Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z  (Read 23360 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:06:33 am »

"A real head-turner," the two-seater Honda CR-Z hybrid sports coupe combines "superb" handling, a "slick" shifter and a surprising amount of cargo space with miserly fuel consumption and low emissions, reports Paul Williams.

Read More...

John Meyer

Re: First Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:34:26 am »
Paul,

Questions abound.  What RPM does it turn in 6th at 100km/h?  I would hope with all of that torque, they would keep 6th as a very long overdrive but from your comments maybe not.

Will it run purely on the electric motor and up to what speed?  How far would it go on the battery?

Are they looking at a plug-in option?

Cheers,
John Meyer

ps I drove an all electric Buddy in Europe last week.  Very basic but all you really need in town.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:49:34 am »
i loved their 2nd gen crx si and was hoping honda could knock another out of the ball park with the crz way before it was made  but as soon as i saw it weighed 2800 lbs and had 122 horsepower that killed my interest completely - and then mpg was disapointing for a hybrid as well - all its other good points were moot , i hear they are working on a more powerful version , i wish them good luck

Adam F

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:08:30 am »
How was headroom in this? I have found all the new hondas very lacking, I fit no problem in my previous cars ( 91 civic, 97 accord, 2000 civic ) but my new 04 SiR i'm right into the headliner :( find the same thing with the new civics too.

Me

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:03 am »
Wow, nice car!!!

Love the white ones!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:31:23 am »
What is the rear visibility like?  I can't imagine it being very good whatsoever. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:01:41 am »
If the price is right and equipment is good, I know Honda can make a good small car work. The interior looks very comfortable and modern, the electric motor would provide a torque boost and mileage, while perhaps not mind boggling, is still better than most gas burners especially in the city. The only surprise for me is the steep mileage penalty for choosing the manual - I'm used to saving gas by choosing a stick, not using more.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:43:09 am »
one thing great about electric motors is the instant high torque
but hondas crz is only 128  lbs i believe

mcgrattan

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:11:27 pm »
Between this, the insight, and the cross-tour I don't know what Honda is thinking design-wise.  Sir Mix-a-lot is happy though.

Vanstar

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »
At this price and equipment level, I do not think Honda will have much trouble selling every one they import. The manual does have a mileage penalty but the target market, young Asians, don't drive manuals anyway. For this market, there is more than enough power, especially in Vancouver traffic, where the thing will sell like hotcakes.

The first CRX models were hardly powerhouses and I would suspect more powerful models are in the pipeline...at a price.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:17 pm »
To me, it isn’t really green or practical enough to appeal to the Prius set, and isn’t sporty enough for those waiting for a neo-CRX.

Personally I think this thing is DOA, but you never know.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »
To me, it isn’t really green or practical enough to appeal to the Prius set, and isn’t sporty enough for those waiting for a neo-CRX.

If I were shopping for an efficient two-seater, I'd much rather have a CR-Z than a smart fortwo.
I used to work here.

Vanstar

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:16 pm »
It’s kind of funny reading the reviews of recent Honda models and the reactions of readers to them. The CRZ is a good example. This car is made for young Asians, period. It is a hybrid, which is cool and the kids who will be driving them (note I do not say “buying”) don’t give a rat’s-rump how many MPG it will get (because gas is still pretty cheap, not like these kids will be paying for it anyway), nor do they give a flyin’-you-know-what if the manual uses more gas, since 99.99999% percent of them will be automatics. In addition, the target market doesn’t even know what a CVT is, and could care less if said CVT doesn’t shift like a “conventional automatic.”

This is because the guys here, and elsewhere, panning this Honda are never going to buy one. Middle aged (mostly) white men, such as myself, are comparing this car to the CRX which was made before most of the people who will buy the CRZ were born. I deal with young Asians all the time in my business. For them, this is the coolest of the cool and a car they can easily get Ma-ma and Ba-ba to fork out for, because it is safe, not too fast and doesn’t cost an arm and a chicken foot. The kids who want these cars are into flashing lights, things that go bleep and sat-nav so they can find the Hello Kitty Store. They don’t care how “linear” the steering is; they want a car they and their friends will consider trendy and cool.

Do these kids want 200+ hp? Nope, Ba-ba would never allow it and here in Vancouver driving fast on a novice licence means a two year suspension in the blink of an eye. Hell, we have Ferraris all over the place here with N signs in the back window, streaking down Cambie Street at a blistering 50 km/h.

Honda has done some cool things. When the new Civic came out in 2006, fogies (my age) wailed about the design as being “too radical” and then Honda sold about a bazillion of the things. If you want staid and boring, your local Toyota store can serve this up in spades but for young people, Hondas are infinitely cooler than Toyotas. Honda is keeping the youth market happy and then they step up the ladder, because in Soviet Canuckistan anyway, Honda has 74% retention. That’s pretty smart, eh?

RacerStu

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »
They only plan on selling 500 of the CR-Z a year. So this model is more of an "image vehicle" for Honda to draw people into the showrooms. You think Honda would have learned that 2-seater hybrids have very limited appeal after the original Insight faded into obscurity.

While the original CRX didn't have huge horsepower, it weighed only 2000 lbs and was probably sportier than a 2800 lb vehicle with 122 hp.

John Meyer

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:47:07 pm »
A number of people are panning the 128 horsepower which is certainly not make for a fast 2800 pound car.  But very high torque available at 1000rpm makes it at least snappy and responsive and easy to drive.

We can look forward to rapidly dropping horsepower levels in the future so 128hp in 2800 pounds could look downright irresponsible in 5 years.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Eric Green

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 01:54:12 pm »
As noted above, it's a porky little eyesore that is shamed by the CRX. Admittedly, government-mandated safety standards have added weight in the intervening years, but had Honda carved 500 pounds out of this doorstop (hint: ditch the hybrid drivetrain for a start), then the CR-Z might have replaced the CRX as a worthy sports-coupe successor.

Man, I hope Vanstar's comment is not accurate...  :(

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 02:29:31 pm »
Surprisingly, I don't hate the looks of this thing as much as I used to..
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Que

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »
They had an open CR-Z at the Honda Indy this past weekend, and let me tell you, it reminded me of my 93 Del Sol Si, amazing fit, and you can see out the rear, door was nice and high.  I am sure its not fast, but for me the feel was important, and it hit that mark right on.  Good job Honda, now bring back the S2000, and a NSX, job done!

aknutson

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »

I think that's the idea of this car - it's suited to all the people in the middle of those two sides of the spectrum, and (I might be wrong) but that's where its success will come from - appealing to the masses in between.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 03:19:28 pm »

If I were shopping for an efficient two-seater, I'd much rather have a CR-Z than a smart fortwo.

That's fair. But it isn't really a city car like the smart fortwo or Toyota iQ.

I think the fact that it isn't a true CRX successor turns off a lot of people especially those that had, or wanted, the CRX Si back in the day and wanted a redux. As soon as you mention the hybrid drivetrain to that crowd, they're out, not interested:”How’re you supposed to tune that?” The Si was one of the cars that launched Honda as the foremost tuner platform.

This might appeal to the few that bough the CRX FH or the original Insight, but they never sold in great quantities.