Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1624964 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #4460 on: October 21, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »
Brother of a friend recently got into the furnace/HVAC business.   Said they told him that they don't build furnaces like they used to as they lasted too long and not enough repeat customers.  Now they build them to fail once the warranty runs out.
YMMV

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Well, it's happened to TV's, washer/dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc.
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4461 on: October 21, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »
Most hot water tanks around here are rented from the power company anyways. Maybe they should do the same with furnaces.

Not sure about nb power, but sj energy rent split-system heat pumps. 

I'm getting my electric water heater tank replaced next week by nb power.  Going from a 60 to 40 gal and the cost is only $6.42/month rental.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #4462 on: October 21, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
How often is a hot water heater unrepairable?

Sure you have to replace the heating elements, but there's not a whole lot to go wrong 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4463 on: October 21, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »
Depends on the water quality and degree of expansion "hammering", but it takes at least a decade for one to leak under poor conditions. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4464 on: October 21, 2016, 07:30:03 pm »
Mine last 8 years then started leaking.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: October 21, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »
How often is a hot water heater unrepairable?

Sure you have to replace the heating elements, but there's not a whole lot to go wrong

Depends on water quality as above.  Mine is 17 yrs old this month, so I'm doing a preemptive strike. ;D I'm going down a size as there's just two of us and we don't need a huge tank. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4466 on: October 21, 2016, 10:46:10 pm »
New back pack and hiking trousers. Didn't want Brigitte telling me off for hiking in jeans...  :-* :run:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4467 on: October 22, 2016, 01:16:36 am »
next thing you know, you will have trousers to cut the lawn...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: October 22, 2016, 06:40:21 am »
I'm upgrading my vaping gear. I'm staggered by how high the technology has gone up in just a couple of years and how much the pricing has come down.

My work-of-art $200+ mod is a POS compared to the $25 mod I just got for IQ. 6w of power vs 25 watts for the new one and literally half the size. And massive, massive, clouds of vapor my mod can't touch.

Just like EVs will replace ICE cars some day, I don't see any reason why cigarette smokers will continue to buy cigarettes....since cigarettes are nothing more than a nicotine delivery system...and a poor one compared to these new vaporizers. And that's not even considering the high cost of smoking.

Wow...Just wow.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:43:45 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: October 22, 2016, 07:04:43 am »
Just like EVs will replace ICE cars some day, I don't see any reason why cigarette smokers will continue to buy cigarettes....

Funny. it remind me early 2012 when I placed a build to order at factory for my first Volt, quit smoking was my trade off to divert the cigarette and gas money to the monthly car payment.

Never look back since: no plug no sale :P
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4470 on: October 22, 2016, 07:05:12 am »
I'm upgrading my vaping gear. I'm staggered by how high the technology has gone up in just a couple of years and how much the pricing has come down.

My work-of-art $200+ mod is a POS compared to the $25 mod I just got for IQ. 6w of power vs 25 watts for the new one and literally half the size. And massive, massive, clouds of vapor my mod can't touch.

Just like EVs will replace ICE cars some day, I don't see any reason why cigarette smokers will continue to buy cigarettes....since cigarettes are nothing more than a nicotine delivery system...and a poor one compared to these new vaporizers. And that's not even considering the high cost of smoking.

Wow...Just wow.
I do not get it , why do you want  nicotine in your body  ???
I use to smoke , started when I was graded 7 , and it was the cool thing to do
stop 29 years ago

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: October 22, 2016, 08:47:25 am »

Wow...Just wow.
stop 29 years ago
I don't. I use the nicotine free vapes.

My comment was towards cigarettes smokers in general. Nicotine itself is very safe in the small quantities you get from smoking cigarettes. It's everything else about cigarettes that's bad for you....hence the comment about them being a poor delivery system for nicotine.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: October 22, 2016, 09:26:15 am »

Wow...Just wow.
stop 29 years ago
I don't. I use the nicotine free vapes.

My comment was towards cigarettes smokers in general. Nicotine itself is very safe in the small quantities you get from smoking cigarettes. It's everything else about cigarettes that's bad for you....hence the comment about them being a poor delivery system for nicotine.
I would disagree that nicotine is safe but that is besides the point .
Enjoy your vapes  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4473 on: October 22, 2016, 09:42:11 am »
Not sure I really understand the point of Vaping if it's not a substitute system to ingest nicotine.  ???

edit...Not trying to be critical but I really am puzzled. I get that vaping can deliver nicotine without many of the harmful chemicals found in tobacco smoke but if you don't smoke in the first place why anyone do it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:55:15 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:06 am »
No concern for one of those vapes exploding in your face?  :o

What about the fact you're inhaling something chemical now which could be just as bad or worse than smoking? We had someone at work explain it all...but since I don't smoke I didn't really pay attention, just remember that there was something about the chemicals they use which are poisonous - I'm sure you've delved into it further than I ever will so maybe it's just knowing what you're "smoking".

I know we all liked it when the heavy smoker at work switched to e-cigs. Yay! No more smelly a-hole walking into your office after a smoke (GTFO!) to stink up your day.  Lasted 6 months, now he's back to smoking the real thing, stinking up the place.  :P :hurl: (none of the women in the office who smoke smell like that - and he's the only man in the office who smokes. Go figure, more women then men smoke. I guess we've gotten smarter or they have more testosterone...or they don't care about their kids, health, etc. etc. :P)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: October 22, 2016, 04:28:33 pm »
Not sure I really understand the point of Vaping if it's not a substitute system to ingest nicotine.  ???

edit...Not trying to be critical but I really am puzzled. I get that vaping can deliver nicotine without many of the harmful chemicals found in tobacco smoke but if you don't smoke in the first place why anyone do it?
No worries....I'll do my best to explain.

First, it's similar to something else we like to do: chewing gum. There's no real point except that we like it and it tastes good. Vaping is similar. Except unlike chewing gum, the flavours can be so complex, as to be unbelievable. For example, I sampled a limited edition strawberries and cream today. Made by a real pastry chef. You could taste the sweet strawberry on the inhale and the cream came on during the exhale. It was incredible! I've also had a Swedish Pastry. You could taste each element. The buttery pastry, the almond and cinnamon. I have no idea how these vapes can be so multi dimensional, but it's very pleasant, very good. And hard to believe until you try it. And unlike chewing gum, when you walk into a vape bar, there's 200+ flavours. I'm vaping  peppermint cucumber right now. It has that fresh cool mouthfeel like sucking a mint (yes, you get the fresh, effervescent feel too) with a pleasant fresh cucumber thrown in. It's just...nice.  I had canolli vape with my coffee this morning.

Second, as a cigar smoker, it's very satisfying to make huge plumes of "smoke".  This love of plumes is so common there's actually a term for this type of vaper within the industry: Cloud Chasers. To that end, they actually make special equipment for cloud chasers.

So for me, those are the reasons. The complex flavors and clouds for me. And I'm not alone. When I was in the bar today, I'd say the mix was 50:50 between smokers and non smokers getting their vapes. You can tell because people ask for a certain level of nicotine when buying their vapes. At least half the people requested "zero".

Not sure if this answers your question or not...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: October 22, 2016, 04:48:18 pm »

No worries....I'll do my best to explain.

First, it's similar to something else we like to do: chewing gum. There's no real point except that we like it and it tastes good. Vaping is similar. Except unlike chewing gum, the flavours can be so complex, as to be unbelievable. For example, I sampled a limited edition strawberries and cream today. Made by a real pastry chef. You could taste the sweet strawberry on the inhale and the cream came on during the exhale. It was incredible! I've also had a Swedish Pastry. You could taste each element. The buttery pastry, the almond and cinnamon. I have no idea how these vapes can be so multi dimensional, but it's very pleasant, very good. And hard to believe until you try it. And unlike chewing gum, when you walk into a vape bar, there's 200+ flavours. I'm vaping  peppermint cucumber right now. It has that fresh cool mouthfeel like sucking a mint (yes, you get the fresh, effervescent feel too) with a pleasant fresh cucumber thrown in. It's just...nice.  I had canolli vape with my coffee this morning.

Second, as a cigar smoker, it's very satisfying to make huge plumes of "smoke".  This love of plumes is so common there's actually a term for this type of vaper within the industry: Cloud Chasers. To that end, they actually make special equipment for cloud chasers.

So for me, those are the reasons. The complex flavors and clouds for me. And I'm not alone. When I was in the bar today, I'd say the mix was 50:50 between smokers and non smokers getting their vapes. You can tell because people ask for a certain level of nicotine when buying their vapes. At least half the people requested "zero".

Not sure if this answers your question or not...

Not really , just about never chew gum
Get the flavour of pastry without the texture I do not think would do it for me .
I hate the smell of cigars , and I believe I am in my own cloud already , so not sure if vapes would do it for me  :rofl2:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: October 24, 2016, 10:20:43 am »
Replaced one of my exterior doors this weekend and what a pita that turned out to be!   :P   I got a deal on a in-stock door at Home Depot because of a small dent on the inside.  It was for the garage man door so i wasn't too concerned with a small dent, but it also turned out to be slightly warped and was impossible to get it true.  I wasted about 3 hours before i finally gave up and went on the search for another one in stock on Saturday afternoon, as the opening had to be filled and the old door got destroyed when i removed it.  We also had lots of rain and high winds that day for some extra grief.  I lucked out and found another door at another store and had it installed and in place withing a couple of hours of getting it home. 

Now i have to go back to HD and see if i can get my money back.  The problem is that the door got damaged badly when the wind caught it as i was removing it, so i might have to get the manager involved with that claim.   :-\

Honorable mention to Ritchies Building Supplies for not only having the proper door in stock, but for also having it tagged and waiting for me when i arrived.  I was in and out of there within 10 minutes.  Always great service and knowledgeable people there!   :thumbup:

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4478 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:04 am »
Honorable mention to Ritchies Building Supplies for not only having the proper door in stock, but for also having it tagged and waiting for me when i arrived.  I was in and out of there within 10 minutes.  Always great service and knowledgeable people there!   :thumbup:

Unfortunately I can't say the same about the Fredericton store. Was shopping for flooring a few years ago and they weren't helpful at all.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4479 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:12 pm »
Just purchased this for my expansion as the new international keg delivery vehicle.   :rofl2: :rofl2:

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing