Author Topic: Auto Tech: New Lexus HMI System  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: New Lexus HMI System
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:09:40 am »

Bye bye twitchy mouse, hello touchpad.

Read More...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Auto Tech: New Lexus HMI System
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:29 am »
The HMI most people are familiar with is touchscreen on their tablets and smartphones. This is more akin to the touchpad on laptops, which I find pretty clunky. I still prefer UConnect's large touchscreen.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:49:20 am »
the pinch zoom for nav i do love... but the rest of this seems to be less user friendly.

i know i'm biased.. but the uconnect really is just so simple. i feel like the lux brands have to make theirs more difficult so they the drivers feel like they are special and a part of a select few who actually understand the features.

just had a guy trade in his benz... he didn't know he had nav. he got frustrated with the system and just left it on the main screen and never used all it's functions.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:38 pm »
I really like the sound of the touchpad, though the haptic feedback isn't necessary given how that has gone the way of capacitive.

In any event, I'm a little perturbed that Lexus is offering the touchpad only on higher trims.  Why bother designing two systems?!  Nickel and diming, as per usual.  I really want to own another Lexus, but the paying just never stops.