Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe V6 AWD  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe V6 AWD
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:38 am »

Shaking up the luxury coupe segment.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe V6 AWD
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:36:58 am »
I tried a 2.0T manual sedan (RWD) last summer and was not overly impressed.  If I was looking for a coupe luxury sedan I would probably go with BMW 2 series.  Sure it might be marginally less space in back seat compared to this ATS, but the pay off is a much better car in every other area.  If I cared about rear seat space I'd just get a Challenger with a hemi (mind you there aren't any AWD options).

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:16 am »
Interesting read. My 14 year old boy and his friends seem to like the new Cadillac styling, me not so much. Guess still warming up to it.

"but around town the big V6 has an enthusiastic appetite for fossil fuel, and I saw numbers as high as 18 L/100 km. The V6 does have the advantage that it runs on regular fuel."

That seems high. There are pickups today that do better around town.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:54 am »
I tried a 2.0T manual sedan (RWD) last summer and was not overly impressed.  If I was looking for a coupe luxury sedan I would probably go with BMW 2 series.  Sure it might be marginally less space in back seat compared to this ATS, but the pay off is a much better car in every other area.  If I cared about rear seat space I'd just get a Challenger with a hemi (mind you there aren't any AWD options).

Did Clark actually have a manual ATS in stock? I know a guy who has a black one (seems base, no sunroof) and figured he special ordered it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:41 am »

Did Clark actually have a manual ATS in stock? I know a guy who has a black one (seems base, no sunroof) and figured he special ordered it.
May have been the one I test drove with the wife this past summer.  It was basically a base, no sun roof, 2.0T manual RWD.  I hate the interior and the back seat was a joke.  The build quality still isn't there, and the BMW 228i we drove the week before was a much better vehicle.  I was surprised when the sales person here in Fredericton told me that they had a manual 2.0T model in.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:12 am »
Ignoring the somewhat old-school foot-actuated park brake,
I actually have a massive issue with these.

See, every client whose vehicle is so-equipped and is in any sort of head-on collision tends to have that pedal firmly implanted into their tibia/fibula.  We've had one client already have his leg amputated because of it.

...now every time I get into the RX400h, I cringe and keep my foot firmly away from the dead-pedal.  If I can't have my wicked-awesome-fun parking brake handle, I would prefer a button (*gasp*) - but 100% preference is still for the actual handle.

JY, what about a product liability (from a vehicle stand-point) article?  (i.e. which designs are flaws that will, if they haven't already, be cause for concern/recall?)

Anyhoo,

The outward visibility is also rather restricted,
I was surprised by just how boxy and restrictive the A-pillars were when looking forward. I was also surprised by just how small the exterior mirrors were.
Still a sore spot for me.  My car needs to be easy to drive (my personal preference)

The touch sensitive controls suffer from speed and repeatability issues: touch the volume control button and some fraction of a second later the control will gently vibrate and the volume will change, but whether it’s by a little or a lot depends on whether the system thinks you tapped or swiped the controller.
I noticed this as well...it was a fairly big issue since the music was either BLARING, or didn't change volume.

The V6 has a lusty snarl under acceleration and will haul the reasonably light ATS Coupe from standstill to 100 km/h in about 5.7 seconds (the V6 AWD weighs 1,675 kg).
Those figures really aren't so great given the power and AWD advantage...
Take the Q50 for example:
3.7L V6; 328hp, 269lb-ft, 1,703kg (heavier, similar power) and takes 5.3s 0-60.  It's also more fuel efficient.

My conclusion is that the ATS Coupe simply doesn't 'match' its competition, except perhaps in some aspects of performance.  Without the badge appeal and concomitant retained resale value, I don't see the ATS as a good buy (from a purely economical perspective).

...and then there's CUE.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:09:10 am »
Wow, a coupe that really is a coupe!   It looks good, but I lean more to function over form, which I know, is obvious given the vehicle I drive.  I had a '91 Mazda MX6, also a real coupe, that looked better, I thought, than the 626 sedan.  Got rid of it after falling in onto the back seat floor getting my infant into his car seat and having difficulty getting myself back out.   No more coupes for me after that!

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:54:33 am »
Looks better as a sedan, especially in profile. The roof behind the B pillar and the rear deck still stink of the last gen Cadillac misdirection. The car looks too fat, shoulda compromised rear head/leg room and pulled the back window forward and reduced its rake.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:23:02 pm »
I like the sedan better as well but there is something off with the ATS design I can't warm up to. I much much prefer my CTS (previous generation) and perhaps Cadillac will bring the ATS design closer to the current CTS design when they refresh it.

I used a good deal more fuel than the rating might suggest, averaging 14.8 L/100 km over the course of a week of mostly city driving

That is a spot-on description of my experience with the V6 AWD powertrain (granted my car is a little heavier). At highway speed you can achieve and even beat the official rating but in the city... will not dip lower than in the 15 L/100 km in city driving. This winter my commute was the worse that can be: short city distances during the week (11 km one way) of 100 % city driving with some idle time on morning cold starts. Avg fuel economy... between 20 and 21 L/100 Km. But I do drive the car like it was intended to be driven :)
I can't imagine how bad the Colorado/Canyon can be with that same engine in cold weather...

I’m not keen on all the piano black centre stack surfacing, as it’s a nightmare to keep clean,
Caddy has to offer other trims like BMW and M.-B. do. By the way the piano black in the C300 is horrendous, even more so than in the ATS/CTS so it is not unique to Cadillac.

...If I cared about rear seat space I'd just get a Challenger with a hemi (mind you there aren't any AWD options).

There might be one good outcome of my poor economy experience. It is helping me considering a SRT if I can make the leap of going without an AWD car...

The V6 has a lusty snarl under acceleration and will haul the reasonably light ATS Coupe from standstill to 100 km/h in about 5.7 seconds (the V6 AWD weighs 1,675 kg).
Those figures really aren't so great given the power and AWD advantage...
Take the Q50 for example:
3.7L V6; 328hp, 269lb-ft, 1,703kg (heavier, similar power) and takes 5.3s 0-60.  It's also more fuel efficient
You need to feed premium to the Q50 my friend so it is not better overall. I will also take the considerably more advanced AWD system of Cadillac over the Attesa system on the Q50.

Offline agroal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:38 pm »
     Johnny: There ARE Challengers with an AWD Hemi. My 2008 300C AWD is one. Don't let the two rear doors scare you! Garage kept since new with less than 70K miles, I still scare the :censor: out of unsuspecting passengers! 

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »
I wish that manufacturers would stop the trend of omitting spare tires for some lame tire inflator goo kit!  I want a spare tire please!!  I am willing to put up with the extra weight becuase of the trade off in safety.  Cadillac is by no means alone in this silly trend.  Almost every single luxury (and some non luxury) brands are removing spare tires from their vehicles.  Tire technology is better than it was, but even run flats have limits.  I prefer to have the safety factor that a spare tire offers.  I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin..........

It is a factor when I go to buy a car.  I am sure that I am not alone in this.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
No you are not alone. Sadly you may have to pay for it as an option but I will if it is available. And it in not only on luxury cars: it is a $200 option on the new Mustang as long as the track package is not selected.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Test Drive: 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe V6 AWD
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 04:33:00 pm »
Funny thing is those heavier run flats are a detriment to fuel economy, not to mention ride quality and handling because of the added unsprung weight.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 12:18:11 pm »
     Johnny: There ARE Challengers with an AWD Hemi. My 2008 300C AWD is one. Don't let the two rear doors scare you! Garage kept since new with less than 70K miles, I still scare the :censor: out of unsuspecting passengers!
I'm pretty sure you can't buy a new AWD Hemi car.  The 300C AWD was one of the better full size cars out there, but the Hemi V8 and AWD trim was axed because of the popularity of the V6 (and fuel economy I'm sure).  I'm trying to think of a V8 powered AWD vehicle, and can only think of Audi RS5 and upcoming Jag F-Type R.  Maybe Benz E class might have it, I'm not 100% sure.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can't buy a new AWD Hemi car.  The 300C AWD was one of the better full size cars out there, but the Hemi V8 and AWD trim was axed because of the popularity of the V6 (and fuel economy I'm sure).  I'm trying to think of a V8 powered AWD vehicle, and can only think of Audi RS5 and upcoming Jag F-Type R.  Maybe Benz E class might have it, I'm not 100% sure.

Mercedes E550 and E63
Mercedes S550 and S63 (sedan and coupe)
BMW 550i
BMW 750i
Audi A8/S8
Lexus LS
Mercedes CLS
Bentley Continental GT, GTC, and Flying Spur

I could be missing some.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:33:34 pm »
I'm trying to think of a V8 powered AWD vehicle, and can only think of Audi RS5 and upcoming Jag F-Type R.  Maybe Benz E class might have it, I'm not 100% sure.
Hyundai Genesis in top trim.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:59:31 pm »
Lexus GS.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:34 am »
Lexus GS.

There's no V8 Lexus GS aside from the GS F which is RWD.