Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportswagen TDI; Day 1  (Read 18324 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportswagen TDI; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 11:27:42 am »
Me thinks the centre console design on the North American Golf is an afterthought since originally it was designed to have the EPB. Look at the Golf R and it is better executed. Love the sliding cover too, nice item (we have this in the Tiguan too) to clean up the look.

Why would the location of the 12V plug be an issue?
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 11:51:47 am »
1) I think it looks kinda cheap.
2) It is right next to the cup holders and risks getting liquid dumped into it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 12:01:49 pm »
Looks cheap because it is. As if the cost-saving handbrake and lack of the cupholder cover next to it wasn't evidence enough.

Do you guys actually put liquid beverages in your vehicle? Serious question......I carry bottled water which fits nicely in the door pocket (if the car is designed properly) so centre storage bins/cupholders usually serve as a place for my mobile phone. I never understood the concept of open beverages in vehicles.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 12:09:55 pm »
I never understood the concept of open beverages in vehicles.

What is there to understand?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 12:11:00 pm »
Does the car have a centre armrest?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »
The Fender system is North America specific......rest of the world uses Dynaudio as the upgrade.

They even might be the same - it's all marketing, as VW sound systems are all made by Matsushita (Panasonic).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 12:16:19 pm »
Does the car have a centre armrest?

Yes, it has an adjustable armrest.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »
I never understood the concept of open beverages in vehicles.

What is there to understand?
Why would you have a beverage in the car that could spill? Like an open can of fizzy drink or coffee? I mean, if I had a need to have a coffee in the afternoon, I would find a nearby shop, go inside and have the coffee, then continue my journey. Or even just stop by a rest area (ONroute comes to mind  :P) if its particularly urgent.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 12:21:08 pm »

Yeah... I forgot they discontinued old Audi A3 hatch. I would also argue that MINI cooper hatch is a hatchback and MINI Cooper Clubman is a wagon (although a bit small, upcoming one will be bigger)

while the Cooper 5 Door is comparable for driving and layout, it is quite a bit smaller and the Subaru Outback quite a bit bigger (and it's a crossover).

FWIW friends of mine, who ended up buying an Outback last summer, did cross-shop the Sportwagen, but they did concede the driving experience was vastly more car-like and enjoyable in the VW. Ultimately they were swayed by the AWD and roominess of the Outback.

Otherwise, I thikn the closest competitor would be a base-model Volvo V60. If you stick to FWD and zero options they're still very nicely equipped at $40k. Not sure what they lease for, but it could be nearly a wash when compared to a loaded Golf Wagon. And if I were really considering a Highline, I'd probably ante up to the Volvo instead.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 12:25:55 pm »
Why would you have a beverage in the car that could spill? Like an open can of fizzy drink or coffee?

Because the risk/reward favors having the drink.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

Yeah... I forgot they discontinued old Audi A3 hatch. I would also argue that MINI cooper hatch is a hatchback and MINI Cooper Clubman is a wagon (although a bit small, upcoming one will be bigger)

while the Cooper 5 Door is comparable for driving and layout, it is quite a bit smaller and the Subaru Outback quite a bit bigger (and it's a crossover).

FWIW friends of mine, who ended up buying an Outback last summer, did cross-shop the Sportwagen, but they did concede the driving experience was vastly more car-like and enjoyable in the VW. Ultimately they were swayed by the AWD and roominess of the Outback.

Otherwise, I thikn the closest competitor would be a base-model Volvo V60. If you stick to FWD and zero options they're still very nicely equipped at $40k. Not sure what they lease for, but it could be nearly a wash when compared to a loaded Golf Wagon. And if I were really considering a Highline, I'd probably ante up to the Volvo instead.

hmmmm... that is a fair option for competitor. good point. That is a comparison I would love to do, but Volvo always brings their press vehicles in high trims, minimum $50K, so it would be unlikely to find that perfect model.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

hmmmm... that is a fair option for competitor. good point. That is a comparison I would love to do, but Volvo always brings their press vehicles in high trims, minimum $50K, so it would be unlikely to find that perfect model.

Yeah, I can imagine a base model would be very hard to come by. I know when I was test-driving V60's last summer they didn't have any in stock at any of the local dealerships.

audi allured starting at 47.3 and the bmw 328d with only 30 more hp starting at 49ish   hummmm  bring the "RRRRRRRRRRRRR"

wonderful cars, but a markedly higher snack bracket  :(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:44:42 pm by lebowski »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 12:54:18 pm »
Looks cheap because it is. As if the cost-saving handbrake and lack of the cupholder cover next to it wasn't evidence enough.

Do you guys actually put liquid beverages in your vehicle? Serious question......I carry bottled water which fits nicely in the door pocket (if the car is designed properly) so centre storage bins/cupholders usually serve as a place for my mobile phone. I never understood the concept of open beverages in vehicles.

All the time, just came back from cutting grass, my bottle of gatorade was open the whole time!  I prefer my own coffee, but the odd time I will stop and get one at Tims, and yet another beverage open... And the cup holder area is still clean!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 12:54:57 pm »
the bmw and audi are in different snack brackets but those are the only real wagons.  today i was dropping my daughter off at school and another parent drove up in their legacy wagon (actually there are 3 parents with legacy wagons) and i kept thinking to myself that subaru really screwed up the legacy/outback wagon niche for themselves.  that outback is massive now!!

Yet they are selling more than ever. Not my cup of tea but I understand why they moved in that direction.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 01:03:27 pm »
the bmw and audi are in different snack brackets but those are the only real wagons.  today i was dropping my daughter off at school and another parent drove up in their legacy wagon (actually there are 3 parents with legacy wagons) and i kept thinking to myself that subaru really screwed up the legacy/outback wagon niche for themselves.  that outback is massive now!!

Oh for sure, those two are the only wagons going right now -- or I guess you've got the E-class but that's of course way more expensive. Having driven the Outback, I was disappointed in how SUV-like it felt around corners. I should have figured as much, given the ground clearance and truck-style tires, but still a disappointment.

Yet they are selling more than ever. Not my cup of tea but I understand why they moved in that direction.

Agreed; we can hardly blame manufacturers for going this way.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 01:53:09 pm »

Do Volvo do a diesel?  I think it's the combination of the cargo capacity of the Outback, the car-like handling, and the fuel economy of the diesel that makes this car such a great proposition.  On road trips I still get astonished at the 1,000km per (55L) tank, it's just awesome!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 02:18:57 pm »

That $42k (with freight) Volvo V60 lacks leather, xenons, navigation, keyless start...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »

Do Volvo do a diesel?  I think it's the combination of the cargo capacity of the Outback, the car-like handling, and the fuel economy of the diesel that makes this car such a great proposition.  On road trips I still get astonished at the 1,000km per (55L) tank, it's just awesome!

No diesel in Canada - but the newer 2.0T + 8-speed are pretty darned efficient given the performance.

All that said, one thing about the V60 is that cargo room - if that is important - is pitifully small, given its “wagon” status. Probably only a tiny bit bigger than an Impreza hatch  :(

That $42k (with freight) Volvo V60 lacks leather, xenons, navigation, keyless start...

True, but you have other advantages with the Volvo; amazing seats (even in the base model), powerful/efficient drivetrain, build quality (maybe actual quality is the same as VW - really have no idea - but perceived interior/exterior build-quality certainly seemed a cut above the Mk.7 when I looked at both). I guess it depends on one's priorities.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »

Yeah thats just crazy.  Even Acuras at that price come with leather, xenons, and keyless. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 09:17:39 am »
James, do you know if the Highline's sport seats are similar to the GTI's?