Author Topic: Road Trip: 2015 Nissan Micra SR, Calgary to Vancouver  (Read 10189 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Road Trip: 2015 Nissan Micra SR, Calgary to Vancouver
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:28:43 am »

Enough is enough.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Road Trip: 2015 Nissan Micra SR, Calgary to Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:00:30 am »
With 6.5 L/100 km it "competes" with bigger cars on the highway...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:26:02 am »
So I'm confused Nissan early purveyors of CVT transmissions decide to throw a four-speed automatic transmission in this car which would ideally lend itself to a CVT.
Is this a cost issue ? How much more would a currently designed and in production CVT cost over a 4Spd  ?
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Corners

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:03 am »
Fully agreed on Highway 5A Kamloops to Merritt...one of the best roads in BC...beautiful scenery, lots of curves, no traffic to speak of and only 10 minutes longer than going the Coquihalla...don't let the secret out!!

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:11:12 am »
I think Nissan has very much succeeded in the strategy used with this vehicle. Keep promoting the $9998 and they'll get buyers to the showroom and reviewers to be graciously generous (what do you expect for $9998?). It's actually a $15000-18000 vehicle decently equipped (over $18000 in the review). Many better choices out there, UNLESS you pick up a manual base. Then you're laughing all the way to the bank and at resale time.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:38 am »
   Well we bought an all dressed one. Won't be driving that much longer and for once we got the loaded. We got the red. Have not seen another on the road around here yet. Anyway, the stats for the engine are identical to the previous model Accent and that car had enough power, in a heavier body; so I had no qualms about that aspect. As stated in the report 'enough' is the word here. It's a great looking little car IMO and you quickly make acquaintances with folk who you don't know. Who cast admiring glances and make comments about it. Everything has gone fine thus far and as for Mexican assembly...well, not a rattle and I seem to remember new expensive car experiences on here not being so sublime.
   Personally I think there might be an advantage in the 15" wheels on the SV. A little bit more cushion and with equal width tires, the road holding might even be improved. At least that is what I have read here. As it is the SR looks really nice. You can turn and park it on a dime and the high roof makes entry and exit more graceful in a small package. The view from the front seats is first class and yes a 'Big Speedo' with chrome surround, on the centreline of the leather endowed steering wheel. Cruise control and blue whatsit buttons and such on the steering wheel spokes and a little mic. in the roof that seems far above. It's a happy little car for those who a small car will suit, and you always look forward to getting in and driving off.
   I might not have bought it with a CVT.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:54:20 am »
We've done that exact drive (well an extra 2.5hrs up from Lethbridge) in a Mazda 2 with a full load of five people.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:04:50 am »
We've done that exact drive (well an extra 2.5hrs up from Lethbridge) in a Mazda 2 with a full load of five people.

Somebody wrote in to say that they'd done that route Tofino to Quebec and back in a Renault 8 towing a Boler. I don't think anyone's going to top that for most ambitious.

Anyway, the 4-speed and the hatchback shape hurts the highway fuel economy - this is more properly a city car, and it'd be really good at that job. The SR is a great fit for an older driver who just wants easy-to-park, low-headache transport, and it has pretty much everything you need.

The mid-range SV with an auto is 16K+ tax including freight, as compared to about 800 more for a Mirage SE. the structure reminds me of the previous-gen Versa, where the four-speed was the base option, or you could step up to the CVT in the higher models (and many did).

Right now, in this market, the financing on the Micra is what makes it a bit less competitive, unless you're leasing. Mazda2 has very aggressive rates as per usual for Mazda this time of year.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:44 am »
This was my favorite part of the article: 

Hammering up past a semi-trailer on one stretch and concentrating deeply, I realize the Micra is faltering and search for the cause. Turns out we’ve tuned into a local radio station (“Playing the greatest hits of all time”). “Not Phil Collins!” I shout over the roar of the straining four-cylinder, “You’re sapping its will to live!”

Okay, Hammond, take a chill pill!

Anyway, WRT to the used car vs new car debate, I picked up my 2011 Altima with 55000 kms for less money than your loaded Nissan Micra tester ($15800 plus taxes).  I have more room, more amenities, more power, and not significantly worse economy (I do about 6.5l/100km on the highway...granted, that's flat Manitoba Hwy).  Basically the only advantage the Micra has over a used car is the bumper to bumper warranty.  I still have two years of powertrain warranty, however, and seven more years of CVT warranty.

Maybe to some people who want the peace of mind of a warranty, or who really only need a small car, the Micra makes sense.  As for me, it was an easy choice to make.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:25:15 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:25:38 am »

Whoah, can it go offroading, bro?!  Do I see a subcompact offroading comparo coming up?

