Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
« on: June 26, 2014, 06:28:28 am »

Can a turbo and some cannons help Hyundai's economical, um' hatchback get more exciting?

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:03:53 am »
have driven one, was not too impressed vs. my old MINI or my friend's GTI.

Hyundai had the recipe for a proper hot hatch, and then made it lukewarm and sour. Bleh.

At least it is funky looking.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:27 am »
I did not the realize these cost $28500 before tax... Like the article has said,  there are a lot of better options that cost similar or cheaper...
Maybe Hyundai is putting lots of incentives on this car because I see a lots of them in markham and Toronto...

tapatalk

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:43:55 am »
have driven one, was not too impressed vs. my old MINI or my friend's GTI.

Hyundai had the recipe for a proper hot hatch, and then made it lukewarm and sour. Bleh.

At least it is funky looking.

This is what Ive heard about this car, the room temperature hot hatch....but yeah, it stands out.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:07:41 pm »
I did not the realize these cost $28500 before tax...

I added the automatic option to the Turbo using Hyundai's build and price - $30,372.15.  My C30 was about $2000 more.  I don't have leather, driving lights, back-up camera, or navigation, plus the Hyundai has one more gear, but I do have one more cylinder, 26 more hp, and 41 more lb/ft of torque, plus a higher-quality feeling interior.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:10:33 pm »
Looks cool but I can't imagine choosing this over a Fiesta ST or the now-cheaper Mini Cooper S.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »
I'm waiting for the Forte5 turbo review... couldn't get over the big mouth billy bass looks of this one.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:25 pm »
I added the automatic option to the Turbo using Hyundai's build and price - $30,372.15.  My C30 was about $2000 more.  I don't have leather, driving lights, back-up camera, or navigation, plus the Hyundai has one more gear, but I do have one more cylinder, 26 more hp, and 41 more lb/ft of torque, plus a higher-quality feeling interior.
Interesting.  You actually made me prefer the Hyundai over the Volvo.

Then again, my badge snobbery brings me back to Volvo.  Hyundais have to stop having the perception of "cheap" and I'm not sure how they will do that without splitting into separate luxury and mainstream divisions.

Offline naydek

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Veloster Turbo, 2015 Santa Fe XL
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:17 pm »
Bought exactly the same color and fully loaded about a month ago and loving every second of it... Here is why:

Last month we were choosing between Nirmo RS, Fiesta ST and Veloster Turbo.
We (me) wanted a fun-to-drive car (around 200hp, manual), not a killer on gas, still comfortable (nice seats, good sound, sunroof) and occasional seating for 4 (we have a 2 and a 5 yr old).
Overall, Nismo RS was the worst of the bunch... Those "amazing" seats didn't feel that great, especially getting in and out. You end up sitting relatively high and have to "climb" in or out over the bottom bolsters, which are quite hard. I will agree that if you are inside and somehow manage to drive with eyes closed (I should have tried that, Al Pacino style...), then it is great! Steering wheel does feel nice, shifts are precise and the engine does what's expected (well, what I was expecting; but so do the other two). But then you open your eyes (so much for Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade) and you see how cheap interior is, how easily plastic surfaces get scratched up (my watch scratched the door panel trying to adjust the seat) and then how little room there is in the trunk (granted, more than Fiesta ST).
So that was a NO for us.
Fiesta ST was much nicer inside (and outside), but lack of room in the back seat (my 2 year old had to wrap her legs around the seat in front of her) and neither my wife nor I being able to find a comfortable seating position (she is 5'5 and 120lbs, I'm 6'2 and 180 lbs) gave Fiesta ST a boot as well.
And then came Hyundai Veloster Turbo... An underdog in our books initially (c'mon, 3 doors? is there a trunk? family sports(ish) car? can't be!) but after a 2 month wait to try (and buy the same day) a manual model - we fell in love! It did everything that we were looking for; most comfortable seats, most room in the back (or as much as NISMO RS), large enough trunk (actually did a Costco run to try it out; larger that Nismo and much larger than Fiesta), lots of cool tech stuff,  great daily fun driver with good fuel economy... let's just say it brings a smile to our faces every time you push the gas pedal.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:32 pm »
I'm waiting for the Forte5 turbo review... couldn't get over the big mouth billy bass looks of this one.

You're in luck - I'm driving it this week.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:37 pm »
Interesting.  You actually made me prefer the Hyundai over the Volvo.

Then again, my badge snobbery brings me back to Volvo.  Hyundais have to stop having the perception of "cheap" and I'm not sure how they will do that without splitting into separate luxury and mainstream divisions.

When I bought my C30 it was one of the last two 2013s in Ottawa.  The dealership had knocked $5000 of the price, I also got a set of winter tires on steelies with Volvo wheel covers, 0% interest for 5 years, plus the remainder of Volvo's 5-year free oil-changes, brake work, and windshield wipers deal (the car had been registered by the dealer and used as a customer courtesy vehicle, hence the discounted price). 

I had also test-driven the Veloster Turbo and was quite impressed with it.  Had the car I wound up buying or the other C30 been sold during the week or so I spent weighing my options, I would have happily headed to a Hyundai dealer and picked up a Veloster Turbo.  As similar as they are, the Volvo is a class above, and you can feel it in the weight and the stability of the vehicle - it just feels more solid and substantial.  I used to own a '93 850 GLT and driving the C30 doesn't feel much different (in all the right ways) than driving its larger ancestor.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:56:52 pm by Scaerio »

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 03:02:25 pm »
  It's interesting Mark mentions the Forte5 with the same engine. I've been waiting for quite a while to test drive one, seems it's not going to happen. The Guelph dealer tells me they won't be getting any...period. They said there might be some in 2015 but Canada is only 2% of the world market for Kia so there is limited chance of even that happening. A bit frustrating as seeing the car at the auto show revealed at very well finished car and my Mazda 3 GT does come with a manual anymore and she's getting on and ready for replacement.

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »
I did not the realize these cost $28500 before tax...

...and style. The C30 is the looker between the two.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 03:25:06 pm »
  It's interesting Mark mentions the Forte5 with the same engine. I've been waiting for quite a while to test drive one, seems it's not going to happen. The Guelph dealer tells me they won't be getting any...period. They said there might be some in 2015 but Canada is only 2% of the world market for Kia so there is limited chance of even that happening. A bit frustrating as seeing the car at the auto show revealed at very well finished car and my Mazda 3 GT does come with a manual anymore and she's getting on and ready for replacement.

Mazda 3 GT manual will be back for '15 apparently.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:55 pm »
I have a really hard time thinking someone would buy this for $30k....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 04:27:31 pm »
Fack, if it weren't for the Focus and GTi the hatch segment would be dead IMO.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 12:29:01 am »
Fack, if it weren't for the Focus and GTi the hatch segment would be dead IMO.
the new Forte5 Turbo is a pretty good car too.

they liked it over at MotoringTV:

http://motoringtv.com/episodes/motoring-2014/episode-12-motoring-2014/?cur=4055

the only slip up in the video is they quote the 0-60 and 80-120 times for the non-turbo model.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:34:33 am by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 01:44:41 am »
Bought exactly the same color and fully loaded about a month ago and loving every second of it... Here is why:

Last month we were choosing between Nirmo RS, Fiesta ST and Veloster Turbo.
We (me) wanted a fun-to-drive car (around 200hp, manual), not a killer on gas, still comfortable (nice seats, good sound, sunroof) and occasional seating for 4 (we have a 2 and a 5 yr old).
Overall, Nismo RS was the worst of the bunch... Those "amazing" seats didn't feel that great, especially getting in and out. You end up sitting relatively high and have to "climb" in or out over the bottom bolsters, which are quite hard. I will agree that if you are inside and somehow manage to drive with eyes closed (I should have tried that, Al Pacino style...), then it is great! Steering wheel does feel nice, shifts are precise and the engine does what's expected (well, what I was expecting; but so do the other two). But then you open your eyes (so much for Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade) and you see how cheap interior is, how easily plastic surfaces get scratched up (my watch scratched the door panel trying to adjust the seat) and then how little room there is in the trunk (granted, more than Fiesta ST).
So that was a NO for us.
Fiesta ST was much nicer inside (and outside), but lack of room in the back seat (my 2 year old had to wrap her legs around the seat in front of her) and neither my wife nor I being able to find a comfortable seating position (she is 5'5 and 120lbs, I'm 6'2 and 180 lbs) gave Fiesta ST a boot as well.
And then came Hyundai Veloster Turbo... An underdog in our books initially (c'mon, 3 doors? is there a trunk? family sports(ish) car? can't be!) but after a 2 month wait to try (and buy the same day) a manual model - we fell in love! It did everything that we were looking for; most comfortable seats, most room in the back (or as much as NISMO RS), large enough trunk (actually did a Costco run to try it out; larger that Nismo and much larger than Fiesta), lots of cool tech stuff,  great daily fun driver with good fuel economy... let's just say it brings a smile to our faces every time you push the gas pedal.

Good work finding the right car for your needs - the Veloster sounds like a perfect fit!

I hear you about the Nismo seats - those bolsters got me every time. But once in them, I thought they were fantastic.

How do you feel about the Veloster's steering/handling and the how it puts power down to the ground? I wonder if it was the tires, but I thought it really struggled coming out of corners and putting power down.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:41 am »
Can I just say - again - that Hyundai is NUTS not to offer this engine in the Elantra?  I can?  Thanks, I feel better now.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »
Can I just say - again - that Hyundai is NUTS not to offer this engine in the Elantra?  I can?  Thanks, I feel better now.

You think there's some sort of directive there from HQ to not do so?  My speculation would be that since is Kia is using it for the "sporty" Forte, Hyundai is "discouraged" from using it in the not-so-sporty Elantra.  I know H/K are, in theory, separate companies which are supposed to compete head-to-head, but hmmmm......

Using it in the Veloster turbo is OK, but not a direct competitor to the Kia line-up.  Likewise, why isn't this engine offered in the Soul?
But I've also said the same thing, many times, about Nissan not using their 1.6T from the Juke in the Sentra (or Versa)