Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe XL  (Read 17666 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:30:49 am »

For 2013, Hyundai relaunches their large, mid-size seven-passenger SUV under the Santa Fe XL badge with the usual Hyundai content and value.

Read More...

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:21 am »
I own a Veracruz. This is no Veracruz replacement for me. Much less cargo and narrower inside. Also sits much lower. Sure, it's more refined in that the design is newer etc. but it'a not a larger midsize vehicle that I like.

I hope they come out with a Genesis type SUV of similar size to the Vercruz or I'll be looking elsewhere in a couple of years.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:32:39 am »
Hyundai is making some of the same mistakes it made with the Veracruz: some options offered by the competition are missing at the new model introduction (never a good thing) and packaging the Navigation system in the highest trim is quite passé.

Their saving grace will be design and pricing; it is good looking and priced a few ticks under the competition for some who can live with the trim levels. If you don't need the 3rd row seat and want the V6, the 2014 Kia Sorrento is a better offering IMO.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:12:28 am »
As in all of this type of vehicles I'd like to see a "3rd row delete" option. I wouldn't mind the extra cargo space but would prefer the weight savings,lower/ flat load floor and under floor storage compartments this would provide.
I also think we should be approaching the day when Nav is a stand alone option offered on all but the base trim.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:42 am »
Much better looking vehicle. I think the new Nissan Pathfinder is Santa Fe's biggest competition.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:58 am »
As in all of this type of vehicles I'd like to see a "3rd row delete" option. I wouldn't mind the extra cargo space but would prefer the weight savings,lower/ flat load floor and under floor storage compartments this would provide.

Agreed!
and also because the 7-seater is the only V6 option now.

I've never understood 7-seater mid-size SUVs.   With all seats occupied there is virtually no cargo space left.   I know this came about because people didn't want a mini van any more but some of the new vans are pretty good looking (for a van).
I've never liked vans but after a weekend trip to a indoor bike park, hauling 4 adults, weekend gear and 4 bikes all inside safe from the elements, i appreciated the van!!! 

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:28 am »

Agreed!
and also because the 7-seater is the only V6 option now.

I've never understood 7-seater mid-size SUVs.   With all seats occupied there is virtually no cargo space left.   I know this came about because people didn't want a mini van any more but some of the new vans are pretty good looking (for a van).
I've never liked vans but after a weekend trip to a indoor bike park, hauling 4 adults, weekend gear and 4 bikes all inside safe from the elements, i appreciated the van!!!

I guess the idea is people OR cargo, not people AND cargo  ;)  There's always the option of a rooftop carrier, which is a hassle but it works well. Certainly vans are built to maximize space and they make the most sense. They're pretty luxurious these days, a guy I used to work with had a Toyota Sienna Limited and it was like a limo inside...even had AWD! Now that would be funny - FWD 7-seater SUV getting out-tractioned by an AWD minivan!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:58 am »
Good first drive.  The base model seems pretty loaded for only $30k, if I was shopping for a vehicle like this, I could settle for the base.  I don't need to spend $5k for AWD, heated steering wheel/seats, power liftgate, upgraded stereo.  Not even a backup camera until $40k!  I would just spend $500 on backup sensors.

Nice to have the option in the second row of 40/20/40, and 50/50.  I have always preferred 50/50. 

I think there maybe a small typo under the fuel economy of the AWD, it shows 9.0 as the average, and the FWD shows 9.9.   

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:42:43 am »
For this latest incarnation of the Santa Fe, does Hyundai Canada still insist on 6,000km service intervals ?  ::)

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,71793.0.html

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 11:56:49 am »
"The 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is targeted to two customer groups: those who are in their forties, married with two to four children, self-employed or at management level..."
...that really need a sedan or a minivan but try to pose as being cool or outdoorsy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »
"The 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is targeted to two customer groups: those who are in their forties, married with two to four children, self-employed or at management level..."
...that really need a sedan or a minivan but try to pose as being cool or outdoorsy.

Cool and outdoorsy....in a Sante Fe??  :rofl: Thats like, check out my Camry, its got a spoiler, everyone will think I have attended the Gumball Rally every year......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:12 pm »

Cool and outdoorsy....in a Sante Fe??  :rofl: Thats like, check out my Camry, its got a spoiler, everyone will think I have attended the Gumball Rally every year......

True, true... :rofl:
Last time when I was at Toyota dealership the salesmen was trying to sell/advertise to me the Camry SE as a sports sedan  ;D

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:45:56 pm »
Just my opinion, this is the "middle income 40-ish hockey mom" sweet spot.  This is the vehicle that comes after "I have lugged the kids around to daycare in a minivan"-type for 5 years, I want something better.

Perfect combo of kids or clutter option and as the rear seat folds down it can be a bit of both just in case.

I would love to see a comparo of this class, which could well represent alot of the market, as there are a ton at the hockey rink. My guess would be $38-42k in price, have AWD (moms' think its safer in winter) and have 7 seats. No Rondos and no Orlandos. Make it Kia Sorento, Hyundai Sante Fe XL, GMC Acadia and Dodge Journey.  They are all about the same in length, except for maybe the GMC. Get to work Jonathan, as this review seems a bit generic.

I have the Kia, but certainly compared it to the Dodge and am happy with the choice so far.

I'm surprised no blind spot detection as it is on the Kia Sorento cousin for 2014 and that they could eke out 5,000 lb tow limit.

Otherwise this seems a pretty nice vehicle that does it all, no its not a $20,000 diesel manual with selectrac that gets 70 mile to the gallon.

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 02:49:50 pm »
I was waiting for this vehicle, but it took to long, got a Dodge minivan, at the end I think I made the better choice.  As other comments, loaded /w people, but no where to put stuff, not very useful, and the Pathfinder, way nicer I think anyway.

my 2¢'s I guess or should it be my 5¢'s.  Because 0¢ makes no ¢'s :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 06:02:35 pm »
I was waiting for this vehicle, but it took to long, got a Dodge minivan, at the end I think I made the better choice.  As other comments, loaded /w people, but no where to put stuff, not very useful, and the Pathfinder, way nicer I think anyway.

my 2¢'s I guess or should it be my 5¢'s.  Because 0¢ makes no ¢'s :)

Vans are way more convenient, especially if your using baby seats!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:15 pm »

I would love to see a comparo of this class, which could well represent a lot of the market, as there are a ton at the hockey rink. My guess would be $38-42k in price, have AWD (moms' think its safer in winter) and have 7 seats. No Rondos and no Orlandos. Make it Kia Sorento, Hyundai Sante Fe XL, GMC Acadia and Dodge Journey.  They are all about the same in length, except for maybe the GMC. Get to work Jonathan, as this review seems a bit generic.

I'm on it. Working on a long-term Santa Fe XL, and once that's in our hands, Pathfinder, Acadia, CX-9, Highlander, Journey here we come! Hopefully we can get trims that are competitively priced, but that's always a crap shoot...

And we here at Autos.ca like our First Drives to cover all the packages, trims and pricing, so there's no getting around that parts will feel like a press release - there is just no way to make an options list sound like anything but an options list. I'll have plenty of time ramble on poetically in a long-term review....
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dewey9315

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 12:03:19 am »
I'd say the Chevrolet Traverse is more of direct competitor than the Acadia. The Chev's pricing is more in line with the Hyundai.

I'd wager there's very little difference in cargo capacity if you had a minivan with 7 people and their luggage compared to a CUV.....that's MY 2 cents!

Offline yhbae

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 01:52:14 am »
This is near perfect car for someone like me - a couple in their 40s with 2 teenagers. We have a light travel trailer that Santa Fe can pull easily, and also carry 2 or 3 of kids' friends occasionally. Minivan won't do because of their tow limits. Physically, its not too big - not like Traverse or Explorer.

Highlander used to be by #1 choice followed by Pilot, but I think I'm going to like this better than both. Can't wait to check this one out!

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 03:16:04 am »
 Two weeks ago, I bought an AWD Santa Fe Sport (short WB version of this vehicle). It seems , once again, you guys are getting shafted North of the border...For a drive it out price of just over 30 grand, I have a totally loaded, leather, nav, power seats(both), panoramic sunroof, Infinity radio,back-up camera, etc...Tan leather, two tone interior that is marvelous....I just arrived down here in Myrtle Beach this evening...850 miles today, and I got 30.2 MPG...averaging between 65 and 75 MPH...Amazing...the car had 650 miles on it...so unbroken in...Smooth, quiet and somewhat gutless (not really too bad. 2.4 liter with 190 HP)...This is one lovely car...Jack

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 07:05:38 am »
Another very nice effort here from Hyundai.  We only but one child, but with the reality of car pooling a vehicle like this is very appealing.  If I could haul 6 kids around, I'd only have to do the ballet run once a week, which would have a major impact on my quality of life.

Wish we could get this motor in a sedan - Hyundai should bring the Azera to Canada.

As an aside - my aunt just bought a Santa Fe sport to replace her 10 year old Chrysler minivan.  She can't stop raving about it.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.