Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:14 am »

Though a real 'boonie-basher,' the Evoque's fetching countenance and Range Rover badge guarantee its place in many upscale driveways.

Read More...

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Range Rover Evoque Pure
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:14:49 am »
One of the best looking SUV's in the segment IMO.  I'm sure Range Rover will have no problems selling many of these - I've already started seeing quite a few on the streets.

Reliability will be the relative unknown, but the style, luxury features, price point, potential off road capabilities, and cachet of the Range Rover brand will probably get a lot of people to switch to this vehicle from X3's, GLK's, A5's, etc.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:26:36 am »
One of the best looking SUV's in the segment IMO.  I'm sure Range Rover will have no problems selling many of these - I've already started seeing quite a few on the streets.

Reliability will be the relative unknown, but the style, luxury features, price point, potential off road capabilities, and cachet of the Range Rover brand will probably get a lot of people to switch to this vehicle from X3's, GLK's, A5's, etc.

Agreed. However, its the type of vehicle to lease for 3 years, then dump (which I suspect most people will do).

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:45:41 am »

Agreed. However, its the type of vehicle to lease for 3 years, then dump (which I suspect most people will do).

Ditto with everything.  :iagree:
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:06:39 am »
This vehicle is a descendent of most unfamous of all Land Rovers - Freelander. It was cute but overall reliability was poor, resale value as well. If the vehicle is targeting buyers as Justin Bieber and so that's OK, but the sale target gona be never met. I know, LR tryes to build vehicles for thr elite customers in their respective classes but how much this one can be a recipe for survival?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:16:22 am »
..can't wait to see it "Wade in water up to 500cm's deep"  where's the snokel button on the dash....... ;D......change the name to the WATER_ROVER .... >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:19:07 am »
Seems like a great, albeit very pricey, overall package, but the Evoque's exaggeratedly high belt line is just ridiculous. Land Rovers have always had tall greenhouses, resulting in great exterior visibility, and this is an unwelcome departure.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:15:29 am »

Ditto with everything.  :iagree:

Me too.

It will sell on looks alone.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:17:12 am »
We pick one of these up today.  Can't wait to test it!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:18:26 am »
Hello :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 09:18:59 am »
Hello :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I don't actually get it until the 24th.  What are you doing Christmas? lol

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:17 am »
NOt sure what it will be like to drive.  But that is drool-worthy to look at!   :drool:

Hopefully I can check one out at the auto show in Montreal.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 10:02:58 am »
I could never buy a car design by Posh anyways....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:11 am »
..can't wait to see it "Wade in water up to 500cm's deep"  where's the snokel button on the dash....... ;D......change the name to the WATER_ROVER .... >:D
:rofl2:

It must be part submarine!  500mm depth, perhaps?  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:14 am »
People think this is a great-looking SUV?  Seriously?  Looks way too much like a Tonka-toy to me.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:41 am »
It's not that great really...  It's meh.  Interior is nice though.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:00 am »
I dont think its that good looking at all.....off course I think the best looking Land Rover product is the Defender, so this is one is a little cutesy for me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »
I test drove an Evoque and thought it was a great package. Engine was responsive and I didn't find the visibility to be a huge factor. I thought they did a beautiful job with the interior. While reliability is up in the air, since Tata bought Jaguar it has improved. The dealer network is a huge downside for me since it is 45 min to the nearest dealer. Whether you like or dislike the design ( I think it is great), they definitely have an eye catcher. Maybe the Japanese brands should try to steal their designers because most of the Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus lines are boring, and I own two of them at the moment.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 12:47:16 pm »

Ooooo thats low :) Although amusingly correct. Top Gear seemed pretty skeptical about it initially as well but turns out its quite a versatile vehicle. I feared it would be like the Jeep Compass but its actually quite capable - apparently. Anyone see the TG episode where Jeremy tries to get up a slightly wet grassy hill with an X6? Hilarious.

I actually really like the styling. Get used to it guys the days of having large slab sided windows have been disappearing since the late 90s. Range Rover is just late to the game. I know a guy with an LR3 and he can't wait for the least to be up on it. Nothing but electrical gremlins with it.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 12:52:24 pm »

Ooooo thats low :) Although amusingly correct. Top Gear seemed pretty skeptical about it initially as well but turns out its quite a versatile vehicle. I feared it would be like the Jeep Compass but its actually quite capable - apparently. Anyone see the TG episode where Jeremy tries to get up a slightly wet grassy hill with an X6? Hilarious.

I actually really like the styling. Get used to it guys the days of having large slab sided windows have been disappearing since the late 90s. Range Rover is just late to the game. I know a guy with an LR3 and he can't wait for the least to be up on it. Nothing but electrical gremlins with it.

No way, they will have to pry my slab side windows out of my cold dead hands. ;)  The amount of fuses on the LR3 is truly frightening but most e gremlins can be traced back to a weak battery. LR3's have a ton of electrical toys that draw power. The key is to get a proper replacement one. Too many owners replace with Can. Tire special as it takes some sluething to pick up the proper one.