Author Topic: COTU Millenial  (Read 10834 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: COTU Millenial
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 05:06:59 pm »
I'll admit I quickly read through the article but did it say that his parents are not happy?

So if the parents are more than happy with this arrangement, what is the big deal?

They might be happy but they are raising (raised?) a bit of a spoiled brat (IMHO of course). Certainly within their rights to do so I suppose. Not sure if the author understands that not everyone can have life he is selling as the ideal due to the fact that his parents are heavily subsidizing him.

Just playing devil's advocate here but is he spoiled? Sure the article paints a pretty good picture of this but lets face it, would the article get publish if they told you about the $10K/yr the guy donates to charities and the countless hours he volunteers?

More about a guy that spends a lot of money trying to live large.

I'll admit a stopped reading when he was going on and on about expensive booze. Like John said - different values. I doubt I'd have much in common with him if we met randomly at an event.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »
I suppose what I find so off-putting to me personally is the underlying tone that drinking an expensive bottle of wine makes him better than me.

If my daughter wrote that I'd feel that I'd completely failed as a parent.   Different value sets, I guess.

Agree but sadly there are a lot of people in the world that already think that way. Booze, clothes, cars, houses, etc.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 06:21:36 pm »
I suppose what I find so off-putting to me personally is the underlying tone that drinking an expensive bottle of wine makes him better than me.

If my daughter wrote that I'd feel that I'd completely failed as a parent.   Different value sets, I guess.

I didn't get the tone from the writer that living large makes him better than me.  To me he was just trying to explain why he chooses to spend money on experiences and the finer things in life rather than own a home. 

I don't see the big deal about the article.  He works, he plays.  Ya, he lives with mom and dad for now but its not like he doesn't realize the expenses of living on his own.  He actually understands that he'd have to give up a lot to do so.  If his parents wanted him to leave, that's another story, but I didn't get that either unless I missed something. 

Not my choice of lifestyle, but again, I don't see the issue.  But I agree, if my boys thought they were better than others because of money they can spend then I would feel I have failed also.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:13:30 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 04:56:28 pm »
if that is the life you choose... fine.

but he is trying to live like he is a multi-millionaire... he is not... that kind of life is not what you should be living on a barely 6 figure salary... he might see it as a choice between that life or a house, but even without a house payment, he is living too large.

good on him for enjoying life, but he really is living a life of affluence to a level he doesn't belong.

i also like him mentioning that they all were trying to pick up girls and they struck out... from the description of the "crew"... most are with significant others... sound like winners.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 07:25:10 pm »

i also like him mentioning that they all were trying to pick up girls and they struck out... from the description of the "crew"... most are with significant others... sound like winners.

^ Yup. This is what stuck out for me in this story. I can’t say I’m terribly bothered by any of his tacky materialism or misplaced priorities. The guy sounds like a complete tool, sure, but that isn't a crime. That said, I do see it as sadly ironic that, in his superficial and materialistic world, where one might argue the ultimate metric for “success” is how many women you can pick up - crass as that is - it sounds like he’s useless. Poor bastard.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:31:45 pm by lebowski »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 06:48:27 am »
I call BS.  "Dear Penthouse Forum:  I have loads of money and no responsibilities, and here's what I do with my free time..."  No pharmacist or other self-respecting healthcare professional would write anything like that nonsense piece of fluff.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 09:10:35 am »
The one thing you guys have missed in all this I think is the comment about real estate. If a nice house in the GTA was $300k instead of $1.5m and interest rates weren't zero (and if the financial crisis hadn't scared people off stocks and scared central banks into this QE baloney etc etc.) then he might well have different priorities.

Remember the whole point of lower rates / ZIRP / NIRP / QE is to get people to spend by making saving less attractive relative to spending. What the hell do you think a well-paid 30 year old urban male is goign to spend on?

Mission accomplished.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 09:17:28 am »
If this guy was smart, move an hour outside of the COTU, he would make the same wage and he could get a place for $350,000

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 09:24:50 am »
He might as a pharmacist but many professions would not. Not to mention that living 1hr outside is not the same life as living inside. Perhaps he likes having a subway pass or a wide variety of excellent ethnic food to choose from. Its not a perfect substitute by any means.

In other words, he could indeed get a place outside for $350k. And do what with it exactly? Simply because it is possible does not make it preferable.

Anyways to all you baby boomers - you are on some level responsible for the situation here ;)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 09:30:15 am »
He might as a pharmacist but many professions would not. Not to mention that living 1hr outside is not the same life as living inside. Perhaps he likes having a subway pass or a wide variety of excellent ethnic food to choose from. Its not a perfect substitute by any means.

In other words, he could indeed get a place outside for $350k. And do what with it exactly? Simply because it is possible does not make it preferable.

Anyways to all you baby boomers - you are on some level responsible for the situation here ;)

Yes.     We moved from downtown TO to Guelph 9 years ago.  I still find it a bit quiet here.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 12:01:18 pm »
and a guy like this will be a clubber... he'll want that nightlife of the big city where a girl he strikes out with one night might never be seen again... fresh start with the people in town for the big city experience!

overall, i have no issues with choices he makes.. i can see the validity in his choices. i just think he is a douche... as in, the epitome of what constitutes a douchebag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 09:58:37 am »
If this guy was smart, move an hour outside of the COTU, he would make the same wage and he could get a place for $350,000

I understand his reasoning for not wanting a two hour commute twice a day just so he can have a white picket fence.  But that shouldn't stop him from trying to rent an apartment or buy a small condo in the middle of a neighbourhood where he wants to live in Toronto and which would still afford him some of the lifestyle he wants to live.  I have no issue with his spending choices per se, but I do find it extremely distasteful that he lets his parents pick up the tab for his living expenses while he lives it up with European trips and expensive nights on the town.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:57 am »

I understand his reasoning for not wanting a two hour commute twice a day just so he can have a white picket fence.  But that shouldn't stop him from trying to rent an apartment or buy a small condo in the middle of a neighbourhood where he wants to live in Toronto and which would still afford him some of the lifestyle he wants to live.  I have no issue with his spending choices per se, but I do find it extremely distasteful that he lets his parents pick up the tab for his living expenses while he lives it up with European trips and expensive nights on the town.

But obviously mommy and daddy are happy with the arrangement, or they wouldn't tolerate it.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 11:05:20 am »
and a guy like this will be a clubber... he'll want that nightlife of the big city where a girl he strikes out with one night might never be seen again... fresh start with the people in town for the big city experience!

overall, i have no issues with choices he makes.. i can see the validity in his choices. i just think he is a douche... as in, the epitome of what constitutes a douchebag.

probably a slightly less of a d-bag than pure trustfund kids though, since he does work.  ;D

and the way big city realestate market's going, a lot of people making less will have to live with their parents for longer.

someone i know, similar age as me, makes about the same as the guy in the article, not yet married, still live with parents.     that's accepted in a lot of cultures.   the strive for independence at young age is kind of north american thing.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:30 am »
Read this last week, definitely an interesting perspective.

First of all, I think his reasoning for not buying real estate in the GTA is fairly sound. However, he seems to be using it as a justification for his lifestyle, which is a stretch.

As for living with his parents, that could very well be a cultural thing and it doesn't make him a moocher. He did say that his parents are immigrants from the Middle East so we don't know exactly what their cultural norms are so I think we should withhold some judgement there.

Expensive booze is simply a hobby. Like with many things, you have to pay to get high quality stuff. I don't think it's a big deal. After all, a lot of people here partake in a very expensive hobby themselves.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:38 am »
I call BS.  "Dear Penthouse Forum:  I have loads of money and no responsibilities, and here's what I do with my free time..."  No pharmacist or other self-respecting healthcare professional would write anything like that nonsense piece of fluff.

Why not? What does the profession have to do with anything? A lot of people can completely separate their personal lives from their professional lives. No reason he isn't doing the same.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 11:40:25 am »

First of all, I think his reasoning for not buying real estate in the GTA is fairly sound. However, he seems to be using it as a justification for his lifestyle, which is a stretch.

As for living with his parents, that could very well be a cultural thing and it doesn't make him a moocher. He did say that his parents are immigrants from the Middle East so we don't know exactly what their cultural norms are so I think we should withhold some judgement there.

Expensive booze is simply a hobby. Like with many things, you have to pay to get high quality stuff. I don't think it's a big deal. After all, a lot of people here partake in a very expensive hobby themselves.

Yes, but only after they've paid for their living expenses.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 11:46:31 am »

This guy pays for his living expenses too, he just doesn't have very many of them.  :P

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 11:54:47 am »

This guy pays for his living expenses too, he just doesn't have very many of them.  :P

He has to live with his parents, for some that would be a steep price to pay.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 03:01:20 pm »
This guy couldn't buy a house even if he wanted to. Because it sounds like he wouldn't know how to cook, clean and do his own laundry.

I know if I was his age and living with my parents I'd be too ashamed to admit it....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...