Author Topic: Housing  (Read 926498 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Housing
« Reply #620 on: December 24, 2015, 02:05:57 pm »
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16425493/6248-COUNTY-ROAD-4-OTHER-TAMWORTH-Ontario-K0K3G0

Interesting property for sale near me.
That is  a lot of coin for in the middle of nowhere

That's exactly why I'd pay more for it!  Beautiful property!

It's only relatively in the boonies, it's 20 minutes from the 401, about 45 to downtown Kingston.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #621 on: December 24, 2015, 02:15:10 pm »
But does it have high speed internet? Like at least 50Mb/s.  I bet not although it is not actually impossible that a Bell Fibre line doesn't run past the front gate.

It states it does not have city water nor city sewage. Probably assists the ground source with electricity and I am sure there would be no natural gas.

6  bathrooms...I wonder if you can get a cleaning lady out there especially in winter?    Pizza delivery?  Cold pizza only.   You'd need 1 car per driver and a tractor with a plow.

Not for me.   That place is in the deep boonies.

Seriously.  I am more and more surprised as years go buy that the real estate industry has not caught up to specifying Internet speed and ISP as important things for houses...especially houses that are not inside a cities limits.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:23:06 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #622 on: December 24, 2015, 02:21:23 pm »
But does it have high speed internet? Like at least 50Mb/s.  I bet not although it is not actually impossible that a Bell Fibre line doesn't run past the front gate.

It states it does not have city water nor city sewage. Probably assists the ground source with electricity and I am sure there would be no natural gas.

6  bathrooms...I wonder if you can get a cleaning lady out there especially in winter?    Pizza delivery?  Cold pizza only.

Not for me.
Bell Internet in the boonies lol
In Cobourg it is up to 5 mbs , need cable for higher speed

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #623 on: December 24, 2015, 02:24:58 pm »

6  bathrooms...I wonder if you can get a cleaning lady out there especially in winter?    Pizza delivery?  Cold pizza only.

Not for me.

That is my point Mark,  5Mb/s can just barely do Netflix if nothing else is happening...no kids playing online games etc. Even governments feel that 20Mb/s is the low end for high speed nowadays.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 24, 2015, 02:44:53 pm »
Google the address
http://www.spindletree.ca/main.html
I think you the paying for the name
Location wise , to pay that much for that area , and you are not even on a lake is crazy

again 2MM seems reasonable for what you are getting: a beautiful house with amazing grounds and 100 acres! I am in...but I am 24 years away from retirement LOL

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #625 on: December 24, 2015, 04:05:30 pm »
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16425493/6248-COUNTY-ROAD-4-OTHER-TAMWORTH-Ontario-K0K3G0

Interesting property for sale near me.
That is  a lot of coin for in the middle of nowhere

That's exactly why I'd pay more for it!  Beautiful property!

It's only relatively in the boonies, it's 20 minutes from the 401, about 45 to downtown Kingston.
We have friends that are 20 mins from the 401, I think that is in the boonies
Good thing people have different wants or we would all be driving black model Ts lol

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #626 on: December 24, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »

Not for me.

That is my point Mark,  5Mb/s can just barely do Netflix if nothing else is happening...no kids playing online games etc. Even governments feel that 20Mb/s is the low end for high speed nowadays.

I'm a bit further in the boonies of the area and I get Bell Fibe10.   
As for not having city water and sewer, mostly that's just 2 bills you don't have to pay every month.  It's not a bug, it's a feature. 
No natural gas, but propane is probably cheaper now.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #627 on: December 24, 2015, 05:28:39 pm »
 ::) ???  swamp GAS...... :P :drool: :fall: ...and I suppose ANTI_SEPTIC too....pump me up buttercup :flowers:

stained glass too :o 8) :-* :-\
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:35:10 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #628 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:03 am »
I guess i should have put this in here instead of the tweet thread...

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has been a general contractor for over 30 years and last time we talked he was telling me he was retiring in a few months after wrapping the few projects he had on the go at the time.  That was about a year ago and today he was telling about the new major project he took on for this coming spring.  When I asked him what happened to retirement he told me he was approached by a former client that was planning an addition to the summer vacation home he built for them years ago and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. :) 

The original home is very high-end and octagonal in shape and he said it was a real PITA to build.  The new project is another complex octagonal shape dwelling to be attached to the original by a glass walkway and he really didn't want to take the project on at all.  It is located on Grand Manan Island, which can only be reached by a 2 hour ferry ride from mainland NB, or by private airplane, which makes it a bit of a logistical nightmare especially for this type of project.   

He was approached by the original architect on behalf of the client and he flat out told him he wasn't interested, but they (a very wealthy US couple) were insistent that he be the builder.  After some wrangling back and forth he relented, but put in a ridiculously high bid thinking they would just go to some other builder.  They accepted his bid!  He said he couldn't believe they accepted.  The client actually sent up an interior decorator by private plane from NYC to meet with him to discuss the details just last week.  She told him his price was in line with what it would cost in the NYC area.   :o ::) :P

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #629 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:54 am »

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has been a general contractor for over 30 years and last time we talked he was telling me he was retiring in a few months after wrapping the few projects he had on the go at the time.  That was about a year ago and today he was telling about the new major project he took on for this coming spring.  When I asked him what happened to retirement he told me he was approached by a former client that was planning an addition to the summer vacation home he built for them years ago and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. :) 

The original home is very high-end and octagonal in shape and he said it was a real PITA to build.  The new project is another complex octagonal shape dwelling to be attached to the original by a glass walkway and he really didn't want to take the project on at all.  It is located on Grand Manan Island, which can only be reached by a 2 hour ferry ride from mainland NB, or by private airplane, which makes it a bit of a logistical nightmare especially for this type of project.   

He was approached by the original architect on behalf of the client and he flat out told him he wasn't interested, but they (a very wealthy US couple) were insistent that he be the builder.  After some wrangling back and forth he relented, but put in a ridiculously high bid thinking they would just go to some other builder.  They accepted his bid!  He said he couldn't believe they accepted.  The client actually sent up an interior decorator by private plane from NYC to meet with him to discuss the details just last week.  She told him his price was in line with what it would cost in the NYC area.   :o ::) :P

WOW - guess his retirement nest egg just grew a bit more  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #630 on: February 11, 2016, 10:54:06 am »

WOW - guess his retirement nest egg just grew a bit more  ;D

That's for sure!  I had  coffee with the guy this morning and laughed abut it some more. He's built some very nice places in his day and lots of stories to tell.   :)

The place I'm staying at for a couple of days is incredible for a vacation home. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:58:28 am by KDS2K »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #631 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:53 am »
Nice place, though I confess to not being a fan of sloped walls.  Depending upon the angle, they can really intrude into a room.

Doesn't look like you will hit your head in that room.  :-)

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #632 on: February 11, 2016, 02:14:50 pm »
There were 6 of us that moved to Regina at roughly the same time from Fredericton and Halifax. Whenever we'd have a get-together we'd all end up in the kitchen. The locals thought it a bit odd. But they got used to it.  ;D

I remember this.  The Sask peeps would be sitting on the couch in the living room.  Weirdos.  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #633 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:36 pm »
Nice place, though I confess to not being a fan of sloped walls.  Depending upon the angle, they can really intrude into a room.

Doesn't look like you will hit your head in that room.  :-)

as long as you use the bed properly that is....
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #634 on: February 13, 2016, 04:53:24 pm »
So a buddy of mine's wife is an interior designer who did the design for a spec house in a high-end neighbourhood here in town. The house is currently framed and the listing for it just went up. A woman building another house down the street saw the listing and called the realtor and/or builder to complain that the house was too similar to her own and that they needed to change the design.  :rofl2:

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #635 on: February 13, 2016, 05:09:16 pm »
Oh my. Some people. Out of curiosity, which neighbourhood?

It'd be hilarious if this was on a where the houses are basically the same (behind IBM off bishop there's one street that comes to mind

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 14, 2016, 11:40:17 am »
Oh my. Some people. Out of curiosity, which neighbourhood?

It'd be hilarious if this was on a where the houses are basically the same (behind IBM off bishop there's one street that comes to mind

Still Water, off of Woodstock.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #637 on: February 14, 2016, 12:38:44 pm »
So a buddy of mine's wife is an interior designer who did the design for a spec house in a high-end neighbourhood here in town. The house is currently framed and the listing for it just went up. A woman building another house down the street saw the listing and called the realtor and/or builder to complain that the house was too similar to her own and that they needed to change the design.  :rofl2:

How's it not a good thing? mr. molotov should pay a visit perhaps.  ::)

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2016, 11:56:04 am »

How's it not a good thing? mr. molotov should pay a visit perhaps.  ::)

The houses are only "similar" because they are more contemporary than most new housing around here, they are both dark grey with black trim, and they have hipped roofs. The actual massing and details are quite different.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #639 on: February 15, 2016, 02:07:47 pm »

My my my.  Isn't she the special one?   ::)  Some people need to be taken down a peg or two.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"