Author Topic: The 'Brand New' - Honda HR-V Compact SUV for Spring 2015 in Canada  (Read 13092 times)

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
The Brand New - Honda HR-V Compact SUV to be in Canadian dealerships for Spring 2015

If you're interested, go to honda.ca and check out the new Honda HR-V Compact SUV, its their new compact sports Utility Vehicle .  It is all wheel drive, lots of cargo space, its part Coupe, part SUV.  It will be available this Spring 2015.

Its' a little smaller and less expensive than the Honda CR-V, it has a 1.8 liter engine, AWD is available.

I kinda wish they had put a little bigger engine in it, I don't know if I would be satisfied  with the 1.8 liter engine, I'm currently driving a 1998 Pontiac SunFire GT which has a 2.4 liter engine which delivers 150 hp, which is comfortable for me in a car of that weight and size.  Maybe their more advanced 1.8 liter engine would give me similar hp?

At one point the scuttlebutt said that if it sold well, they would offer it with a turbo? That would make it more interesting  ;D

In the promo pics and videos it looks kinda cool, but I've never seen one close up in person?

I was just wondering if anyone on the site had any more information, rumors or opinions on this veichle 

Please let me know what you think  :)

LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: The 'Brand New' - Honda HR-V Compact SUV for Spring 2015 in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:49:48 am »
I might be interested if they offered the manual in high trim levels and/or with AWD but I doubt that's the case.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:36 am »
I've been following this vehicle with interest too, its joining in on this small compact "taller vehicle" segment along with the upcoming Jeep Renegade, Mazda CX-3 (same platform as the Mazda 2) and Fiat 500x (same platform as the Renegade).  It joins a growing list of similar other models in this field, such as the Soul (FWD only), Trax, Juke, Encore, 500L (FWD only).  There would also be the Scion xB (FWD only) but I think that is on its last year of production.

The HR-V uses the same platform as the Fit (that is built in Mexico), but is taller (by 3.2") and is available in FWD or AWD.  It also has the same "magic seats" as the Fit.  The manual version will be a 6-spd and automatics will be a CVT.  The 1.8L engine puts out 138 hp, the Fit uses a 1.5L 130 hp engine.  I'm not sure on this but I think the AWD versions will only come with the CVT.

Never compare rates of hp of an old vehicle vs current ones without first driving one.  My daughter just purchased a 2015 FIT and her previous vehicle was a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am with a V6, she finds no problem with the power and much better when she fills up.  She also can't get over the amount of room she has available.

Info that I've found so far:
Length:  169.1"
Width:  69.8"
Height:  63.2"
Wheelbase:  102.8"
Cargo area behind rear seat - 24.3 cu. ft.
Cargo area behind the front seats - 58.8 cu. ft.
EPA figures converted to metric:  City 8.4, Highway 6.7

These are very close to the dimensions of the Soul that I own.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:17:47 am by conwelpic »

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:35 am »
I kinda wish they had put a little bigger engine in it, I don't know if I would be satisfied  with the 1.8 liter engine, I'm currently driving a 1998 Pontiac SunFire GT which has a 2.4 liter engine which delivers 150 hp, which is comfortable for me in a car of that weight and size.  Maybe their more advanced 1.8 liter engine would give me similar hp?

We've had our Suzuki SX4 for almost 9 years and we really dig these smallish AWD crossover vehicles. That said, I also share your concerns about the power of the 1.8L engine in the HR-V. The SX4 has ~150hp and we would love another 20-30hp so I assume that 138 hp/127 lb-ft of the 1.8L will feel similar in the HR-V.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:15:14 am »
Thanks for the insightful information!

All said and done, I wish they would offer a package with a turbo unit and or a larger engine.

If you live in a snow belt like I do, I think that a 1.8 litter engine would fall short of the strength to get you out of tough "snow situations".  The all wheel drive is GREAT but it demands a little bit more hp.

I'm sure they could do this, I remember when the first Honda CRVs' and RAV-4s' first came out, they were smaller vehicles and quite peppy and fun to drive.

For the Canadian market they need at least a 2.4 litter engine, or a 1.6 with a turbo unit. 

In earlier scuttlebutt they said that if the HR-V sold well they would offer it in AWD, they have already done this, they also said that they would offer a premium version with AWD and a 1.6 litter engine with a turbo unit.

That would be a cool car, and back up its rather aggressive styling.

Thanks for the info, and let me know what you think  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:16 am »

All said and done, I wish they would offer a package with a turbo unit and or a larger engine.

If you live in a snow belt like I do, I think that a 1.8 litter engine would fall short of the strength to get you out of tough "snow situations".  The all wheel drive is GREAT but it demands a little bit more hp.

Nonsense.  How much power do you need to drive through snow?  I drove in snow 1+ foot deep (hitting the bumper, dragging the undercarriage) with my craptastic Toyota Echo..all 105HP worth.  And it got through just fine.  The previous versions of the CR-V (with under 130HP) was fine in the snow as was the older RAV-4 with about the same HP as the new HR-V.  There are many lower HP AWD vehicles even from just a few years ago that got through the worst of winter conditions just fine with 140HP and under.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:31 am »
Screw the Honda, get a Ford Raptor truck.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:27:16 am »

You need to dream bigger. Make it a Hennessy Velociraptor.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:36:14 am »

Nonsense.  How much power do you need to drive through snow?  I drove in snow 1+ foot deep (hitting the bumper, dragging the undercarriage) with my craptastic Toyota Echo..all 105HP worth.  And it got through just fine.  The previous versions of the CR-V (with under 130HP) was fine in the snow as was the older RAV-4 with about the same HP as the new HR-V.  There are many lower HP AWD vehicles even from just a few years ago that got through the worst of winter conditions just fine with 140HP and under.....

:iagree: 

If anything, adding more power will get you into more trouble in the snow, because they accelerate faster, which causes more people to slip and slide.  Same vehicles offered in 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder versions, the 6 cylinder doesn't perform better in the snow.

I think the power for the HR-V is fine for a vehicle that size, it's inline with the competition as well.  Adding a bigger motor will cost Honda money.  Drive up the cost of the unit, make it close the price of a CR-V.  And many people wouldn't buy it.  Why buy a smaller HR-V with the same power of the CR-V, but only $2000 cheaper...  So Honda won't do that, bad business logic. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:00 am »
If you live in a snow belt like I do, I think that a 1.8 litter engine would fall short of the strength to get you out of tough "snow situations".

This makes zero sense.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 12:16:42 pm »

You need to dream bigger. Make it a Hennessy Velociraptor.

Finally, some people that make sense  :P  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:28 pm »
It's designed to be an Urban 'CUV', so hence the engine choice.

It'll be fine, but not for me.

That's cute.  Crocodiles.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »
"Urban CUV".......yucccckkkkkkk......

130hp is just.....no.....slap a turbo on it Honda.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 02:47:26 pm »

:iagree:

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:34 pm »

It looks nice, except for the C-pillar.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 10:41:08 pm »

:iagree: It's a nice-looking car, but I feel like offering AWD as an option on the regular Fit would accomplish pretty much the same thing. I wouldn't pay $22k+ for this thing. In this segment, the Jeep Renegade is cheaper, better looking and more capable (though probably not as reliable). The MINI Countryman is a lot more expensive, but miles ahead in styling, power, features, and almost certainly driving dynamics.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:37 pm »
^ That's what many CUVs are, compacts jacked up a few inches with AWD, and add $4k-$6k of the similar compact.  Like the recently reviewed Tiguan, just a Golf.  The Crosstrek, just an Impreza

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:07:34 am »
My XV is a beast in snow. It only has 148hp. The only time power may be an issue is on the highway.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »
^ That's what many CUVs are, compacts jacked up a few inches with AWD, and add $4k-$6k of the similar compact.  Like the recently reviewed Tiguan, just a Golf.  The Crosstrek, just an Impreza

That's probably why I don't like them. That and most of the AWD systems they come with are an absolute joke - Honda's gotten some flak recently about the system in the 2015 CR-V (which I think is the same as what will be in this HR-V).

I like the Renegade because it has some decent off-road chops and while it shares the 500's platform, isn't just a jacked-up 500. And the Countryman for totally irrational reasons I cannot explain. :D