Author Topic: The money thread  (Read 510313 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: The money thread
« Reply #1200 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »
They also give venture loans.  Or at times they give you money with an expectation of getting their money back and some profit via a percentage of sales.   Like you give them 50 cents for every beer sold until they get their money back or 2 or 3 times it or whatever.

Lots of different ways.   But if you have never seen the show,  don't understand evaluation or how the investment could benefit them,  you'll get ripped apart.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1201 on: February 26, 2015, 09:40:40 pm »
Now that Snowman has dropped down to VW from Audis and Porsches, he could likely fund whatever you have in mind!  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1202 on: February 26, 2015, 09:50:22 pm »
I guess my biggest issue that I have personally is that I've built my business all on my own with blood, sweat, and tears over countless hours.  I'd be nervous having other parties involved in my business and potentially telling me how to run it.  It's new territory for me, so I just want to be cautious.  On the flip side, some investment money would certainly help as well.   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1203 on: February 26, 2015, 09:51:19 pm »
Now that Snowman has dropped down to VW from Audis and Porsches, he could likely fund whatever you have in mind!  ;D

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:53 pm »
I guess my biggest issue that I have personally is that I've built my business all on my own with blood, sweat, and tears over countless hours.  I'd be nervous having other parties involved in my business and potentially telling me how to run it.  It's new territory for me, so I just want to be cautious.  On the flip side, some investment money would certainly help as well.   ;D

Canuck...there was a local brewery who did a local crowdfunding here.  Depending on the level funded, you got some swag, or a beer tasting, etc  It literally sold out within hours...and the brewery was able to fund their project.

Sadly..I can't remember the fine details.

But maybe some local crowd funding?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1205 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:38 pm »

:rofl2: Laugh all you want but Vman makes a good point. I would be interested for sure and others would as well  :) Stay away from them blood suckers on the Den, they are only interested in helping themselves.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1206 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:22 pm »

:rofl2: Laugh all you want but Vman makes a good point. I would be interested for sure and others would as well  :) Stay away from them blood suckers on the Den, they are only interested in helping themselves.

Always good to know, and I appreciate it.  Business plan is done and I've been working with my CPA on financial projections and will be taking it to BDC within two weeks or so to see what my funding options are. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:34 pm »

I'm like Snowman.

You're old and miserable too?   :rofl:

Northernridge

« Reply #1208 on: February 26, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »
Canuck, if you're really thinking about raising capital then you need professional help. There are clear options available that you can learn about but you need an adviser who's done this for real. Incorporation is a must and you can plan to retain control via issuing say class A voting shares (all of which you own) and class B non-voting share which you can issue to investors, etc. I'm not an expert on this stuff but have hired them several times. My advice is to hire the best experts you can afford and to think 5-10 years out and beyond when you make structural decisions so you don't outgrow your own structure in 1 or 2 years.

You may need to do other things like registering your name across Canada (maybe your main products too) and begin the trademarking process (which is national), etc.

D-Den is just a TV entertainment gig, visit the pros.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #1209 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:26 pm »
As a marketer, do you see any value in the National exposure by getting aired on Dragons Den?

Northernridge

« Reply #1210 on: February 26, 2015, 11:47:39 pm »
As a marketer, do you see any value in the National exposure by getting aired on Dragons Den?

None. The people on that program generally come across as half-baked home businesses who are hard to take seriously. The nature of the program also makes it impossible for them to control their own message – bad for the brand.

I don't know Canuck's business but if meaningful expansion is the plan I'd want to understand the distribution strategy (e.g. I'd start with the assumption that there are at least some common practices used successfully by other micro breweries). The small, start-up manufacturers that I've worked with all hard to work out a distribution approach in order to grow.

Northernridge

« Reply #1211 on: February 26, 2015, 11:50:44 pm »
Also, Canuck if you really want those yahoos on DD to invest in your business, phone them directly. I'm sure any one of them would be willing talk to you. You have an excellent story.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1212 on: February 27, 2015, 06:14:48 am »
Canuck, if you're really thinking about raising capital then you need professional help. There are clear options available that you can learn about but you need an adviser who's done this for real. Incorporation is a must and you can plan to retain control via issuing say class A voting shares (all of which you own) and class B non-voting share which you can issue to investors, etc. I'm not an expert on this stuff but have hired them several times. My advice is to hire the best experts you can afford and to think 5-10 years out and beyond when you make structural decisions so you don't outgrow your own structure in 1 or 2 years.

You may need to do other things like registering your name across Canada (maybe your main products too) and begin the trademarking process (which is national), etc.

Good advice!  Shane I also don't believe you would have to look beyond the forum for investment.  Lots of believers here on this forum... :hello:  Personally I would like nothing more than to invest in a promising local business.  DD is more like Entrepeneur Idol and although there are a few gems that have come along most are like amature hour and there more for entertainment value than potential businesses.  Not sure how you would benefit from that.  :-\

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 27, 2015, 07:58:14 am »

None. The people on that program generally come across as half-baked home businesses who are hard to take seriously. The nature of the program also makes it impossible for them to control their own message – bad for the brand.

I don't know Canuck's business but if meaningful expansion is the plan I'd want to understand the distribution strategy (e.g. I'd start with the assumption that there are at least some common practices used successfully by other micro breweries). The small, start-up manufacturers that I've worked with all hard to work out a distribution approach in order to grow.

If Shane already has great beer (which he does I've tasted it), won awards (he has), is passionate (he is), has a unique brand (he does), all he needs to do is get the sales going and start getting it out there. Step one I imagine. To keep up demand he would eventually need to move out of his house and that is where he is going to need that investment money.

Lots of good craft beer out there which would be the tough part about breaking in but there are always ways to differentiate yourself both through product and marketing.

Agreed on the product and unique branding.

I was just wanting NR's take on Advertising since often time people say "any publicity is good publicity" and so on. But the message control thing was the element I wasn't considering.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 27, 2015, 08:46:35 am »
I didn't misunderstand, but Shane's stuff is so good I always have to second praise for it  ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1215 on: February 27, 2015, 09:06:44 am »

Listen to this guy.

If you have an emotional attachment to your business then you will always want full control, but your business may suffer because of this.  Personally I would look for an exit strategy (as will any VC) and plan for 5-10 years, no further.  To fund that you would need to sell 30%-50% of your business.  VC's don't care about your business, they care about making money, and by doing that well they also make you money too.  What you need is funding, and expertise.  There are a ton of other craft beer companies out there, you need help with getting your message about why you are different across.  Plus a hand up in national distribution wouldn't go amiss.

I speak from experience.  My current holding co. also owns a privately funded craft beer co.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1216 on: February 27, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
BTW... if it wasn't mentioned already....
they've had a micro brewery on the Den before.

They turned it down.   (not the greatest brewery) but the reason was "a competitive market they see will be hard for them to make money"

I would imagine you're better than the Den.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1217 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:32 am »
BTW... if it wasn't mentioned already....
they've had a micro brewery on the Den before.

They turned it down.   (not the greatest brewery) but the reason was "a competitive market they see will be hard for them to make money"

I would imagine you're better than the Den.

The Den doesn't matter, the market is the same for everyone.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1218 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:20 am »
What makes me laugh about the Den is that if any of them would have to pitch their original business plans today on the show they would get the thumbs down. Its all about the risk baby.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1219 on: February 27, 2015, 08:13:35 pm »
Thanks for the posts and input everyone.  Like I mentioned in my original post, I have no intentions on seeking out anything from DD.  I've had a number of people asking if they could invest in my business, which is great as they see the great potential in what I'm doing, but for now I'm aiming to do this all on my own.  I'd rather keep it my own business like it is now that doesn't have to answer to anyone except myself.  Hoping to get a lot of the financials nailed down in the next few weeks.