Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Spark  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Spark
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:00 am »

A clunky CVT dulls this otherwise fun, banana-yellow Chevrolet Spark.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Spark
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 06:59:46 am »
I'll take a CVT any day over a normal automatic despite the ritual thrashings CVTs get from automotive journalists.

I'll bet that although the Spark was slow with 4 chubby journalists, it was quiet.  Huge amounts of body mass and bulky cargo in a vehicle do wonders in dropping the noise floor.  The yellow is not my colour, but it looks good on the car in these pictures.

I guess the Spark is a pretty decent package and undoubtedly the best small car GM has ever produced.  The bar might have been pretty low here but the Spark appears to be competitive and in EV form, is a bit of a killer.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:02:41 am »
I'll take a CVT any day over a normal automatic despite the ritual thrashings CVTs get from automotive journalists.

I'll bet that although the Spark was slow with 4 chubby journalists, it was quiet.  Huge amounts of body mass and bulky cargo in a vehicle do wonders in dropping the noise floor.  The yellow is not my colour, but it looks good on the car in these pictures.

I guess the Spark is a pretty decent package and undoubtedly the best small car GM has ever produced.  The bar might have been pretty low here but the Spark appears to be competitive and in EV form, is a bit of a killer.

Cheers,
John M.

This one had many more issues than just the standard CVT grumbles. It actually felt like it was broken at times it was that shuddery and clunky. Felt almost like the band slipped and jumped. It was pretty rough.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:07:02 am »
   When I saw this car for the first time a while back, I thought that it's style was a bit far out for me. As always, time changes thoughts on style and now I like this car. Seeing them around also changes ones views on style. The designers have done a good job in a small package wherever the design was done. I like the look of the seats...always a tough job to make supportive and comfortable in a small car. Hot surface in the summer is the only thought. A sharp package though.
   Anyway, you have tested contenders here consecutively...the Micra being the previous car in this category. Seemingly opposites though in style and make-up. The Micra being, perhaps, more traditional in such as 4 speed automatic and speedo. Large round dial in that case. For now the Micra gets the 1.6 CVVT engine with chain drive timing (I think) and 109/106 or so HP/Torque. Which I suggest is more than ample for a car this size. Acceleration would be close to 5, I would have thought for such a package. Electronic steering also.
   The Micra is a little larger in dimension almost everywhere except height. Which might put it in a 'Micro' sector larger format. Similar to the previous Accent 4 door. Even sizes are converging. The extra height in both vehicles is admirable.
   Two very decent reports. But like a previous commenter said...perhaps the accel rating should be augmented towards the sector involved. Or perhaps a scale extender will be required for 238 HP!!!

Sorry, I see it was Mark Stevenson who 'first drove' the Micra

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:35:47 am by Rupert »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:16:06 am »
Jacob, I have to say it again - exceptional piece.  For a car I care naught about, I read that with pure enjoyment.  Thank you.

if I have one edit for you:
The Spark’s 84 hp, 83 lb-ft, 1.2L mill is adequate for city touring one up, or even two up. I found it acceptable on the highways during our long drive from Toronto to Windsor – but when you add the combined weight of us four (three adult males, averaging about 90 kg each and a female of undisclosed weight) to the 1,074 kg Spark you effectively increase its weight by 30 percent. 40Forty if you count our backpacks/cameras/hip flasks/egos.
- just to be proper.

As for the Spark, I rented one to drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando (Disney, weeeeeeeeee!!!!!) and then a few days' driving around Orlando.  Total distance was about 450km.  Total fuel cost was $23.  TWENTY-THREE FRICKEN DOLLARS.  Sure, acceleration took a heavy heave of my foot and 12-ish seconds, but I averaged over 45mpg, IIRC.  Downright stellar.  Also, I found the seats to be very comfortable, but mine didn't have the plastic - cloth, and it was very good.

For a small car, I actually did like it.  The powertrain, though thrifty, concerned me for acceleration, even in the city at times.  What I didn't like, was:

^^^that's what it looks like with the seats down.  We came off a cruise in Ft. Lauderdale, so we had 1 suitcase each and a backpack each.  There's no way to fit both in the trunk, and Jacob, I'd argue that even 1 didn't fit (I had thought of doing 1 in the trunk, 1 in the backseat, but IIRC I couldn't make it work - standard 25" upright suitcase.  The seats do NOT fold flat, at all, or even close to it, which made sliding the suitcases in very difficult.  We made it, but it was a chore.  The car's width also BARELY allowed the two suitcases to be side-by-side (laying flat).

...then again, this is a city car.  It's not for cargo hauling.  In that respect, it's trunk is adequate.

I also have to disagree about tracking straight on the highway (or in my case, Freeway - wait, you were in Cali, so it's Freeway for you, too!).  I found that it drifted, and it wasn't windy at all.  Any passing truck (pick-up or larger) also made the Spark wander.  I can't say I loved the steering feel, but welcome to small cars.

As a rental, I enjoyed it, but always walked away from it after parking it thinking "Fak I am glad to be out of that thing."  Very difficult to get an emotional connection with it, but the turning radius was nice :)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:29 am »
Jacob, I have to say it again - exceptional piece.  For a car I care naught about, I read that with pure enjoyment.  Thank you.

if I have one edit for you:
The Spark’s 84 hp, 83 lb-ft, 1.2L mill is adequate for city touring one up, or even two up. I found it acceptable on the highways during our long drive from Toronto to Windsor – but when you add the combined weight of us four (three adult males, averaging about 90 kg each and a female of undisclosed weight) to the 1,074 kg Spark you effectively increase its weight by 30 percent. 40Forty if you count our backpacks/cameras/hip flasks/egos.
- just to be proper.

As for the Spark, I rented one to drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando (Disney, weeeeeeeeee!!!!!) and then a few days' driving around Orlando.  Total distance was about 450km.  Total fuel cost was $23.  TWENTY-THREE FRICKEN DOLLARS.  Sure, acceleration took a heavy heave of my foot and 12-ish seconds, but I averaged over 45mpg, IIRC.  Downright stellar.  Also, I found the seats to be very comfortable, but mine didn't have the plastic - cloth, and it was very good.

For a small car, I actually did like it.  The powertrain, though thrifty, concerned me for acceleration, even in the city at times.  What I didn't like, was:

^^^that's what it looks like with the seats down.  We came off a cruise in Ft. Lauderdale, so we had 1 suitcase each and a backpack each.  There's no way to fit both in the trunk, and Jacob, I'd argue that even 1 didn't fit (I had thought of doing 1 in the trunk, 1 in the backseat, but IIRC I couldn't make it work - standard 25" upright suitcase.  The seats do NOT fold flat, at all, or even close to it, which made sliding the suitcases in very difficult.  We made it, but it was a chore.  The car's width also BARELY allowed the two suitcases to be side-by-side (laying flat).

...then again, this is a city car.  It's not for cargo hauling.  In that respect, it's trunk is adequate.

I also have to disagree about tracking straight on the highway (or in my case, Freeway - wait, you were in Cali, so it's Freeway for you, too!).  I found that it drifted, and it wasn't windy at all.  Any passing truck (pick-up or larger) also made the Spark wander.  I can't say I loved the steering feel, but welcome to small cars.

As a rental, I enjoyed it, but always walked away from it after parking it thinking "Fak I am glad to be out of that thing."  Very difficult to get an emotional connection with it, but the turning radius was nice :)

isn't this one of those that you have to flip the seat bottoms forward to fully lower the seatback?

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2013/index.php?level=picture&id=1269
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
There's not much that can be done with styling on these tiny cars, no matter what they look awkward.  At least when they make the beltline so high like this...

I would have to say the price difference is not worth it over the Sonic.  The sonic is less awkward, has the little bit of extra space you need, and is less awkward looking.  Not even counting any number of used cars that would slap this thing into irrelevance, but that's a separate issue.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:10 am »
isn't this one of those that you have to flip the seat bottoms forward to fully lower the seatback?
I tried that in my rental - it didn't budge.  The car was brand new (13mi on the odometer), so who knows what could have been wrong (including my lack of working knowledge of the Spark).

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:22:54 pm »
The latest Chevy Spark I drove, I enjoyed so much was this 2014 model 

I talked about it here http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,88150.msg1009068.html#msg1009068
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:50 pm »
I drove a Spark for a comparo when they were just out, and to make Jacob jealous, it was black with a black interior, with only the silver trim and no contrasts. Never seen another one so ... discrete.

Best of all, it had the 4-speed auto, which I found very smooth and well-adapted to the car. Even in our suburban drive, I hit 5.9 l/100km. From behind the wheel, it drove like a normal car, noise in check and surprising comfort. GM would have a hit if the prices were a bit lower.

