Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited  (Read 31492 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

With modern styling and amenities, Chevrolet and Toyota hope their large sedans will appeal to a more youthful market, but have they forsaken their biggest (and oldest) fans in the process?

Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Starting to see Impalas out there, she's a beauty.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
The more things change, the more they stay the same:

" At first glance the Impala looks fairly fetching with its leather seats and soft-touch materials throughout. Closer inspection reveals some strange and alarming discoveries. Contrasting stitching from the seat leather is a common contemporary touch, but when two adjacent surfaces feature different colours of stitching as seen in the Impala’s armrest versus seat, it simply looks like cost cutting or carelessness on the designer’s part.

Panel fitment in the Impala’s interior was a bit of a concern on our test car. The dashboard aligns a centimeter or two higher where it meets the driver’s door, but the same measure lower where it meets the passenger door
."

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

" At first glance the Impala looks fairly fetching with its leather seats and soft-touch materials throughout. Closer inspection reveals some strange and alarming discoveries. Contrasting stitching from the seat leather is a common contemporary touch, but when two adjacent surfaces feature different colours of stitching as seen in the Impala’s armrest versus seat, it simply looks like cost cutting or carelessness on the designer’s part.

Panel fitment in the Impala’s interior was a bit of a concern on our test car. The dashboard aligns a centimeter or two higher where it meets the driver’s door, but the same measure lower where it meets the passenger door
."

Some things never change. The dash in my 07 Cadillac SRX was installed off center. (jammed up against the driver's side A pillar so hard the trim was crushed and with a 3/8's- 1/2 inch gap on the passenger side)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
some things do never change - but at least it doesnt look like a wound weeping puss - the Toyota. God its terrible to look at - no flair, no soul, no style whatsoever. Even gandpa would kick it off his lawn...

The Impala looks fantastic and is 100000% better than it used to be. Give it another year to sort out the minor issues, and it will be the pick of the crop.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
Drove the new Impala at a fleet ride and drive event - very impressed. I thought the overall styling (in and out) was very nice. The engine had lots of get up. Overall nice package

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile

."

Some things never change. The dash in my 07 Cadillac SRX was installed off center. (jammed up against the driver's side A pillar so hard the trim was crushed and with a 3/8's- 1/2 inch gap on the passenger side)

And all that is exactly what keeps me away from the brand. With such glaring QC omissions, who knows what else is out of spec or misaligned that doesn't meet the eye. Do I wnat to take the risk? Hell no. I'll go with the known quantity.
The Impala may be a good used buy in a couple of years when it's worth 10k.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
The Impala wins the beauty contest but that that will wear off if and when the quality issues pop up. Consumers Reports has it rated high but time will tell if it can match Toyota for residual value and relabulity.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Yeah. Consumer Reports had the Imp as its highest rated large car by a sizeable margin. Maybe the one here was a pre-production or very early production example.

Sedans this size are a niche product these days, but at least Chev has something competitive.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Rated high but no big red recommended check mark  :)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:07:00 am »

New model, so no check mark for this model year until they get some data.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:31 am »
some things do never change - but at least it doesnt look like a wound weeping puss - the Toyota. God its terrible to look at - no flair, no soul, no style whatsoever. Even gandpa would kick it off his lawn...

The Impala looks fantastic and is 100000% better than it used to be. Give it another year to sort out the minor issues, and it will be the pick of the crop.

Not biased at all...

The Avalon has something to help it sell - the ES350.  Since they're similar in many respects, some buyers who wish to forego the added expense of having a Lexus badge will pick up an Avalon.  It's my opinion that the Avalon breaches the bounds of the "large sedan" niche because of its cousin, whereas the Impala is simply seen as a giant boat of a car.

In the US, both of these will sell well.  In Canada, CUVs are all the rage with the desired demographic for these boats.  Since many more cars are sold in the US, I don't think Canadians will really sway the sales numbers.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:26 am »

Many Toyota's get the big red check mark in the first year of a new model. The Rav4 has one  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:52:43 am »

I agree with you on the looks department, not really liking the front end on the Avalon. As you say when and if the Impala got the fit and finish problems out of the way it could be a very nice vehicle to own. Reliability aside, the Avalon just doesn't scream buy me to this person.

They dont scream "buy me" to a lot of people, I guess we dont have a large population of pensioners around here because I havent seen that many Avalons, new or used. As for the Impala, Im sure its a really nice, soft, highway cruiser, the kind of car you rent...sorry, buy, to do many miles down interstates.
Lighten up Francis.....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:55:00 am »

Many Toyota's get the big red check mark in the first year of a new model. The Rav4 has one  :)

At least a couple were pulled, then given back eventually. One was for the Camry, one for the Tundra IIRC.

But yeah, CR usually gives Toyota the benefit of the doubt. So if they rank the Impala higher than the Avalon from their favourite son, there has to be something to it. We'll see how the reliability shakes out over time.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 11:00:44 am »

Not biased at all...

The Avalon has something to help it sell - the ES350.  Since they're similar in many respects, some buyers who wish to forego the added expense of having a Lexus badge will pick up an Avalon.  It's my opinion that the Avalon breaches the bounds of the "large sedan" niche because of its cousin, whereas the Impala is simply seen as a giant boat of a car.

In the US, both of these will sell well.  In Canada, CUVs are all the rage with the desired demographic for these boats.  Since many more cars are sold in the US, I don't think Canadians will really sway the sales numbers.
have you looked at either car in the flesh? I dont know how you could come to another conclusion about their looks. So what you are saying the best thing about the Toyota is it is associated with a vehicle it is not? Seems obtuse...

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 11:14:53 am »
I've seen a few Impalas now and they do look pretty good but I'd prefer the Avalon for build quality, refinement, comfort, durability (if only perceived) and resale.

The Avalon is for old middle class money while the Impala is for the nouveau middle class. I don't think many Impala buyers have heard of the Avalon.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:49 am »
Some perspective on the full size segment.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:45 am »
My brother picked up a new Taurus and I checked it out while he was visiting. I also rented one this year and I must say out of all the domestic full sized cars I have driven it was by far the best. I'm will look to rent a new Impala next to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline TerryB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, Mazda MX5, Mazda3, Mercury Villager, Nissan Altima, Acura Integra (x4)
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:26 am »
I think you should add the Hyundai Genesis to the list of competitors.