Author Topic: Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread  (Read 73400 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2015, 05:34:15 pm »
Did order a new armored mesh jacket though:

Educate me.  What is armoured mesh?   ???

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2015, 07:01:38 pm »
Sort of like this with a mesh cover:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:31 am »
Giving up on my Keen hikers as they have fallen apart already (second pair). The funny thing is I own the original Keen sandals that are still in top condition and I've put them through everything including a flash flood. These hikers haven't been through much and fall apart after 3-6 months of use. Very disappointed.

So I just picked up a pair of Salwea Firetail EVO GTX for $120.

A best-seller from SALEWA: The flexibility and cushioning of a trail runner with the grip and precision of an alpine approach shoe. Its sole, developed together with VIBRAMŽ, has the lightness and push-off flexibility typical of a trail running shoe with its EVA midsole. But that combines with durability and shock absorption in the heel from PU cushioning. Extended lacing enables exacting fit customization and precision movements on technically challenging terrain. The Gore-Tex Extended Comfort lining is waterproof as well as breathable.

http://www.salewa.com/en/firetail-evo-gore-tex-shoes-men.html?color=9440
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:02:06 pm by quadzilla »

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2015, 01:15:01 pm »
Keen's quality & fit have changed (downgrade) in the past few years.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »
Sort of like this with a mesh cover:

Ah, je vois.  Not something I'll ever need, but looks pretty hardcore!   8)

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2015, 06:02:57 pm »
Giving up on my Keen hikers as they have fallen apart already (second pair). The funny thing is I own the original Keen sandals that are still in top condition and I've put them through everything including a flash flood. These hikers haven't been through much and fall apart after 3-6 months of use. Very disappointed.

So I just picked up a pair of Salwea Firetail EVO GTX for $120.

A best-seller from SALEWA: The flexibility and cushioning of a trail runner with the grip and precision of an alpine approach shoe. Its sole, developed together with VIBRAMŽ, has the lightness and push-off flexibility typical of a trail running shoe with its EVA midsole. But that combines with durability and shock absorption in the heel from PU cushioning. Extended lacing enables exacting fit customization and precision movements on technically challenging terrain. The Gore-Tex Extended Comfort lining is waterproof as well as breathable.

http://www.salewa.com/en/firetail-evo-gore-tex-shoes-men.html?color=9440

I can put you in touch with the Keen Canada marketing manager.  Know her well from when they'd have Bruce Trail photography challenges; my friends and I always ended up at the top of the heap, and our photos always made it to exhibition day.  Not sure if it's a problem she can solve, but she may have some insight, and your feedback may generate much-needed changes to their quality management system.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2015, 08:25:56 am »
I can put you in touch with the Keen Canada marketing manager.  Know her well from when they'd have Bruce Trail photography challenges; my friends and I always ended up at the top of the heap, and our photos always made it to exhibition day.  Not sure if it's a problem she can solve, but she may have some insight, and your feedback may generate much-needed changes to their quality management system.

Thanks and good to know. First I'll just try the regular channels. The funny thing is I don't even care if they replace them as I don't want another pair of the same shoes. I know I'm hard on my hikers but two pairs in one year is not because of me.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »
Snooping around through Atmosphere while I was waiting for the gf at the mall, ended up buying two pair of MSR Evo Ascend's for half price:

Not so easy finding snow any more, but now is a good time to buy for next year. Could have got the regular Evo's for a little cheaper, but these have the heel lift and a more secure strapping system.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2015, 03:28:37 pm »
Ordered these GoreTex pants for rain events.  I have some GTX OR pants that fit this function, but I HATE the granny-style elastic waistband, so I avoid using them.  The Arc'teryx have a different adjustment feature, which looks fairly simple: elastic at the back, with hooks and loops to loosen or tighten, and flat at the front.  They also zip right down from the waist, and up from the cuffs.  Me likey, and I liked the price even more.

Alpha SL:

Came home today to find the dog sitting beside (guarding  :)) a sealed yellow bag from Lole.  It's the third time in the last month that has happened. Last one was from The Last Hunt and LL Bean before that. Funny girl!   ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:17 pm »
Came home today to find the dog sitting beside (guarding  :)) a sealed yellow bag from Lole.  It's the third time in the last month that has happened. Last one was from The Last Hunt and LL Bean before that. Funny girl!   ;D
[/quote]

Are you insinuating that I have enabling the activity that you have observed?    :D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »

Are you insinuating that I have enabling the activity that you have observed?    :D
[/quote]

Haha!  It's just funny the way it gets played out every time.  She never mentions placing any order, although I always know something is coming when her credit card is sitting next to her ipad.  The package just shows up and I almost always bring it in the house and drop it in the entrance-way, then she comes home takes it away and nothing gets said, or acknowledged.  Then a day, or so later she will come out wearing her new garb with a sheepish look on her face and I just start laughing.  :rofl:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 09:11:27 pm »
Haha!  It's just funny the way it gets played out every time.  She never mentions placing any order, although I always know something is coming when her credit card is sitting next to her ipad.  The package just shows up and I almost always bring it in the house and drop it in the entrance-way, then she comes home takes it away and nothing gets said, or acknowledged.  Then a day, or so later she will come out wearing her new garb with a sheepish look on her face and I just start laughing.  :rofl:

:rofl2:  Good prices for great gear are my kryptonite.  Glad you guys are still using The Last Hunt!  I hope they stick around for a long time. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2015, 11:36:31 am »
My daughter got Black Diamond Shiva ski boots for $210 from Liveoutthere.  $210 on sale from $700!!  Crazy!  She needed some uber-burly boots and these are perfect as they have swappable soles so they can be used in both backcountry and resort skis.  For those that might poo-poo 110 flex boots (vs 130) remember she's 110lbs so for her there's no difference.  Super bonus for her?  Pink buckles!!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2015, 03:17:23 pm »
Anyone in Toronto go to the MEC swap yesterday?

My buddy's brother went at 10pm the night before, slept on the sidewalk, got ticket #3 (first wave), ran in and bought a 4-season 2-person tent for $100, rock climbing shoes for $4, a $1,300 kayak for $90, a 4-season sleeping bag for $30, and a ton of clothing.  Total bill was under $400 with tax.  Insane.  He said everything he got was 'near new', mostly open-box returns.

:drool:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »
While all those 'deals' sound amazing they really don't mean anything without actually brand names, models and age of the product. Just say'n.

IE: You can get a brand new 4 season 2 person tent for just over $300 today. So a 4-5 year old tent should only sell for $100.

Otherwise :thumbup:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:53 pm »
Within the outdoor community, we often sell stuff to friends before the swap.  A lot of great gear never makes it there.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:46 pm »
Within the outdoor community, we often sell stuff to friends before the swap.  A lot of great gear never makes it there.

Very true. A friend of ours was heading to South America and didn't have any nice outdoor clothes but the Mrs was about to purge the clothes she didn't wear anymore. We told the friend you can give us $10/item or take the entire bag (large garbage bag worth) for $100. She made the right decision and scored some great cloths and many still looked like new.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2015, 08:55:10 pm »
Picked up a pair of these AKU hikers today at my favorite outfitter store in Fredericton.  I prefer a full leather boot and was actually leaning toward the Asolo GTXs and the store rep turned me onto these instead.  They recently took on this line after they dropped Vasque due to poor customer service. These things seem to be really well put together and what I like most is that they are fully lined with a comfy glove like leather, which is unusual at this price point.   They are also made in Italy which is surprising since they were a little cheaper than the Chinese-made Asolo and Merrells. 

My wife wanted a pair also, but none in her size as usual.  The guy said he would place an order for hers and will be in within the next two weeks. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:01:32 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2015, 07:45:36 am »
Oh, those look beefy!  Very nice.  I wish I could find a pair of leathers that don't make me sweat, as once they've molded to your foot, leathers are awesome.  How much?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:58 am »
Oh, those look beefy!  Very nice.  I wish I could find a pair of leathers that don't make me sweat, as once they've molded to your foot, leathers are awesome.  How much?

They were $229 + tax.  I went on a 5km hike last evening to try them out and they feel like a custom fit.  :) The Asolos I was looking at were $259.

We both bought a pair of Blundstones a couple of weeks ago as well.  Mine are replacements for my 10 yr old pair and the first ones for her and she loves them!