Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1625913 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #4400 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:27 pm »
I seem to now have a very expensive radio tuner  :'(

After 3 years my Yamaha Aventage receiver stopped working today.  The only thing I can get to work is the tuner and only if I put it on "pure direct".   Nothing else on the audio side works, it converts the video but shows no audio processing on the HDMI channels or other audio.

Sounds like everything on the digital side has quit? So a 'fried' board'? Wonder if you can still use an analog input w/pure direct (to avoid anything digital) and it would still work. Of course, that defeats the purpose of why you bought it in the first place.

Have to love the cheap equipment built today. My 3 year old Denon receiver's display no longer works, lucky that nothing else has stopped. Yet my 25 year old Rotel pre and power amp driving my current hungry Dynaudios are still running great.

My 6-7 y.o. Pioneer is still doing fine, I only needed to get a new remote at some point. No other component of the home theater failed either since I powered everything up through a UPS.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 28, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »
2 new Merino neck Buffs....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4402 on: September 28, 2016, 05:22:25 pm »

These are great. Love mine and am getting way more use out of it than I thought I would have.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 28, 2016, 05:33:26 pm »

These are great. Love mine and am getting way more use out of it than I thought I would have.

JI got the Icebreaker brand this time, since Buff is on crack thinking these are worth $45...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4404 on: September 28, 2016, 05:35:57 pm »
I seem to now have a very expensive radio tuner  :'(

After 3 years my Yamaha Aventage receiver stopped working today.  The only thing I can get to work is the tuner and only if I put it on "pure direct".   Nothing else on the audio side works, it converts the video but shows no audio processing on the HDMI channels or other audio.

Sounds like everything on the digital side has quit? So a 'fried' board'? Wonder if you can still use an analog input w/pure direct (to avoid anything digital) and it would still work. Of course, that defeats the purpose of why you bought it in the first place.

Would you believe I couldn't find any analog cables here to test it with?   I have them at the cottage, I think.

Have to love the cheap equipment built today. My 3 year old Denon receiver's display no longer works, lucky that nothing else has stopped. Yet my 25 year old Rotel pre and power amp driving my current hungry Dynaudios are still running great.

Yup, looks like I'll have to bring my 25 year old Yamaha back from the cottage too.   I'll have to check for warranty, can't remember if I bought extended or not.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4405 on: September 28, 2016, 05:52:06 pm »
Guess I am lucky, never had a component of home theatre fail.  Whether it be TV, receiver, speakers, whatever. 

The only thing that comes close to "failing" are some used speakers I bought on Canuck Audio Mart.  They are Paradigm Atoms, the left one gets distorted when I turn it up, not even that loud. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4406 on: September 28, 2016, 06:00:56 pm »

JI got the Icebreaker brand this time, since Buff is on crack thinking these are worth $45...

Mine is Outdoor Research. Agree about Buff pricing.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4407 on: September 30, 2016, 03:29:20 pm »
Topped off my attic insulation today with the help of a couple of friends. There's a job I hope I never have to repeat!  :P

House is 32x40 and it took 62 bags of blown-in cellulose to more than double what I had.  Garage side didn't need any more. For some reason they originally filled the garage side higher than the house side.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:36:03 pm by KDS2K »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #4408 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »
Topped off my attic insulation today with the help of a couple of friends. There's a job I hope I never have to repeat!  :P

House is 32x40 and it took 62 bags of blown-in cellulose to more than double what I had.  Garage side didn't need anymore. For some reason they originally filled the garage side higher than the house side.

That's no fun!!!  Hate that job... so good work!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 30, 2016, 03:38:53 pm »

House is 32x40 and it took 62 bags of blown-in cellulose to more than double what I had.  Garage side didn't need anymore. For some reason they originally filled the garage side higher than the house side.

Yeah, I wanted to wait for the cool weather befroe tackling that.  Glad it's done!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #4410 on: September 30, 2016, 03:45:27 pm »

Yeah, I wanted to wait for the cool weather befroe tackling that.  Glad it's done!

Nice work. How much did you have to blow in? In terms of height?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:54:15 pm by Hannibalsmith »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #4411 on: September 30, 2016, 03:47:48 pm »
Finally getting around to posting this. Spent a good chunk of Saturday & a couple of hours on Sunday repairing my existing garden shed. Floor was rotting out & my foot went thru it. As I ripped it up I found rotten 2x4's that were used for the framing placed directly on the ground & some cinder blocks! Ended up just doing a patch job, removed some of the rotten framing, braced up some parts & then put new OSB on the floor. Figure this will hold for another 5yrs no problem, but I'll most likely tear it down in the next year or two & build a proper one.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: September 30, 2016, 03:55:14 pm »
The Home Theatre talk above, inspired me to take care of the speakers for the downstairs TV.  One of the Paradigm atoms gets distortion when turned up just a bit.  After a few days of looking at Canuck Audio Mart, and talk to Quadzilla, I picked up some Paradigm monitors V.6, luckily the fit on the stands I have for the Atoms. 

Haven't had the chance to hook them up.  But they sounded good during the demonstration.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: September 30, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »

Around 10-12 inches.  Cost almost $600 bucks even and they lend you the blower for the day, so well worth it IMO. I gave one of my helpers $100 bucks as we used his truck and trailer to get it here and he was the smallest guy, so he did most of the blowing work.  ;D  He refused the money, but I insisted. 

Nice work Gurgie!  The next task for me is to replace my shed doors.  They're built now, but I still have to stain them.  I left a lot of projects until the last minute this season!  :P. Had a great summer though!  8)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:14:57 pm by KDS2K »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #4414 on: September 30, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »
^^ That's not bad

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: September 30, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »

Around 10-12 inches.  Cost almost $600 bucks even and they lend you the blower for the day, so well worth it IMO. I gave one of my helpers $100 bucks as we used his truck and trailer to get it here and he was the smallest guy, so he did most of the blowing work.  ;D  He refused the money, but I insisted. 

Nice work Gurgie!  The next task for me is to replace my shed doors.  They're built now, but I still have to stain them.  I left a lot of projects until the last minute this season!  :P. Had a great summer though!  8)

What kind of blower?  Would a leaf blower work?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4416 on: September 30, 2016, 07:44:23 pm »

What kind of blower?  Would a leaf blower work?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4417 on: October 05, 2016, 12:42:17 pm »
Got a quote for a new furnace yesterday.  looks like I'll be getting a new furnace.  Specifically a Goodman (low end, I know, but by all accounts these days almost just as good as a Keeprite or an Amana) 60 000btu Two-Stage Variable Fan 96% efficient furnace.

It'll be a damn site better than the 50% standard efficiency furnace from 1977 that is currently in my house.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: October 05, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »
Miles better.  And the 2 stage fans are the best - so quiet.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4419 on: October 05, 2016, 12:59:01 pm »
Miles better.  And the 2 stage fans are the best - so quiet.
Two stage fans  ???

maybe multispeed motor
ECM motors are the best now, pricey https://napoleonheatingandcooling.com/faq/ecm-motor/

Noise depends on the ductwork size and the cfm you are moving