Author Topic: Which SUV to buy  (Read 2063 times)

Offline avb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: None
Which SUV to buy
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:38 am »
Hi All,

I need some advice on my first car purchase. I want to buy a used SUV, and have shortlisted a few options but can;t seem to decide which one would be the better choice.
As a background, we are a family of 3 and a pet, and would use the SUV for daily commuting and road-trip vacations (maybe 20-30 days per annum)

The options that I have are -
1. 2014 Mazda-CX5 GX (45K km)
2. 2013 Mazda-CX5 GX (39K km)
3. 2013 Ford Escape SEL (42K km)
4. 2013 Ford Escape SE (32K km)
5. 2013 GMC Terrain SLE (26K km)
6. 2012 GMC Terrain SLE (53K km)
7. 2012 Hyundai Tucson Limited (63K km)

These are all AWD and the price is around $17K (give or take $2K).

Basis factors like driving experience, maintenance (ease and costs), and durability, what would be your suggestions?

Thanks
AVB

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Which SUV to buy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:27:54 am »
If I was picking from that list I'd  probably go for option no. 1, 2014 Mazda-CX5 GX.  I don't have much faith in Ford or GM's products being reliable long term and the Hyundai is too old.

What kind of payments are you looking for and over what term?  Reason I ask is on used vehicles you'll almost always pay a higher rate than what is offered on a newer vehicle.

I know that you can get a Nissan Rogue for pretty cheap money and with 0% financing.  Remember that buying 2 year old used vehicle over 5 years and buying a new vehicle over 7 years, you'd end up with a 7 year old vehicle when it's all paid off.  Only difference is the new one you'll know exactly how it was treated and it'll have a longer warranty at the begining of the loan (which is key for a younger buyer who doesn't have much money for repairs early in the car purchase).

I'd also consider an older Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, or Toyota Rav4.  But they won't be under warranty more than likely at $17K.

Offline avb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: None
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:08 am »
Thanks JohnnyMac.
I'm looking to pay this over a period of 3 years.
Price-wise, I'm getting slightly better deals for Rouge & Sorento at about $16K (40k km), but without fancy features such as Rearview cam. I have never driven a Rouge so wasn't sure about it? Something to look at?
I would have gone for CRV but nothing good available in my budget, and didn't really enjoy the overall experience of RAV4 so dropping that.

What kind of payments are you looking for and over what term?  Reason I ask is on used vehicles you'll almost always pay a higher rate than what is offered on a newer vehicle.

I know that you can get a Nissan Rogue for pretty cheap money and with 0% financing.  Remember that buying 2 year old used vehicle over 5 years and buying a new vehicle over 7 years, you'd end up with a 7 year old vehicle when it's all paid off.  Only difference is the new one you'll know exactly how it was treated and it'll have a longer warranty at the begining of the loan (which is key for a younger buyer who doesn't have much money for repairs early in the car purchase).

I'd also consider an older Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, or Toyota Rav4.  But they won't be under warranty more than likely at $17K.

ltruong

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »
in your list I would only consider a Mazda cx5.  I'm not keen on domestic if you plan on keeping long term.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 05:53:30 pm »
I'd say the Mazda although I will admit to an anti-domestic bias.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »
So talk to me about the Escape...1.6T or 2.0T?