Turning radius was good, but not as impressive as another car we had for that comparo, the Scion iQ - that thing practically turns on itself.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:27:10 pm »
It's good that GM makes this car, but it fails in so many ways. Sure, it gets good mileage, but it should with that motor, the low weight, and the diminutive size. I wouldn't attribute the good mileage solely, or in large part, to the CVT. It MAY help, but it sounds like it's crap. I guess someone has to keep the bad reputation of the CVT going (Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have failed in this regard, as they make great CVT's). Personally, this car is so ugly, I wouldn't drive it. Final issue: it's overpriced. Maybe the next generation can correct the deficiencies (price can be corrected immediately).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »
Final issue: it's overpriced.
I was going to argue with you, but I compared the prices and it is rather costly as compared to its other diminutive competition.  With that being said, GM's up to its usual bullsh!t here of 'employee pricing' (though it only gives $1,000 off).  Still, the 'loaded' model, with destination, is under $20,000.  Even the loaded Micra is $1,500 cheaper and then doesn't have as much 'stuff' (despite the powertrain being superior).

$1,500 is a lot of money in this class, but I'd say the car still feels rather 'cheap' but doesn't pretend to be.  That'll be the Micra's strongest selling point - you want a cheap car?  Here ya go.  GM with the Spark?  "Here's a premium subcompact...buy me."  I'd take the Micra on that marketing basis, but probably the Spark on a value basis.  Maybe.  Who cares, I'd rather a used Corolla, Civic, 3, Elantra, etc.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »
I enjoyed driving it as a rental...no one in the real world would try to put more than 2 people in this car... this is a inner city personal transport with the ability to do short hwy trips...also it looks funky and is the best looking of the micro cars...

you do need to turn off the AC when you try to merge though...

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »
Cheap would not be the word for the Micra in the context used. In top trim it is a superior little car with a nicely sorted suspension and well matched transmission (on all levels of pricing) I would say, having driven one for a while. It does not hurt that it is nice looking also...I know subjective...but ugly would be out of the question. Bigger in every dimension than a Spark except height, but still tall without looking ungainly. Easy to get in and out. It might be closer to a Fiesta in size than a Spark but taller.
Anyway, both of these cars pale in dimension and power and torque and content (the smallness thereof) to a 50s Austin A35 which was a daily driver and touring car for many all over Britain. Often driving decent distances. A top speed of 72 MPH would be perfect for here now even; all on a normally aspirated 1 liter engine developing about 34 bhp with 38 lb feet of torque. It weighed half as much. These things are large in comparison. Maybe we have become spoiled. There is no harm in favouring a small footprint. Maybe it is an admirable notion.
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/carspecs.php/?see=3509

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:01:15 pm by Rupert »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »
I enjoyed driving it as a rental...no one in the real world would try to put more than 2 people in this car... this is a inner city personal transport with the ability to do short hwy trips...also it looks funky and is the best looking of the micro cars...

you do need to turn off the AC when you try to merge though...

I live in the real world and I needed to put four people in it.   

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 04:23:08 pm »
90kg?  Someone needs to stay away from the drivethru...

;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 04:50:52 pm »
Cheap would not be the word for the Micra in the context used.
It weighed half as much. These things are large in comparison. Maybe we have become spoiled.
By simply googling "Nissan Micra," you get:
http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/2015-nissan-micra-review-cheapest-car-canada/
caption:2015 Nissan Micra, The Cheapest New Car In Canada

I wasn't saying it's crap, I was saying it's cheap (at least in base trim).

As for its weight, the reason why cars have bloated so much, and why they need more hp than they used to (to overcome that weight), is for safety/crash test ratings.  That, and sound insulation ain't light, either.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 05:28:45 pm »
I haven't driven the car so I have no comment to make on the observations, good or bad, of its driving abilities. But there is one of these nearby in this exact color combo and I love the look. The lemonade-yellow paint is appropriate for a fun runabout, not overdone, eyeball-searing, screaming-yellow like so many other companies apply, and - yellow upholstery! A homage to the 1967 Olds Cutlass, no doubt, the last car I can recall to have such a hue inside. Down with black interiors! All hail yellow!!!   :cheers:
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline ManitobaSky

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chevy Colorado, Saturn Ion Redline, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Chevy Spark
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:09 pm »
The seats do in fact fold pretty close to flat. You pull the head rests, pull up on the front of the seat bottom and then flip it forwards. Not the most elegant system but it works. My personal best for most stuff in my spark(2013 LT1 manual) is myself and my brother, 4 25kg bags a of chicken feed(don't ask), food for a family BBQ for 12 people and two potted apple trees. Yes two apple trees. I do agree that if I had paid invoice price it would have been a sonic that came home with me. Luckily for me the local dealer ordered only one lonely spark and then if failed to sell, so they discounted it heavily. I only paid $10800 plus tax, just too good to pass up.   

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:11 am »
" I only paid $10800 plus tax, just too good to pass up. "

What was the list on your car? 

Cheers,
John M.