleration to 100 is enough to maximize grunt.

In the few times I've been in an SI, I was really impressed by the smoothness and tightness of every aspect of the car.

The new ones must be very slick indeed.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:23 am »
Despite this, I'd still like to see a top gear that gives revs of around 2k at 100km/hr.   Surely 5 gears for acceleration to 100 is enough to maximize grunt.

Agreed. 2,700 rpm at a steady 100 km/h in sixth gear?  Yikes, so well north of 3K at a very common cruising speed of 120.  You would think the larger-displacement, torquier engine would have allowed for a taller 6th gear.  I understand that kind of gearing in my wife's Fit - teeny motor and only 5 forward gears.  I don't get it here.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:40:09 am »
The GFs Fit with auto turns 2150 (best guess) at 100.   Surely the SI with probably 30% more torque could have that kind of ratio as well.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:27:19 am »
Honda seems to buck the trend of 4-cylinders going smaller displacement for better fuel economy: an increase in displacement AND increasing fuel economy.  Subaru, are you paying attention here?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:34:57 am »
The GFs Fit with auto turns 2150 (best guess) at 100.   Surely the SI with probably 30% more torque could have that kind of ratio as well.

Cheers,
John M.

The gearing on the auto Fit is much taller than on the manual verion.  Closer to 3k at 100 than 2k for sure.

Jaeger

richink

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:31 am »
As a current EP3 owner, PASS. What has made the Si cool over the years is how different it was from the regular models, especially when it could be had as a hatchback. This just looks like a slightly dressed up version of the base model cheapened further by the installation of the 2.4 pusher from the TSX. The previous K20A engine at either the 160 or 197 HP was/is absolutely not a dog in the city - mine happily chugs around in 5th gear at 60 clicks or so with great pick up. That last 1000 rpm between 7 & 8k  sounds unlike anything else on the road. 2700 rpm at 100 km/h in 6th is a joke, as others have pointed out that needs to be a taller gear, there is gobs of torque to handle it.

The "iVTEC" light flickering under use is plain cheezy. You have to be senseless or deaf not to notice that. Previous gen Si's and CSX's had a redline light. Far more usefull. I'd be in behind the dash the first day unplugging that sucker.

At 241,000 km's my EP3 will be due for replacement soon, I can say without a doubt another Civic is not on the list. Eventually turbocharged Veloster's will trounce this sled.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:23:49 am by richink »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
The Si is awesome, and there is a shiftlight it's very cool indeed I believe there are 4 LEDS that light up in sequence.  This car was my favourite at testfest but for some reason didn't win :(

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:08 am »
Seems to me this is just another example of Honda/Toyota having nothing new in their coffers to offer the North American consumer and borrowing from Peter (Acura) to give to Paul (Honda). How about something new and innovative coming out of Honda, at times it's hard to believe that this is the same company that brought us the NSX and VTEC.

Gloat all you want about the latest Civic Si but it's hardly new in light of the Koreans stepping up with DI engines, 6 Speed auto transmissions, turbos that function on regular fuel octane and completely new bodies to boot. Oh ya did I mention Hyundai/Kia packaging with only sunroof, bigger wheels and Nav as a secondary option, all else is included. I remember the days when a radio was an option on a Honda. Long live competition. :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:03:32 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:11:28 am »
I'm really torn on this car. I saw the sedan as maybe a replacement for the last version of the TSX. Samaller and lighter than the new version. Same engine and handling.  But not having driven one and hearing the reviews it sounds like its just not the highway long distance car a TSX was?

2700 rpm at 100 KPH? This is becoming a common pet peeve for me. Why do manufactures insist on ruining the highway quiet and fuel mileage when they have a 6 speed that people won't mind downshifting to pass. Why does this 2.4 need to rev as high (maybe even higher) than my 2 L 140 hp sentra?

richink

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:33:22 am »
Gloat all you want about the latest Civic Si but it's hardly new in light of the Koreans stepping up with DI engines, 6 Speed auto transmissions, turbos that function on regular fuel octane and completely new bodies to boot.

I remember the days when a radio was an option on a Honda. Long live competition.

:iagree:

Everyone loves a factory performance version of a car but there is absolutely nothing to gloat about on this new gen Civic. Honda has this horrible habit of siding with a degree of omnipotence at times.  The only thing trully unique about this car is the iVTEC but even that is old hat, everyone does it in some form nowadays.

I used to sell those things when they were radio-less among many other now "basic" items.

I maintain that Honda is in a heap of trouble in this segment when the turbocharged Veloster shows up.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:07 am »
NO NO NO!
Honda is going away from the roots - bigger motor, premium fuel, come on Honda, good engineering doesn't neccessarily means good concept in the name of your fan base! After Honda lost years to not listen to the customers, now Honda must learn from...Hyundai to follow it!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:59:39 am »
Gloat all you want about the latest Civic Si but it's hardly new in light of the Koreans stepping up with DI engines, 6 Speed auto transmissions, turbos that function on regular fuel octane and completely new bodies to boot.

I remember the days when a radio was an option on a Honda. Long live competition.

why am i hearing   VELOSTER every like where !!! ;) :drive: :shuffle:....... it's yer CIVIC DUTY to promote the BEST :rofl2:

Everyone loves a factory performance version of a car but there is absolutely nothing to gloat about on this new gen Civic. Honda has this horrible habit of siding with a degree of omnipotence at times.  The only thing trully unique about this car is the iVTEC but even that is old hat, everyone does it in some form nowadays.

I used to sell those things when they were radio-less among many other now "basic" items.

I maintain that Honda is in a heap of trouble in this segment when the turbocharged Veloster shows up.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

richink

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:04 am »

why am i hearing   VELOSTER every like where !!! ;) :drive: :shuffle:....... it's yer CIVIC DUTY to promote the BEST :rofl2:

Problem is that I own the BEST of the true Si/SiR versions so I can't keep my mouth shut on the issue. Everything else has been a retread of the '98 to '00 version. :banghead: :spam:

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
NO NO NO!
Honda is going away from the roots - bigger motor, premium fuel, come on Honda, good engineering doesn't neccessarily means good concept in the name of your fan base! After Honda lost years to not listen to the customers, now Honda must learn from...Hyundai to follow it!

Many sports sedans run on premium fuel. So did last year's Si. I just don't get it why people are so worried about it. My car requires premium and I even pay extra to get the best, sans-ethanol stuff.

I do believe that the predictions of Honda's demise are a little over-stated. The Civic is still the best seller in Canada and there are loads of them on the roads here.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »
It's a little ot but now that it's winter, most gas stations supply what they call winter blend. Essentially gas with ethanol. Where do u find alcohol free premium?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 12:49:00 pm »
It's a little ot but now that it's winter, most gas stations supply what they call winter blend. Essentially gas with ethanol. Where do u find alcohol free premium?

@ a Degrassi high Skool "BAR"........ :pimp: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 01:06:12 pm »

Shell

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »
The Si is awesome, and there is a shiftlight it's very cool indeed I believe there are 4 LEDS that light up in sequence.  This car was my favourite at testfest but for some reason didn't win :(

Because it is a drivers car  :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:38 pm »

Problem is that I own the BEST of the true Si/SiR versions so I can't keep my mouth shut on the issue. Everything else has been a retread of the '98 to '00 version. :banghead: :spam:

That's funny, because I owned a 1999 SiR and remember the uproar on all the Civic forums when the '01 was released.

The complaints then were basically the same as today: the new car is too soft; the new car has lost that special edge; the new engine may have more torque, but it lacks the character of the B16, ...

IMO, the only things the '01 had going for it were the hatchback practicality and the cool shifter location. In every other way it was a step backwards from the '00.

All IMHO, of course. Your mileage obviously varies.  :)