Author Topic: West coast Canada service for US-imported Subaru?  (Read 4792 times)

sandynw

West coast Canada service for US-imported Subaru?
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:40:07 pm »
Hi all,

We imported an '07 Subaru into BC last year from a Wash-state Subaru dealer.  All we've gotten is thumbed noses from a few Subaru dealers in the Vancouver area, for paid service work, like oil changes.  They refuse to even service the thing for "non-warranty" work.

Now, it looks like we may need some other work done, and we'd like to get the work done by a Subaru dealer.

Has anyone had any experience in getting an imported-from-the-US Subie serviced at a Lower Mainland Subaru dealer?

Thanks.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: West coast Canada service for US-imported Subaru?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:45 pm »
They refuse to even service the thing for "non-warranty" work.

In all honesty, I'm shocked by that.  Dealers make WAY more money from their service departments than they do the showroom.  This is a severe case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Sorry I can't be of help, perhaps a Subie indie could be of help?

Traum

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »
Honestly, I don't understand this either. I'm totally ok with them not helping you out in any warranty-related work at all. Afterall, the car doesn't have a Canadian warranty. But to turn you away for any paid service work is absurd. Of course, they have the right to not service your vehicle. But still, it doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

I know a local Ducati dealer does this to bikers as well, and from what I read about the incident, the dealer was quite rude to the owner for not buying Canadian as well.

Were the dealerships at least polite in turning you away?

-Lik

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »
But to turn you away for any paid service work is absurd. Of course, they have the right to not service your vehicle. But still, it doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

Unless they are already running at full capacity. I know it's a similar situation right now trying to get a Ford motorhome chassis serviced in Alberta. Most service depts are running at capacity and don't need the parking and storage headaches so they just refuse to service them at all.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Traum

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:24:37 pm »
But to turn you away for any paid service work is absurd. Of course, they have the right to not service your vehicle. But still, it doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

Unless they are already running at full capacity.

Yes, of course. And with only 3 Subie dealerships (that I know of) here in Vancouver, their service department may well be at capacity. But I know that at least with the Richmond dealership, they have recently (within the last several years?) expanded and split up their Subaru division from the Suzuki division into separate dealerships. So technically, their servicing capacity should have doubled.

So it's still a little odd that the customer gets turned away for having a US car. ::)

-Lik

dorin

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:24 pm »
How do they even know it's a US car?

Traum

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:36:07 pm »

Speedometer in mph is a dead giveaway.

They can probably tell by the VIN as well, can't they?

-Lik

vdk

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:52:28 pm »
Only 3 Subaru dealerships in Vancouver?  ???

I guess you could always go to the States to get your service and warranty work done... kinda sad though...

mar1990

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:07:02 pm »
Most service depts are running at capacity and don't need the parking and storage headaches so they just refuse to service them at all.

If thats the case, then an explanation should have been provided to the customer.  That would go a long way for not pissing off a potential future customer.  And not in a "We are so busy that *WE* don't need your business" type of way either.

edit: Corrected typo
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:07:04 am by mar1990 »

dorin

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:09 pm »

Speedometer in mph is a dead giveaway.

They can probably tell by the VIN as well, can't they?

-Lik

But either one entails them taking the car in.  I've never given anyone (dealership or independent garage) my VIN when making an appointment and they'd only get to see the speedometer once they started to work on the car.

Traum

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:46:55 pm »
But either one entails them taking the car in.  I've never given anyone (dealership or independent garage) my VIN when making an appointment and they'd only get to see the speedometer once they started to work on the car.

True. I suppose Sandy might have volunteered the information that it's a US spec car to the dealership?

It would be a really ugly situation if the dealership takes the car in, and then refuses service strictly because the car is US spec.

-Lik

ghost

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:54 am »
I know of many Lower Mainlanders who bought Subies from US. Perhaps you may want to visit the Vancouver Subie club over at NASIOC for some pointers. I even brought by Saab 92x to Wolfe Subaru for servicing. No problem whatsoever despite it is not an official Subaru WRX.

sandynw

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:21:44 pm »
Thanks for all your responses. 

Yes there are painfully few Subaru dealers here; kind of too bad, being as they have -- I think  -- an excellent product to market to begin with. 

As soon as they run the VIN, they can determine that it's US-bought.  But, OTOH, although it is not illegal to import a US-purchased vehicle, we do feel as if we we have been bad little doggies who pooped in the living room, and are having our little noses rubbed in it! :-)

I am tempted to give it another few attempts, but I have to say, it really is a goofy way to do business.  I had hoped that perhaps other Vancouver-area folks had some insights.  We'll go check the Vancouver Subie club too.

Interesting that there was a large write-up in Vancouver Sun yesterday about the continuing disparity in consumer price levels between the US and Canada, noting goods from CDs to cars, with offsets of 15-30% not being uncommon.

Sandy

mar1990

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 05:01:39 pm »
i would be writing to the subaru head office in canada.  this is very short sited approach to service and i am sure the head office would not be pleased with all of this stupidity.

I don't think Subaru Canada would give a hoot.  After all, the OP didn't buy one of their products.  They bought a Subaru USA car.   I'm sure the Canadian office applied whatever pressure they could to stop cross border shopping, and this could be one of their tactics. Having said that, I doubt that they would meddle in how a dealer runs their service shop either.

dorin

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:41:36 pm »
As soon as they run the VIN, they can determine that it's US-bought.

Are you telling us that you've made a service appointment, dropped the car off, and then they refused to service it?  That would be really bad and Subaru Canada might care.

Otherwise can't you just not tell them the VIN when you make an appointment?

Offline pickles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 10:16:57 am »
I have 2 subies from Maine.  Here is the thing my 07 subie the warranty is fully covered in Canada.  This is for all 07's DEALERS SHOULD NOT BE ASKING FOR PAYMENT.  My 08 subie is payment for warranty work in Canada and then submit the bill to Subie of America and they send you a check back.  This is for all 08's warranty work is REIMBURSEMENT.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:26:37 am by pickles »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 08:56:27 pm »
It is my experience that Subaru dealers seem destined to shoot themselves in the foot at every chance they get.  Subaru City in the west of Edmonton recently moved.  One major problem at their old location was no parking.  Yes, imagine that.  People are arriving here in CARS?  Well, it looks like they must have blown $8-10M or more on the new locale.  Stopped by, and guess what?  No frikin' parking.  Then, people were leaving their cars in the driving aisles, just like at the old location.  Not only was there no parking, but you ended up backing up out onto the road, just as before.