Author Topic: Jaguar XE To Premiere In London September 8  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Jaguar XE To Premiere In London September 8
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:48:09 am »

New 'Ingenium' engines, integral link rear suspension, F-type front suspension to be featured on new sedan

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Jaguar XE To Premiere In London September 8
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »
See, this excites me.  I really like that there's new tech coming out, it'll have luxury, lightweight aluminium, focus on performance, and will be reasonably priced around its competition.  As a new model, it won't be "everywhere".  I can see this being a huge hit.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...hearing that the XF will move upmarket, and the XE will be similar in size to the current XF really, really concerns me.  At 195" long and 76" wide, the current XF is clearly a mid-size (5-series, E-class, A6, etc) sedan.  I was REALLY hoping the XE would be a competitor for the compacts (3-series, C-class, A4, etc).  It sounds like it may be pushing size boundaries again.  Bastards.  The XE should be no longer than 186" (based on the A4, which is big, IMO) and no wider than 73".  We'll see in September.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:57:54 pm »
See, this excites me.  I really like that there's new tech coming out, it'll have luxury, lightweight aluminium, focus on performance, and will be reasonably priced around its competition.  As a new model, it won't be "everywhere".  I can see this being a huge hit.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...hearing that the XF will move upmarket, and the XE will be similar in size to the current XF really, really concerns me.  At 195" long and 76" wide, the current XF is clearly a mid-size (5-series, E-class, A6, etc) sedan.  I was REALLY hoping the XE would be a competitor for the compacts (3-series, C-class, A4, etc).  It sounds like it may be pushing size boundaries again.  Bastards.  The XE should be no longer than 186" (based on the A4, which is big, IMO) and no wider than 73".  We'll see in September.

I agree.  If Jag wants to build volume (and dealer viability in smaller markets) they really need a C class/3 series type offering.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:28:27 pm »
The old X-type was ~184" long, 70.4" wide.  That was a nice size.  Bring that one back.  Maybe 72" wide, but no longer.

I suspect the XE won't be as big as the XF, but I do expect it to be larger than the 3-series, which is a shame given that even the 3 has bloated.

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Matrix
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »
There was a time when auto journos were saying the only way for Jaguar to survive was to become a low-volume, niche market automaker, something closer to what Austin Martin is. I'm glad that hasn't happened and doesn't look like it will happen (thanks Tata Motors money), because if this brand became so inaccessible that only a few people could buy their cars it would be a shame. But, Jag cars are still out of the price range for a regular Joes like me and the market is full of BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac and so on. I think rather than compete at the same price range, Jag should go upmarket of those brands, raise prices (slightly) and the level of sophistication and build truly wonderful cars, but still far below the cost of Austin Martin or Bentley. Maybe this new platform will help them become something truly special.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »
But, Jag cars are still out of the price range for a regular Joes like me and the market is full of BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac and so on. I think rather than compete at the same price range, Jag should go upmarket of those brands, raise prices (slightly) and the level of sophistication and build truly wonderful cars, but still far below the cost of Austin Martin or Bentley. Maybe this new platform will help them become something truly special.
Dude, is yo fo serious?

If Tata wants to see a return on investment, volume sales of decent margin vehicles is the way to go - not small-volume, exclusive builds.

The XE won't make them "special"...it'll make Jaguar a solid player in the game of performo-luxury vehicle sales.

The XE will be built to challenge the 3-series, C-Class, etc - not 'outclass' them, undercut them on price, or be a Kia/Hyundai "value" leader.  It'll be true competition - spec for spec, akin to what Cadillac did with the ATS.  It'll prove more successful for Jag than Caddy because Jag will have the reputation for being fancypants whereas Cadillac was the car for the "regular Joe" who wants something nicer.

Cadillac, now, too, is trying to get out of that position and try to move more upmarket to truly compete with BMW, MB, and Audi.

I say bring it on - I love competition (unless it's :censor: Telecomm...that sh!t backfired).

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:47 am »
I'll definitely consider the XE. Jaguar is one of those brands whose products I always really want to like -- amazing that a company with such a spotty history has managed to maintain the allure of its brand. However, I spent a few days with the F-Type S coupe in the UK and it still feels like they have a long way to go. The F has tons of character and sounds fantastic, but the ride is jiggly / unsettled, the steering felt a bit vague, the touchscreen interface is truly terrible, and overall it's objectively nowhere near as good as a 991 911 or even a 997. If I was buying in this segment, I'd want to want the Jag, but ultimately I'd get the Porsche. All of that's to say that I really hope the XE feels more polished and finished than the current Jag lineup, but I'm not quite sure it will.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:30:30 am »
I'll definitely consider the XE. Jaguar is one of those brands whose products I always really want to like -- amazing that a company with such a spotty history has managed to maintain the allure of its brand. However, I spent a few days with the F-Type S coupe in the UK and it still feels like they have a long way to go. The F has tons of character and sounds fantastic, but the ride is jiggly / unsettled, the steering felt a bit vague, the touchscreen interface is truly terrible, and overall it's objectively nowhere near as good as a 991 911 or even a 997. If I was buying in this segment, I'd want to want the Jag, but ultimately I'd get the Porsche. All of that's to say that I really hope the XE feels more polished and finished than the current Jag lineup, but I'm not quite sure it will.

Compare Apples to Apples, here.  The XE won't be a Porsche competitor - it's meant to tackle the 3-series, C-Class, A4, Q50, ATS, etc.  You'd take a Porsche over any of these as well.

As for the F-Type, it's priced as an exclusive buy - not a volume seller.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:04:53 am »
I'm comparing the F-Type, not the XE, to the 911. My point is that Jag products are appealing, but still not up to the standards of the competition, and I hope that isn't true of the XE.

Compare Apples to Apples, here.  The XE won't be a Porsche competitor - it's meant to tackle the 3-series, C-Class, A4, Q50, ATS, etc.  You'd take a Porsche over any of these as well.

As for the F-Type, it's priced as an exclusive buy - not a volume seller.