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 11:16:51 am »
Thank you for the story, my aunt had an original Micra and it was fun to drive, it was like a go-kart /w a windshield :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 11:20:30 am »
Christ....a car with 100hp AND a slushbox over the Coq....that sounds like my own worst nightmare.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:55:26 am »

Hammering up past a semi-trailer on one stretch and concentrating deeply, I realize the Micra is faltering and search for the cause. Turns out we’ve tuned into a local radio station (“Playing the greatest hits of all time”). “Not Phil Collins!” I shout over the roar of the straining four-cylinder, “You’re sapping its will to live!”

Anyway, WRT to the used car vs new car debate, I picked up my 2011 Altima with 55000 kms for less money than your loaded Nissan Micra tester ($15800 plus taxes).  I have more room, more amenities, more power, and not significantly worse economy (I do about 6.5l/100km on the highway...granted, that's flat Manitoba Hwy).  Basically the only advantage the Micra has over a used car is the bumper to bumper warranty.  I still have two years of powertrain warranty, however, and seven more years of CVT warranty.

Maybe to some people who want the peace of mind of a warranty, or who really only need a small car, the Micra makes sense.  As for me, it was an easy choice to make.

And financing. If you're just starting out, and thinking about your car in terms of a monthly payment rather than a lump sum, the option of leasing or financing can make a new car much more palatable. As the Micra's just out, we're not quite there yet, but when they put 1.9% or whatever on it, suddenly you're into a 200ish payment on a decent little car. Yes, lump sum makes the used market that much more attractive, but unless you can get a decent line-of-credit, most used rates are prime +, especially for a new buyer.

And yes, the slushbox wasn't great, but hey, I drove it up the Highwood pass with the air-con on full blast and it made it just fine.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:33 pm »
...define made it "just fine"

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:45:21 pm »

And financing. If you're just starting out, and thinking about your car in terms of a monthly payment rather than a lump sum, the option of leasing or financing can make a new car much more palatable. As the Micra's just out, we're not quite there yet, but when they put 1.9% or whatever on it, suddenly you're into a 200ish payment on a decent little car. Yes, lump sum makes the used market that much more attractive, but unless you can get a decent line-of-credit, most used rates are prime +, especially for a new buyer.

And yes, the slushbox wasn't great, but hey, I drove it up the Highwood pass with the air-con on full blast and it made it just fine.

Ahh, touché!  I got financing at 4.9% though, which is comparable to some new car purchases.  I agree, it would be hard for a used car purchase to compete with 1.9% or 0% financing. 

Anyway, if I were buying a car for my daughter, and I absolutely wanted a brand new car for her (she has 15more years to go until this happens...) then the Micra would definitely be high on my list. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:47:57 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »
Ahh, touché!  I got financing at 4.9% though, which is comparable to some new car purchases.  I agree, it would be hard for a used car purchase to compete with 1.9% or 0% financing
Just pointing it out - 4.9% of $20,000 = $980.  We're not talking huge money, here, and then with a new car, you have to pay $1,400+ on Freight/PDI.

Even for those who are looking to spend very little, let's say a $10,000 used car, then the financing is even less of a concern (to the tune of <$500 - over 5 years of expected ownership, that amounts to $8.33/month in interest).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:39:31 pm »
So...  Who from autos.ca is going to be repeating your trip Brendan, but in a Mitsubishi Mirage for comparisons?   :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »
Ahh, touché!  I got financing at 4.9% though, which is comparable to some new car purchases.  I agree, it would be hard for a used car purchase to compete with 1.9% or 0% financing
Just pointing it out - 4.9% of $20,000 = $980.  We're not talking huge money, here, and then with a new car, you have to pay $1,400+ on Freight/PDI.

Even for those who are looking to spend very little, let's say a $10,000 used car, then the financing is even less of a concern (to the tune of <$500 - over 5 years of expected ownership, that amounts to $8.33/month in interest).

You forgot that it's compound interest.  It would be more like $2067.57 if paid off over 48mos!

So...  Who from autos.ca is going to be repeating your trip Brendan, but in a Mitsubishi Mirage for comparisons?   :rofl2:

That exact question crossed my mind as I was reading the article!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:16:25 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »
...define made it "just fine"

Nobody died.

Well, Tim died, but he was a jerk anyway.

While we're on the subject of financing, most automotive loans are open (which means you can pay them off at any time), but they also use blended payments. Thus, the amount of interest you pay at the beginning for the loan is greater than at the end, meaning you start out paying the actual car off more slowly.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Road Trip: 2015 Nissan Micra SR, Calgary to Vancouver
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »
The Micra really shines when stacked against the Mirage. I didn't think the Micra terrible and could live with one but I'd want AC.  As much as I appreciate the $10-15K new car market, I'd still buy used. But, it's great to see competition in this range, and some of these cars will be stellar used buys in a short time. A 3-4yr old Micra might end up as a great $5K used but, maybe even less. You have to get pretty old to spend that little on a Civic or Corolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk