Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:28:58 am »

You must be this short to ride.

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:07:32 am »
Mark, you owned the best generation of Civic ever.  Subsequent generations have lost the magic.

I too find the space an issue in many new compacts versus their older versions.  Take for example the 3.  Adjusting the drivers seat for my height (6'), I can't sit behind myself where I could in my old Protégé with ease.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:50:00 am »
First:

As I sat in the driver’s seat with the height adjuster as far down as possible, my cranium made constant contact with the headliner, leaving me only one way I could drive this car. It wasn’t pretty.

Gangsta lean, engage!

Uncomfortable, and in a slightly bad mood about it, this week was not my favourite. If there’s one thing that drives me crazy, it’s being forced into a position that feels unnatural while driving. However, it does give an explanation as to why so many young male Civic drivers choose this pose.
I see you've been learning from Mr. Black - or you, too, have a good sense of humour.  Either way, I must commend you on excellent writing, Mark!  It's things like ^^^ that are informative and keep we, the readers, entertained and yearning for more.  I arrive at work 45 mins early so I can read up on my daily autos.ca (and to cut my commute in half due to less traffic), and I appreciate when there's some good comedy.  Thanks!

Second:
I, too, consistently root for the Civic.  It really checks a lot of the right boxes.  Still, I couldn't bring myself to buy one, opting instead for the Corolla (in 2010, at least).  I agree that there's a lot to like (especially size, which I think is perfect), but I'm sure the Sedan has more headroom than the coupe.  The Civic seems to have stood still while others have surpassed it in so many ways - and the funny thing is that Honda has made update (2012) after update (2013), and then added a CVT for efficiency (2014), yet we're still not satisfied.  One has to ask why the best-selling compact garners only 2.5 stars (when the Corolla, of all cars, garnered 4 stars from Simon http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2014-toyota-corolla-s-2/3/).

It's becoming readily apparent that not only does styling matter, but no longer is it acceptable to be...acceptable/resting on laurels, etc.  Honda has the potential to be a great manufacturer - look at how the Acura brand has been revived from falling so far behind.  The Civic has become too quirky for its own good, but I don't think it'd take much to make it a best seller again.

Positive attributes:
1) Value - it's priced VERY well.
2) Packaging - very fair.
3) Size - it's actually a compact, yet has decent legroom in the rear and decent cargo space (sedan, at least).
4) Perceived reliability (despite being built in Ontario).

But it needs:
1) An updated engine (especially if using a CVT, a low-torque engine isn't helping Honda's case)
2) Some sort of 'wow'.  Corolla has those LEDs that draw in so many, for e.g., Mazda has the 'zoom zoom', Elantra has...I dunno, I never understood why that car sold so well, etc.

Really good job by Honda, but almost seems a little lazy.  I had a professor in university that often said:

"If you do the minimum, you will get the minimum."   Very good words to live by.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:12 am »
Agree with NoTo.  Honda has to step up their game.  The Accord and Odyssey are at the top of their respective classes.  It's time for the rest of their line up to follow suit.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:12:03 am »
Agree with NoTo.  Honda has to step up their game.  The Accord and Odyssey are at the top of their respective classes.  It's time for the rest of their line up to follow suit.

I'd beg to differ. Mazda6 beats the Accord in my eyes. And, as far as the Odyssey is concerned, the value equation doesn't add up when you can grab a Grand Caravan for $19,999, no matter how good the Honda is.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:35:02 am »

I'd beg to differ. Mazda6 beats the Accord in my eyes. And, as far as the Odyssey is concerned, the value equation doesn't add up when you can grab a Grand Caravan for $19,999, no matter how good the Honda is.

Oh I agree that the 6 is the top dog, but the Accord is up there.  Most comparisons have these two at the top.  As far as the Odyssey goes, if you are looking at a rubber mat special, sure you can't beat the GC.  Once you start looking at higher trims, it's tough to beat especially with incentives at play.  And really, you have to look at the T&C when comparing top trims.

I'd really like to see how many CVPs they sell.  The CVP doesn't have stow n go seats.  I bet the volume seller is probably a mid level.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:37:32 am by mixmanmash »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:27 am »
i think accord ranked 4th in many of the midsized comparo's i've read lately that include all the big guns... so very competitive, but not a standout anymore.

add the higher insurance costs and this car really doesn't work for the intended audience anymore. at least the initial cost has dropped in line with the competition, but that still will make it one of the higher costs to own after all is said and done... all for a car that is decent... in most categories.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:58 am »
I agree on Mazda 6 for sure but not on the GC.  No matter how cheap it is, it's not the best van.  I mean the previous gen Chrysler 200 was the cheapest in its class, the most powerful, but no one said it's better than Mazda 6 for example. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:08:45 am »
We can agree to disagree on the Mazda6 vs Accord (as preferences do, indeed, differ - I hate everything about the Mazda6, down to its whiny and dulling transmission (I don't consider MTs since I won't buy one) and claustrophobia-inducing styling), but I can't accept your "value equation" for the Grand Caravan.  Sure, $20k is a steal for pretty much any car - for the same price as a Corolla, you can get a V6 and a TON of cargo/passenger space!  ...but the purchase price simply isn't the only metric, and the true-cost-to-own (5 year ownership costs) shows the differences:

http://www.cars.com/dodge/grand-caravan/2014/costofownership
($41,771)
vs

http://www.cars.com/honda/odyssey/2014/costofownership
($43,952)

...and the Sienna fits squarely in between

http://www.cars.com/toyota/sienna/2014/costofownership/

So, sure, the Odyssey is more expensive, but it starts $13,000 more than the GC yet costs less than $3,000 more after 5 years.

Note that the GC doesn't even offering leasing - sign on the dotted line and you're stuck with the thing, massive depreciation and all.

I don't want to detract from the Civic here - it is a great offering, but the competition doesn't sit still while Honda has been.  A company with such deep R&D capability should be able to produce an unbeatable car - so why has Hyundai/Kia/Mazda etc been able to produce better cars?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:21 am »
unless you are equating the cost of ownership based on what YOU can buy the car for and what YOU can sell it for, the "true" cost of ownership is hooey. it's not tough to do. it will show some similarities to what you posted, but it won't be as obvious a choice.

that being said, i also agree that being the cheapest does not make it the best by any means. even the best value doesn't equate to the best.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 12:06:06 pm »
i also agree that being the cheapest does not make it the best by any means. even the best value doesn't equate to the best.
That was my sole point to make.  It was only to attack Mark's assertion that the Odyssey lacks value compared to the $19,999 Grand Caravan.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »
More action here than for the recent Civic Touring review!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I had that very same Touring for a week, and 6' me had enough headroom below the sunroof, although I admit the left edge of the sunroof rim was in real close proximity to my head and bumps meant hitting it. In the sedan (longer wheelbase), plenty of room to sit "behind myself", and both the rear bench and front buckets are Volvo-comfy.

As an ex-Civic owner, we usually never like the generation that followed our pride and joy. The 1996-2000 car did nothing for me, looked boring and too square inside and out (I had a 1995, last year of the 1992-1995 "no grille" generation). The '88-'91 car was probably the best Civic ever for driving (slow car fast and all that).

My next Honda was a 2003 Odyssey, which I kept 10 years and still got 7k$ out of it. A friend had a loaded domestic van, more expensive than my Ody at the time, and basically sold it for scrap value after 10 years, even though it had less mileage than my pristine Ody. A new GC that compared to my 2012 Ody EX was only 5-6k$ less, and would have burned much more fuel in the coming years.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 12:50:30 pm »
They should really do something like this, Civics used to be a fun compact, now by the sounds of it, its more Corolla than hot hatch.

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:47 pm »
Wow! Having three double stars and two triples this is the worst car I have been seeing! Considering this is the Canadian's champ's sister car I'm confused...Aren't your rates too personal?

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 02:10:28 pm »
Wow! Having three double stars and two triples this is the worst car I have been seeing! Considering this is the Canadian's champ's sister car I'm confused...Aren't your rates too personal?
I think it is a strange point to judge a car by sales numbers. Yes, Civic is a sales champ. So is Dodge Grand Caravan in its category. Do you consider Dodge GC rating too personal?
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:37 pm »
We can agree to disagree on the Mazda6 vs Accord (as preferences do, indeed, differ - I hate everything about the Mazda6, down to its whiny and dulling transmission (I don't consider MTs since I won't buy one) and claustrophobia-inducing styling), but I can't accept your "value equation" for the Grand Caravan.  Sure, $20k is a steal for pretty much any car - for the same price as a Corolla, you can get a V6 and a TON of cargo/passenger space!  ...but the purchase price simply isn't the only metric, and the true-cost-to-own (5 year ownership costs) shows the differences:

http://www.cars.com/dodge/grand-caravan/2014/costofownership
($41,771)
vs

http://www.cars.com/honda/odyssey/2014/costofownership
($43,952)

...and the Sienna fits squarely in between

http://www.cars.com/toyota/sienna/2014/costofownership/

So, sure, the Odyssey is more expensive, but it starts $13,000 more than the GC yet costs less than $3,000 more after 5 years.

Note that the GC doesn't even offering leasing - sign on the dotted line and you're stuck with the thing, massive depreciation and all.

I don't want to detract from the Civic here - it is a great offering, but the competition doesn't sit still while Honda has been.  A company with such deep R&D capability should be able to produce an unbeatable car - so why has Hyundai/Kia/Mazda etc been able to produce better cars?
I was looking at the numbers for ownership and they sure could be true for US but not for Canada. Just at a quick glance GC is almost 1K$ more in US than in Canada. Also fuel economy I cannot really trust. If you check fueleconomy.gov you will see pretty similar numbers.
Besides nobody pays MSRP. We pay taxes on top of MSRP and in Ontarion they are 13%. Than will bring the price difference after tax of more than 15k$. Not 13k$ as stated by you.  So all this adds and the real cost of ownership can easily be more than 5k$ for Odyssey for 5 years.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »
I think it is a strange point to judge a car by sales numbers. Yes, Civic is a sales champ. So is Dodge Grand Caravan in its category. Do you consider Dodge GC rating too personal?
You are absolutely right! But Dodge is CHEAPEST in its class! Honda is one of most expensive in its class. What confuse me again is they share rates of double/triple stars! I didn't get it, especially when the same Honda with four doors has higher star numbers!

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 07:14:32 pm »

You are absolutely right! But Dodge is CHEAPEST in its class! Honda is one of most expensive in its class. What confuse me again is they share rates of double/triple stars! I didn't get it, especially when the same Honda with four doors has higher star numbers!

I can sit in a Civic sedan without constantly hitting my head, for starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »
Being not starter, I just wanted from the very first post today to say that ratings of the four door Civic (even 2006) are in average 4.5 stars and yours for newest  coupe are almost TWO TIMES lower. Doesn't make sense...looks like the ratings are quite subjective without clear reference point. Period.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 10:04:43 pm »
Being not starter, I just wanted from the very first post today to say that ratings of the four door Civic (even 2006) are in average 4.5 stars and yours for newest  coupe are almost TWO TIMES lower. Doesn't make sense...looks like the ratings are quite subjective without clear reference point. Period.

Not to be too obvious, but of course the ratings are subjective. However, each rating is based on the reviewers' experience in most, if not all the cars in the segment, so it is a well informed subjective rating,though it is not a direct comparison between cars, and different reviewers could have equally valid yet completely different ratings of the same car.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman