Author Topic: A half hour with a Crosstrek  (Read 4761 times)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
A half hour with a Crosstrek
« on: June 29, 2015, 04:46:47 pm »
As I am on vacation, I decided to take a new car for a spin (after all, what else does one do on while on vacation?  ;D).  I have a few on my list and today was the number one choice:  the Subaru Crosstrek.

The version they had me try was the Sport version (without the tech package).  As it had no tech package, there was no Eyesight to test, although I had no intention of invoking the system even if it had been installed.  As a side note, it is possible to get the Eyesight option as a free upgrade without the full tech package.  I found that out today.

The entry to the car felt at a reasonable height to both me and my girlfriend.  That is saying something as I am coming from a Sorento and she from a Civic.  That tells me that they hit the sweet spot in ground clearance, between being high enough to be useful and low enough that you don't feel like you are climbing into the car.  The rear hatch opened with a slight touch to a fully rubberized button.  The cargo space itself is huge and best of all, a real spare tire.  It is not a full sized spare but at least it's not one of those "repair kits" favoured by many manufacturers.

The controls were well laid out, with everything in reach.  I did not have time to familiarize myself with everything but the system is intuitive enough that navigating the onscreen centre console display was a breeze, for example.  Visibility is very good to excellent on all sides, with the little triangle windows on the driver and front passenger sides making up nicely for the thick 'A' pillars.  The cloth seats were very comfortable.

The drive was fairly revealing.  The acceleration was good but not as strong as I would have liked in an ideal situation.  Still, I got the impression that it could get me out of - or into - traffic as needed.  The suspension was able to soak up the bumps in our roads better than either the Sorento or the Civic could.  This is no doubt partly due to the car being new but the rest I put down to the marriage of the size/weight of the car and the type of suspension.  Cornering is excellent.  There are a few switchback roads in Montreal that occur near the top of Westmount and the car handled them with ease.  Braking was also good.

The climate control worked quite well too, at least on a par with what I have, if not better.  Quiet and efficient, it had at least the front of the car cooled in a few minutes.  Of course, it isn't exactly hot here today but it is quite humid.

Just for fun, I turned on the full headlights to see the difference.  As they illuminated the rear of the grey Focus in front me, the change was apparent immediately between the yellow of the DRL lights and the paper white of the Xenon's or even how I know my standard halogens look in our two cars.  Gotta love those HID lights.

All in all, it is still at the top of my list.  I have to try a couple more but given the price points of all them, even the simpler FWD cars on my list, I think it will be hard to knock the Crosstrek out of first place.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: A half hour with a Crosstrek
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:00:36 pm »
Subaru's worked hard in the last little while to improve some things that really hurt them in terms of selling to non-Scoob-fanbois.

1. Fuel economy.  While the 2.5L Imprezas had lots of power, they drank gas like an SUV.  The new 2.0L has quite a few less HP, but vastly better fuel economy.

2. Interior materials.  The Imprezas were "okay" but always around last place in the segment - they spent their money on adding AWD.  With Toyota's help in decreasing production costs, Subaru has given us better interiors and AWD at competitive prices.

3. HVAC systems - Subaru systems were "adequate."  Now they're on par with other makes in all their models.

Things that have continued and we still love:

Subaru's boxer drivelines give great ground clearance with low CG - excellent handling.

Subaru has paid close attention to outward visibility with most of their models.  Even the super low BR-Z has good outward vision for a swoopy sports-car thing.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »
We remain happy with ours at 23,000 km's
I wouldn't go so far to say it's fun to drive, but... it does have an eager to please nature and feels well screwed together. No rattles/squeaks anywhere.  It is one of those 'the sum is greater than its parts' things.

Its best feature is no doubt the awd - it is a winter beast, especially wearing blizzaks. Super confident in crap weather. 

My main complaint isn't a lack of power (though there are times I wish it had a bit more) but the road noise.  There's a lot.
I'd also be happier with a conventional automatic rather than the CVT, but that CVT does seem to aid in fuel consumption (which is very good).  There are times when the CVT falls on it's face and is slow to respond.
The touchscreen in ours is frustrating to use and the Bluetooth etc is uh... not so good.  I think the '15's are better (?)

It is an honest and solid little rig - and I think is a great value. 

Would buy one again today if shopping, but the CX3 would be tough competition.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:58:41 pm »
Isn't the Crosstrek quite a bit larger than the CX3?
Yeah, it probably is, but the CX5 is quite a bit bigger, so might be the CX3 is closer.  Dunno.

And, forgot to mention earlier, in my August MotorTrend they have a small CUV review where the Crosstrek comes out on top, besting the new CX3 and HRV

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:13:41 pm »
Grabbed my mag - here's the tape measure on the CX3, HRV and Crosstrek:

CX3:

Width: 59.9"
Wheelbase: 101.2"
Length:  168.3"

HRV:

Width: 60.6"
Wheelbase: 102.8"
Length:  169.1"

Crosstrek:

Width: 60.0"
Wheelbase: 103.7"
Length:  175.2"

So yeah - the Crosstrek is bigger.  Just hammers home for me that it is 'goldilocks' size.  Smaller than the CX5/CRV, but bigger than the CX3/HRV/Trax etc...
We likely would have ruled out the CX3 as being too small.
Surprised me as well the HRV is bigger than the Mazda

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 09:18:30 pm »
Hard to beat the CX-3 in the looks department - to me it's one of the best looking vehicles on the market.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:26:09 pm »
Hard to beat the CX-3 in the looks department - to me it's one of the best looking vehicles on the market.

+1 on that!  It is a looker. 

Random, do you plan on testing the CX-3 and HRV?  I'd be interest in your impressions and how they compare.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
And, forgot to mention earlier, in my August MotorTrend they have a small CUV review where the Crosstrek comes out on top, besting the new CX3 and HRV
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1506_the_big_test_2015_2016_subcompact_crossovers/

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:30 pm »
As a side note, it is possible to get the Eyesight option as a free upgrade without the full tech package.  I found that out today.

Can you elaborate on this?

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
A half hour with a Crosstrek
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:41:35 am »

As a side note, it is possible to get the Eyesight option as a free upgrade without the full tech package.  I found that out today.

Can you elaborate on this?

I wish I had the presence of mind to ask about that little gem at the time but alas, like so many such moments in a test drive, I did not follow up.  One is wrapped up in the moment of driving the thing that one forgets.  :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk