Author Topic: GM Reveals New Silverado and Sierra  (Read 13237 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
GM Reveals New Silverado and Sierra
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:05 am »

Chevrolet today unveiled the all-new 2014 Silverado 1500 full-size pickup. New from hood to hitch, Silverado is engineered to be the strongest, smartest, and most capable Silverado ever.
Read More...

Northernridge

Re: GM Reveals New Silverado and Sierra
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
First impressions...you guys mistakenly posted exterior pictures of the old Silverado and interior photos of an unsuccessful early Ram prototype.

Come on, show us the real 2014 Silverado.

Please.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:12 am »
Yay, just what the pickup market needed - another truck with a "power dome" hood, making forward visibility even worse.  Why can't trucks, of all vehicles, have function-over-form styling?

The rear bumper side-step is neat, but I wonder how much that wil increase fender-bender costs.  Maybe GM will stop making fun of Ford's tailgate step now...

Interested in seeing the new engine specs when released.  The 4.3L V6 could be interesting (never thought I'd say that, with the lacklustre history of the previous 4.3L V6) - if they can do 300HP/300 TQ at low(ish) rpms. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:17:36 am »
Come on GM....are you on purpose making your trucks more and more metrosexual?!?!!?!?!?!? What the hell happened to steel bumpers, I mean christ, one small excursion into deep snow and that pretty front bumper+fog lights are gone. The mirrors are too small for towing, the front end is too low to the ground and the rims belong in a Dr. Dre video. Sigh.....  :(  :'(
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:23:22 am »
Good for GM. All these changes may put them ahead of the segment. Great looking interiors, "properly" hinged ext.cab doors and DI engines are very welcome. Their 5.3L was already ahead of the game in FE and now it should improve that even further on top of higher output.
I also dig the front on the GMC. Very masculine and in line with those notoriously square fenders. Can't wait to see the specs now  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:33:43 am »
I'm interested in the 4.3 L V6.  I loved my parents Safari and have a soft spot in my heart.  Now, to find a late model, non-rust edition, swap in the new DI 4.3 L V6...

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:01 pm »
I'm interested in the 4.3 L V6.  I loved my parents Safari and have a soft spot in my heart.  Now, to find a late model, non-rust edition, swap in the new DI 4.3 L V6...

Uncle had a Sonoma with that engine and a 5-speed. Scary (awesome) little truck.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »
Wow, awesome looking truck, not drastic but just right.  Great interior, I'm a fan.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »

Wow Mike, after driving an Astrovan years ago (work vehicle), there is no "soft spot" in my heart for that vehicle...though I guess in hindsight the engine was OK (but not easy on gas).

Or do you remember it fondly from your teenage years?  "Hey Dad, can I borrow the Safari to go cruising the streets...(and maybe make use of the extensive rear cargo area?)"  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:23 pm »
Too soon to comment on the mechanical improvements, but as far as looks, I prefer the old truck. That new instrument panel is just terrible: what a disaster after the clean dash of the last-gen model.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:16 pm »
I agree that the dash/IP looks too busy.  It seems that in an effort to make it appear beefy, it has become cluttered. 

The outside looks great, an evolution of the current gen.  That front lip/plastic spoiler is very low as Fobroader mentioned.  It'll be ripped off in no time, as long as the truck gets off the pavement once in a while.

Looking forward to the engine numbers.  It would be nice to see 350hp/350tq out of the 5.3.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »

What are those, 22"  ;) Like I said, the GMC looks great IMO.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:54:13 pm by EV Dan »

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 12:46:12 pm »
Too soon to comment on the mechanical improvements, but as far as looks, I prefer the old truck. That new instrument panel is just terrible: what a disaster after the clean dash of the last-gen model.

Agree. The last gen was very nice and aged surprisingly well. I've liked the interior on the higher end models.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »
The engines should be a great step up. I mean the current 5.3 gets great fuel mileage so I can only think this will do better. Its that they made the exterior of it meant for urban cowboys, I need a truck truck, you know, bedliner, tow mirrors, skidplates, ground clearance, bed tiedowns, vinyl floor kind of truck. I dont mind the looks of it, but it looks fragile. 

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »
Come on GM....are you on purpose making your trucks more and more metrosexual?!?!!?!?!?!? What the hell happened to steel bumpers, I mean christ, one small excursion into deep snow and that pretty front bumper+fog lights are gone. The mirrors are too small for towing, the front end is too low to the ground and the rims belong in a Dr. Dre video. Sigh.....  :(  :'(

Good point. I'm amazed how often I see pickup bumpers crumpled in from what was obviously a very slow speed impact. Truck (all?) bumpers have become purely aesthetic.

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 12:50:39 pm »

What are those, 22"  ;) Like I said, looks great IMO.

Nice image of the new and old GMC truck. It does look quite good but I'd have preferred an attempt at some design innovation.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55:00 pm »

Good point. I'm amazed how often I see pickup bumpers crumpled in from what was obviously a very slow speed impact. Truck (all?) bumpers have become purely aesthetic.

These are the bumpers Im looking at for my truck, I love them.  ;D Can bounce subcompacts off without a scratch.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 12:57:35 pm »

These are the bumpers Im looking at for my truck, I love them.  ;D Can bounce subcompacts off without a scratch.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Do it. Almost bought them for the Dodge way back when.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:03 pm »

Burbsexual  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:37 pm »

Burbsexual  ;D

Let me guess, you pulled a u-turn in a gravel parking lot in your FJ once and now are an expert on what equipment is nice to have when travelling off of paved roads?