Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Suburban  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Suburban
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:10 am »

The 2015 Chevrolet Suburban keeps GM strong in the traditional large SUV segment, now a niche serving mostly those with substantial passenger, towing and cargo needs.

Read More...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Re: First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Suburban
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:49:58 am »
"Fully 55 percent of Suburban buyers have children in the household..."

Is that supposed to be a high percentage or something?  Seriously, is it any higher than the figure for mid-size sedans, or small crossovers, or - heaven forbid - minivans? I imagine those categories would all be higher than 55%...

That means 45% of Suburban buyers DO NOT have children in the household, which to me would be the real statistic of interest!  Who are these 45% of buyers?  Construction firms? Livery agencies? Farmers? Rap stars? Or just single people/childless couples who want to drive the biggest possible vehicle?

Otherwise I think this is a nice evolution of a now-niche vehicle.  Personally I'd still prefer a hemi Durango - minor loss in space and towing capacity, but still far more than most people would need, and with a significantly smaller footprint.  And if you need more capacity than that - say, serious towing like a heavy horse trailer or construction equipment - the extra 600 lbs of towing capacity in the Suburban isn't sufficient anyway.  But is the 3/4 tonne suburban still available?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:07:58 am »
A proper family SUV. Real 4x4, real towing capability, seats 7, lots of cargo room, lots of power.....I like these. Now come on GM, gimme a Duramax/Allison comboon the 2500 model, it will be perfect for the wife  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:12:22 am »

Is that supposed to be a high percentage or something?  Seriously, is it any higher than the figure for mid-size sedans, or small crossovers, or - heaven forbid - minivans? I imagine those categories would all be higher than 55%...

That means 45% of Suburban buyers DO NOT have children in the household, which to me would be the real statistic of interest!  Who are these 45% of buyers?  Construction firms? Livery agencies? Farmers? Rap stars? Or just single people/childless couples who want to drive the biggest possible vehicle?

Otherwise I think this is a nice evolution of a now-niche vehicle.  Personally I'd still prefer a hemi Durango - minor loss in space and towing capacity, but still far more than most people would need, and with a significantly smaller footprint.  And if you need more capacity than that - say, serious towing like a heavy horse trailer or construction equipment - the extra 600 lbs of towing capacity in the Suburban isn't sufficient anyway.  But is the 3/4 tonne suburban still available?
I thought it was only helicopter pilots who own them ;D

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:49:53 am »

I thought it was only helicopter pilots who own them ;D

Yeah, that's it. The other 45% is childless helicopter pilots who tow trailers and like to be able to carry four passengers and still have room in the back for a big dog (in a crate) and lots of stuff. :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »
For the footprint, they don't have especially good interior room. The soon to be replaced Expedition XL has more space in the rear due to the independent rear suspension. Even the Durango isn't that far behind, for the same reason.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
I've yet to spend much time in a 2015 Sub, but I'm going to rent one for the weekend soon! Good to see reviewers and owners alike are seeing good fuel economy numbers out of the new gen Sub/Yukon's. To me there's absolutely no vehicle that comes close in terms of overall utility. Durango is roomy, but nowhere close to the Sub in cargo area behind the 3rd row, gets no better fuel economy, and lacks the outright towing ability the Sub has (partly due to the independent rear) Suburbans have also proven to be extremely dependable vehicles.

I think the physical size may be their only downfall, some folks aren't comfortable driving such a large beast. Other than that the perfect family vehicle imo.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:03:33 pm »
Really the size is not an issue if you been driving a large vehicle for years

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »
I drove a 2500 series Suburban for many years in the FDNY...A lot of that includes going from dead cold, out the door at to the floor levels of acceleration, for many miles and many years...Over a period of about 15 years (several different years) I experienced only one problem with any of them...It was the late 80's, early 90's models and the tranny..After about 25-30,000 miles they would shift very hard...VERY hard..and the only solution was to replace the tranny..I believe the Chevy pick-ups of those years had the same problem.The early 80's models had 350 4 barrel engines...next up the diesels, which up til the late 90's, were un-turbo charged and really gutless.That all changed when GM dropped the turbo-diesel in the Suburban..The last one we got before I retired in '99 was really a revelation...I loved it...Those were great cars..I assume they still are.   I wonder...Do they still make that turbo-diesel?  Thanks   Jack

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 05:16:30 pm »
I'll take mine in black, FBI style.  O0

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:02:26 pm »
I remember these being offered in 2500 and 3500 work truck trim levels.  Looking at the GM Canada web site, all I see is 1500 level, even on the commercial side.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:09:16 am »
I remember these being offered in 2500 and 3500 work truck trim levels.  Looking at the GM Canada web site, all I see is 1500 level, even on the commercial side.

Don't think there was ever a 3500 Suburban but yes the 2500 models have been around forever. I don't think they plan on having a 2500 in this generation.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:22:16 pm »

Don't think there was ever a 3500 Suburban but yes the 2500 models have been around forever. I don't think they plan on having a 2500 in this generation.

I was pretty sure they were sold as 1 ton trucks...but I'm going on memory here.  God knows my memory can be pretty crappy at times (at least that's what I think my wife tells me sometimes  ;D)

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »

I was pretty sure they were sold as 1 ton trucks...but I'm going on memory here.  God knows my memory can be pretty crappy at times (at least that's what I think my wife tells me sometimes  ;D)

There were companies that would convert the 2500 models to effectively be 3500 duallys.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:42:49 am »
I've yet to spend much time in a 2015 Sub, but I'm going to rent one for the weekend soon! Good to see reviewers and owners alike are seeing good fuel economy numbers out of the new gen Sub/Yukon's. To me there's absolutely no vehicle that comes close in terms of overall utility. Durango is roomy, but nowhere close to the Sub in cargo area behind the 3rd row, gets no better fuel economy, and lacks the outright towing ability the Sub has (partly due to the independent rear) Suburbans have also proven to be extremely dependable vehicles.

I think the physical size may be their only downfall, some folks aren't comfortable driving such a large beast. Other than that the perfect family vehicle imo.

Consumer Reports measured 10 more cubic feet is cargo capacity for the Expedition XL (72.5ft3) compared to the new Suburban (62.5ft3)

The Suburban has more third row shoulder room, but the Expedition is within an inch in the rest of the interior dimensions.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Suburban
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 05:55:01 pm »

Consumer Reports measured 10 more cubic feet is cargo capacity for the Expedition XL (72.5ft3) compared to the new Suburban (62.5ft3)

The Suburban has more third row shoulder room, but the Expedition is within an inch in the rest of the interior dimensions.

I find GM made the 2nd row huge compared to my older sub, I imagine that's where the missing cargo space went. 

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

I find GM made the 2nd row huge compared to my older sub, I imagine that's where the missing cargo space went.

There's also that ridiculous raised load floor in the back of the new Suburban. That would account for more than a few cubic feet.