Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs  (Read 89031 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:31:58 am »
We collect the latest compact SUVs and crossovers to see which one demonstrates the best day-to-day practicality, capability and value.

Read More...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:55:03 am by jyarkony »

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:52 am »
I *almost* got the total list of 7 in order. I thought the Sante Fe would beat out the RAV4, but I had every other single CUV placed correctly. Not that anyone can verify this...

The CX-5 is a cracker. Test drove a GS with the 2.5 back in May, we went a different route, but it was by far and away the best all-rounder out there.

The Outlander is just another reason why Mitsubishi won't make it in this market much longer.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:57:24 am »
Way to go CX5!  I love the looks from every angle and the nice and simple instrument panel.  The Santa Fe would be #2 on my list.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:17:58 am »
Yes it's true folks, the moment you've been waiting for: another Compact Crossover SUV Comparison Test!    You might be asking yourself, 'Didn't those whack-jobs at Autos.ca just do one of these last winter?  And Autumn?  And Spring?' and you'd be absolutely right.  And while we'd much rather be doing comparison tests of muscle cars or exotic foreign machinery, the buying public keeps snapping up these pudgy little compacts-on-stilts, so we keep writing about them. There's plenty to say, too, since of the seven assembled entries, every one of them save the Honda and Volkswagen is either new or significantly reworked for 2013.  Half of the group are 2014 models.  We also aimed to cap the price at $35K MSRP, which brings new trim levels into the mix, and a price point at which many Canadian families actually shop for these vehicles. All but one managed to come in at our target price. Honda's CR-V is a multiple winner at Autos.ca due to its efficiency, practicality and value, so naturally it received an invitation.  Likewise, Volkswagen's Tiguan edged out the competition last year with a loaded up (and pricey) version of its tiny crossover.  Volkswagen was asked to pare back and provide us with a more affordable Comfortline trim level to see if it can still wow our group.  The kind folks at VW literally pulled the plastic wrap off our brand new test vehicle an hour before the competition began, and only then did we find out that it nudged slightly above our price window, but still not so far off that it was deemed necessary to exclude.

What is with the wall of text this morning?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:36 am »
Hard to disagree with the top 3...other then the ranking  :) but if I was looking for a Compact SUV with more utility the Forester would he at to top of the list.

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:05:07 am »
No GM/Ford/Chrysler? Not worth considering?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06:36 am »
What is with the wall of text this morning?

Woops!
Ninja edit mode; engaged.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:41 am »
Where's the Ford Escape? best selling CUV in Canada? comparison failed. :P j/k
(and how about the Rogue, Equinox, Tucson, Sportage and Journey too)

Since I spent quite a few months shopping before getting the CX-5, this is how I would rank them.
1. CX-5
2. Forester
3. CR-V

Well some issue or another made me eliminate the other CUVs and I just compared the three I felt were top.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:33 am »
Too bad this test could not include the new Cherokee. It would have been interesting to see how it would have ranked with the V6 and 9-speed auto which can be had for a little less than $35k.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:27:08 am »

:iagree:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:34 am »
Too bad this test could not include the new Cherokee. It would have been interesting to see how it would have ranked with the V6 and 9-speed auto which can be had for a little less than $35k.

Isn't that a little big for this crowd?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:40 am »
I asked about the Equinox before on another comparo, they consider is larger than the most of these compact CUV's.  And the main reason they had another comparo is because most of these were significantly updated since the last comparo, or are a new generation.  The only reason Honda come back was because it was the winner last time, and thus a benchmark, same with the VW, and this time it was brought at a lower trim level. 

The Hyundai also topped rear seat comfort for three, and banged off another first in the tricky ‘Ease of Rear Entry’ category. Strangely, it finished tied for second last in rear seat comfort for two, suggesting that it’s a close call back there amongst all but our consensus tightest (and priciest) of the bunch, the VW Tiguan.

I don't understand how the Santa Fe can be comfortable for 3, but not for 2?

I wonder if Subaru's position would have changed if it wasn't the XT.  Little surprised that trim was chosen, I don't think it will be the volume seller.  It would have been a greater value in the lower trim...

Congrats to the CX-5, I also knew it would pull ahead this time, with the major grip being addressed with the 2.5L.  Still wish the 2nd row would recline a bit though, not a deal breaker, but more important to me than some nannies, or 19" wheels...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
Mitsu must rework Outlander if they don't want to follow Suzuki. VW should re-Jetting their Tiguan and put it in lower price range within the competition. Subi needs better interior. Hyundai is on its right place. Toyota med the intrigue not being a second one. CR-V is a step back because about just five years earlier Honda had the best non-luxury voice recognizing infotainment system. And this small buttons...But last one is our newcomer Mazda - an amazing overall No1 vehicle.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 09:06:40 am »
Excellent job as always, guys.  I am a bit surprised by the poor result for the Tiguan.  Now that it is powered by something other than a brace of asthmatic hamsters, I am not the least bit surprised by the top ranking of the CX-5.  All that car ever needed was a motor.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:07:31 am »

Since I spent quite a few months shopping before getting the CX-5, this is how I would rank them.
1. CX-5
2. Forester
3. CR-V

Well some issue or another made me eliminate the other CUVs and I just compared the three I felt were top.

We had all of those, except the Journey (which we consider mid-size, and will compare with the Santa Fe XL when the time comes), in previous comparisons...

Round 1:
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-five-compact-cuvs/

Round 2:
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-compact-crossovers-round-two/

As Jeff stated, the only reason the Santa Fe was back was because it was in a virtual tie with the Tiguan when it won round two... we consider each comparison to be an elimination round for future comparisons.

We never thought the Equinox would perform well in our comparisons, but we did due to popular demand, and it did not, although there may still be some people who find it suitable for their needs.

Solstice, the seating for the Santa Fe is comfortable for 3 but not 2 because of the flat seats - compared to other more sculpted seats, not as comfy for just 2, but it is also wider, so better shoulder hip and head room for three across.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:14 am »
Solstice, the seating for the Santa Fe is comfortable for 3 but not 2 because of the flat seats - compared to other more sculpted seats, not as comfy for just 2, but it is also wider, so better shoulder hip and head room for three across.

Hyundai could definitely improve upon the lateral support of their seats - the flatness of the seat cushion in my Sonata is evident when charging an on-ramp.  That said, as someone with lower back issues, seats that are wide, plush and comfy at first sitting can become downright painful on longer drives.  I have zero complaints about the road trip comfort of the firm, flat seats in my Hyundai.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:39 am »

If you include the Santa Fe, the Cherokee should be included too.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 10:05:48 am »
Nice review.  Good work.

I would definitely be interested to see where the new Escape and new Rogue would rank.  New Rogue certainly sounds promising.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:42 am »

If you include the Santa Fe, the Cherokee should be included too.

It wasn't the Santa Fe XL though, it was the little Santa Fe.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:08 am »
Great work as always. 

I think a few interior tweaks in the CX-5 for more on-hand storage will keep it at the top of the podium for a while.

I wonder how the Santa Fe would have ranked if Hyundai provided 2.4L AWD Luxury trim, same for Subaru.

BTW, the new Cherokee isn't even available yet, no?