Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1067192 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #4460 on: October 14, 2016, 02:14:58 pm »
If you can't sustain 55 KPH average on such a bike, then yes you are a poser. :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4461 on: October 14, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »
How often do you lot have your GONADS re_CYCLED ??? .....Hmm Hmm has only got one ball :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4463 on: October 15, 2016, 06:28:06 am »
BALLERS................ :rofl:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4464 on: October 15, 2016, 07:17:25 am »
Derek, I have your Christmas present!

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Taillight-Silicone-TailLight-Backpack/dp/B01IN9QS6O/ref=lp_15242572011_1_1?srs=15242572011&ie=UTF8&qid=1476454675&sr=8-1

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

P.S.  Also available in blue!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Too funny. The first time I see somebody with these I'm going to push them into the ditch.  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: October 21, 2016, 08:43:19 am »
The best 56 kms of bike shoulder in Ontario or 112 if you count coming back on the other side.

Knocked another ride off my bucket list. Did the Algonquin Park gate-gate-gate on Wednesday. Had perfect fall weather, sunny, 10C at the start and 18C by time I finished. Winds were calm going out but started picking up when I was getting close to the turn around. By time I got back, it felt windy, probably 10-15 kph and it was a pure head wind.

Will say it is one of the best metric centuries I've ever done but considering its Algonquin, that is pretty easy to achieve.

Very low traffic on the way out, more on the way back but I'd never say it was ever busy.

Hilly, no wait, very hilly. There really is only one "flat" section which is by Lake of Two Rivers. Almost 4,000 feet of climbing hilly and don't think there is even one categorized climb.

Going out it was nice but coming back, head winds of course.

I went to enjoy it, take my time and didn't race any part of it. Only stood while climbing to stretch my legs. Think my avg HR of 143 pretty much shows how relaxed I was and it was only that high due to the climb after climb after climb. Plus I'd say my HR is about 5 beats higher than summer now I'm in off season.

Won't deny, I was tired by time I finished. I'm not into doing long rides at this time of the year and I could really tell. Around the 80 km mark, I was ready to get off the bike. Also doesn't help that you have to do 13 extra kms if you really want both gates.

I mapped it out on RWGPS and it says there are 20m more climbing going westbound. I will say that it feels like 200m more.

Once you turn around, you start off with 5km of climbing then do the 'flat' section then it just feels like climb after climb until you finish. Think there was only one rewarding decent in the last 30k or at least that is how it felt. Worst part, if you are tired, it finishes on a climb into a head wind, oh great.

Really glad I knocked this one off my list. Truly an amazing ride.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4466 on: October 21, 2016, 08:46:43 am »
^^^ That's awesome quad!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4467 on: October 21, 2016, 09:41:46 am »
Nicely done Derek!
Driven the park many time between YQA and YOW but never cycled it.
I think the logging trucks would unnerve me, that and the bears!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4468 on: October 21, 2016, 11:31:02 am »
The best 56 kms of bike shoulder in Ontario or 112 if you count coming back on the other side.

Knocked another ride off my bucket list. Did the Algonquin Park gate-gate-gate on Wednesday. Had perfect fall weather, sunny, 10C at the start and 18C by time I finished. Winds were calm going out but started picking up when I was getting close to the turn around. By time I got back, it felt windy, probably 10-15 kph and it was a pure head wind.

Will say it is one of the best metric centuries I've ever done but considering its Algonquin, that is pretty easy to achieve.

Very low traffic on the way out, more on the way back but I'd never say it was ever busy.

Hilly, no wait, very hilly. There really is only one "flat" section which is by Lake of Two Rivers. Almost 4,000 feet of climbing hilly and don't think there is even one categorized climb.

I went to enjoy it, take my time and didn't race any part of it. Only stood while climbing to stretch my legs. Think my avg HR of 143 pretty much shows how relaxed I was and it was only that high due to the climb after climb after climb. Plus I'd say my HR is about 5 beats higher than summer now I'm in off season.

Won't deny, I was tired by time I finished. I'm not into doing long rides at this time of the year and I could really tell. Around the 80 km mark, I was ready to get off the bike. Also doesn't help that you have to do 13 extra kms if you really want both gates.

I mapped it out on RWGPS and it says there are 20m more climbing going westbound. I will say that it feels like 200m more.

Once you turn around, you start off with 5km of climbing then do the 'flat' section then it just feels like climb after climb until you finish. Think there was only one rewarding decent in the last 30k or at least that is how it felt. Worst part, if you are tired, it finishes on a climb into a head wind, oh great.

Great job Derek!  Did you know the wind direction?  Could have started from the other gate?  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: October 21, 2016, 11:49:39 am »
^^^ That's awesome quad!

Thx. You should do it next year or even part of it. Could combine it with a family trip.

I think the logging trucks would unnerve me, that and the bears!
Railton

Bears? What bears?  :rofl2:  On the ride out it was very quiet so I had that thought going through my mind a few times, especially when slowly climbing.  Funny thing is I did see a bear when I was there last year. Riding a trail with a buddy, another guy coming towards us and the bear ran between all of us. The guy coming towards us grabbed his front brake so hard he did an endo. Good thing the bear kept running.

Traffic was really good and not many big trucks. Plus the ones that did pass me still gave lots of room despite me having a proper shoulder to ride on.

Great job Derek!  Did you know the wind direction?  Could have started from the other gate?  :rofl2:

I actually did check wind direction and knew it would suck coming back. I debated started at the other gate but that would mean another 45-60 minutes of driving to the other gate and then again coming back. Seemed like a waste of gas and time.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4470 on: October 21, 2016, 11:55:08 am »
^^^ That's awesome quad!

Thx. You should do it next year or even part of it. Could combine it with a family trip.

You seem to forget that I have now actually SEEN the Strava profile.  :rofl2:  Find me a long, FLAT, ride through beautiful countryside and I am there.

One of my Facebook friends got madly into cycling last year and is already competing in local crits.  He is whippet-thin and built for climbing.  But he lives in Texas.  His ride profiles can be like 50 miles with about 2 inches total elevation gain.  ;D

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »

Sounds like a great ride!  :thumbup: :cheers:

At this time of year my riding is limited to weekends only. Have had some great cross/gravel rides and heading out for another one tomorrow morning. It's just getting too damn cold - the average temp on my previous ride was 3C degrees and that's not fun when someone has a flat and the group stops for 10 minutes. Comes with the territory and is all part of the sport...
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4472 on: October 21, 2016, 05:11:11 pm »

And NOT ONE f'n picture.   :nono:

Sounds like a great ride, Derek. 

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: October 30, 2016, 08:42:53 am »
Oops, look what just happened, my first KOM.  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: November 07, 2016, 04:34:31 pm »
Oops, look what just happened, my first KOM.  ;D

Congrats but knock off one more second so you don't have to share that podium.

Sunny and 17C today and forecast is calling for a chance of wet flurries on Friday so you know what I was doing.

Got in a great 90 km ride with some friends, oldest is 70 year old. Felt great to take my time and look around at everything I missed all summer while I was trying to stick to the wheel in front of me.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: November 15, 2016, 11:27:52 pm »
Not sure if this is news for you guys heavily into the sport:  http://deadspin.com/one-of-cyclings-great-doping-mysteries-has-just-been-so-1789021968
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: November 16, 2016, 07:38:15 am »
Not sure if this is news for you guys heavily into the sport:

Interesting. Personally I don't care who doped or still dopes.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #4477 on: December 01, 2016, 08:15:49 am »
Picked up the new Bontrager Drop Line dropper post from my LBS last night.

Previous droppers have been in the $550-$650 range, but this new one is just $380. I trust my techs there and despite repeated questions from me about how this is (or could be perceived as) inferior to the other options, all I got were shrugged shoulders. Even given the opportunity to up-sell, the response was "no, seriously, this thing is great. There's no need to get the Reverb or LEV."

Of course, with riding season all but over, I won't get much chance to test it until next year. But still, I'm excited!
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4478 on: December 01, 2016, 10:45:39 am »
Why would you need this, can you not just hang off the back behind the saddle?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #4479 on: December 01, 2016, 02:07:46 pm »
Why would you need this, can you not just hang off the back behind the saddle?

Certainly not on my bike. If I have my seatpost as high as I'd want it for efficient pedaling and grinding up hills, it's completely in my way and causes risk on aggressive downhills. This is the case for most riders I know. Dropper posts eliminate this dilemma - you can adjust on the fly.